collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How many other Prem clubs can spend 30 mill  (Read 14398 times)

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
Re: How many other Prem clubs can spend 30 mill
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2011, 04:02:08 PM »
All of them, if you earn 20 odd million on players sales in 18 months and reinvesty it.

Except we didn't earn 20m in player sales. Nothing like it, in fact.

Not that I'm anything other than 100% behind Randy and glad he's dispelled this ridiculous 'buy to sell notion', but with Milner, Gardner and Shorey - yes we did!

No we didn't.

Firstly, Milner went for 16m plus Ireland. Milner also cost us 11m to begin with. So that's 5m raised.  Gardner and Shorey raised us 4.5m the pair.

Barry went for 12m, yes, but also in that window we bought Downing (12) Delph ( 8 ) Beye (2) Warnock (7) Collins (5) and Dunne (5).

I love some of the simplistic stuff that gets thrown around about transfers. Someone said the other day "it's just the Milner money recycled" as if we found Milner under a bush at Bodymoor Heath or something.

Sorry, we now take out initial transfer fee of players who we sell to see how much we got for them?

I didn't agree with the 'recycled transfer fee' comment when I saw it either, but that's exactly what you're doing! 

How is it what I'm doing? I am pointing out that "sell Milner for 16m, spend 16m on Bent" does not mean "it's just money we got in then spent".

The point which was made was that we raised 20m in player sales, and that we were just reinvesting that. That argument falls down because we didn't raise anything like 20m for those players.

If you spend 11 on something, then shortly after sell it for 16, you haven't raised 16. You've raised 5. Which is exactly the point I made about viewing football transfers so simplistically. We won't even have finished paying Newcastle for James Milner. Just like Sunderland hadn't finished paying Spurs for Bent.

I reckon it must have been the Gray, Deehan, and Gidman money recycled for the 20th time.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2011, 05:23:37 PM »
We had to do some selling.
Milner wanted to go and the others we have moved on were quite frankly shite.

Doesn't alter the fact that Randy has just smashed our transfer record either way.

Offline glasses

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2011, 05:50:32 PM »
Back from work. If we use your method Paulie, would it be fair to say that we havent actually bought Bent, as we haven't paid for him yet?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2011, 05:52:51 PM »
Back from work. If we use your method Paulie, would it be fair to say that we havent actually bought Bent, as we haven't paid for him yet?

No.

We've bought and sold the players in question, my point was that it's not as simple as sell a player, raise some cash, buy another one with everything balancing out and all quits as the figures match.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 05:59:59 PM »
I reckon Citeh, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and if they sold some players Spurs

Offline villa1

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2011, 06:07:22 PM »
and you're all ignoring amortisation as well......

Keep amortisation to yourself will ya! I'm confused enough as it is!

Offline sfx412

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2011, 08:52:44 PM »
all of which flies in the face of those who by the looks of the above still propose we are a sell to buy club ?

Seriously - is everyone avoiding the point, and the Randy priase, on purpose?

Everyone is happy Randy is spending and nobody believes we are sell to buy.  But is it that hard to admit we did do a bit of selling before we bought this time?

are they, happy Randy is spending that is.

No one is arguing we aren't selling players its hard not too see all the unsaleable deadwood going, but does that define us as a selling club or justify those who argued we were.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2011, 09:37:37 AM »
all of which flies in the face of those who by the looks of the above still propose we are a sell to buy club ?

Seriously - is everyone avoiding the point, and the Randy priase, on purpose?

Everyone is happy Randy is spending and nobody believes we are sell to buy.  But is it that hard to admit we did do a bit of selling before we bought this time?

are they, happy Randy is spending that is.

No one is arguing we aren't selling players its hard not too see all the unsaleable deadwood going, but does that define us as a selling club or justify those who argued we were.

Not in my opinion it doesn't.

We're facing a period of high player turnover, so whatever we do get in will of course be spent on whoever Gezza wants, plus extra from Randy.  We're not a selling club as we don't NEED to sell to buy, although we do need those not contributing off the wagebill, but those outisde won't see it like that.  They had an argument ober the last 18 months, when players were going and precious few coming in, but now that is shown to clearly be down to circumstance and not design they'll have to find another way to justify it as opposed to simply saying 'we were wrong'! 

Offline sfx412

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2011, 10:59:36 AM »

Not in my opinion it doesn't.

We're facing a period of high player turnover, so whatever we do get in will of course be spent on whoever Gezza wants, plus extra from Randy.  We're not a selling club as we don't NEED to sell to buy, although we do need those not contributing off the wagebill, but those outisde won't see it like that.  They had an argument ober the last 18 months, when players were going and precious few coming in, but now that is shown to clearly be down to circumstance and not design they'll have to find another way to justify it as opposed to simply saying 'we were wrong'! 
[/quote]

Nicely put

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2011, 11:22:31 AM »
Won't they simply add up the transfer value of the players we have sold since the start of 2010 and deduct the transfer value of the players we have bought since 2010?

And If the sum total is close to zero won't they say with some justification, that they were right and Villa are indeed operating a "sell to buy" policy?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2011, 11:40:50 AM »
Won't they simply add up the transfer value of the players we have sold since the start of 2010 and deduct the transfer value of the players we have bought since 2010?

And If the sum total is close to zero won't they say with some justification, that they were right and Villa are indeed operating a "sell to buy" policy?

Possibly, but then how can we know the intent behind things?

I think Gezza will get what he needs, lets say £30m for arguments sake, so if that £30m can come from shifting the players he doesn't wan then great, but if not Randy will give it to him anyway.  As it goes I think we'll be sitting heavily in the plus column come 01/09/11.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2011, 10:34:10 PM »
I see tonight Villa still top the transfer in and out table with 4 days to go.

Wonder if there will be any of those last minute deals from us we had learned to expect

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2011, 11:26:46 PM »
Haven't read the thread but not many is the answer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal