collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How many other Prem clubs can spend 30 mill  (Read 14408 times)

Offline sfx412

How many other Prem clubs can spend 30 mill
« on: January 24, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
With all the past talk of Randy holding up on the spending and the club needing to sell before they can buy, I wonder how many even amongst the 'top' clubs would, or could have spent what Villa have this January.

OK Man City, but who else. Certainly none below the top 5 and I'd doubt even the top 5 City apart are keen if even able to.
It was the same when we had similar comments prior to Mon outspending most of Europe, twice and I'm sure come the summer many of the same arguments will be dragged out again.

Randy has proven as General K predicted, that he will back a manager when he needs to and doing so while we sat in the relegation zone took some balls for me, especially when the likes of Sir Alex, says no spending, Wenger dithers over 20 mill for a cb, Harry talks plenty but sells and loans off players like Walker and Bentley.

No brave move Randy, here's to a long and prosperous future for Walker, Makoun and especially Bent. Not that a few more players before the 31st wouldn't be nice too.

Offline glasses

Re: How many other Prem clubs can spend 30 mill
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »
All of them, if you earn 20 odd million on players sales in 18 months and reinvesty it.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 12:45:37 PM »
All of them, if you earn 20 odd million on players sales in 18 months and reinvesty it.

Except we didn't earn 20m in player sales. Nothing like it, in fact.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 12:50:15 PM »

Not that I'm anything other than 100% behind Randy and glad he's dispelled this ridiculous 'buy to sell notion', but with Milner, Gardner and Shorey - yes we did!

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:53:27 PM »

Not that I'm anything other than 100% behind Randy and glad he's dispelled this ridiculous 'buy to sell notion', but with Milner, Gardner and Shorey - yes we did!

No we didn't.

Firstly, Milner went for 16m plus Ireland. Milner also cost us 11m to begin with. So that's 5m raised.  Gardner and Shorey raised us 4.5m the pair.

Barry went for 12m, yes, but also in that window we bought Downing (12) Delph ( 8 ) Beye (2) Warnock (7) Collins (5) and Dunne (5).

I love some of the simplistic stuff that gets thrown around about transfers. Someone said the other day "it's just the Milner money recycled" as if we found Milner under a bush at Bodymoor Heath or something.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:54:59 PM by pauliebentnuts »

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 12:54:22 PM »
A quote today from peter pan about Carson Yeung's outlay at The Sty:

"Carson has so far, in aggregate, spent £26.3million since his arrival," he said in the Daily Mail.
"Unfortunately, most of the purchases have not been playing much and have not improved the team directly.
"There are no blames here against anybody. These things do happen. Equally, no one can blame him if he feels he is not sure if his money is well spent."

I guess all owners must think the same when approached by managers for cash, and to be honest who can blame them when they see how it gets wasted. It doesn't seem to matter at Man City that people like Adebayor cost a fortune and don't play, but at EVERY other club it matters.

Offline glasses

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 12:55:04 PM »
Not meant as a dig at Randy at all, before that starts, but since the start of last season, we didnt buy any players (Ireland aside), and sold Milner for approx £18m, Gardner £5m ish and Shorey went for £1m ish IIRC. Easily ove £20m

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 12:56:48 PM »
Not meant as a dig at Randy at all, before that starts, but since the start of last season, we didnt buy any players (Ireland aside), and sold Milner for approx £18m, Gardner £5m ish and Shorey went for £1m ish IIRC. Easily ove £20m

See above. Nothing like 20m

Not only was Milner not free, I bet we hadn't even finished paying Newcastle for him. They would still want paying.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 12:58:24 PM »
We also made a huge loss on Shitwell

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 12:59:24 PM »

No we didn't.

Firstly, Milner went for 16m plus Ireland. Milner also cost us 11m to begin with. So that's 5m raised.  Gardner and Shorey raised us 4.5m the pair.

Barry went for 12m, yes, but also in that window we bought Downing (12) Delph ( 8 ) Beye (2) Warnock (7) Collins (5) and Dunne (5).

I love some of the simplistic stuff that gets thrown around about transfers. Someone said the other day "it's just the Milner money recycled" as if we found Milner under a bush at Bodymoor Heath or something.
Once again the facts get in the way of a good story :)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 01:00:28 PM »

No we didn't.

Sorry, we now take out initial transfer fee of players who we sell to see how much we got for them?

I didn't agree with the 'recycled transfer fee' comment when I saw it either, but that's exactly what you're doing! 

Offline sfx412

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 01:04:14 PM »
Perhaps I was hasty in suggesting it would be the summer before the knockers came out :).

I'm sure every club has sold players, Sunderland for instance, but have they reinvested it as regularly as Randy. Even Abramovich has slowed the spend and he's won things and has an ageing squad.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 01:04:19 PM »

No we didn't.

Sorry, we now take out initial transfer fee of players who we sell to see how much we got for them?

I didn't agree with the 'recycled transfer fee' comment when I saw it either, but that's exactly what you're doing! 

How is it what I'm doing? I am pointing out that "sell Milner for 16m, spend 16m on Bent" does not mean "it's just money we got in then spent".

The point which was made was that we raised 20m in player sales, and that we were just reinvesting that. That argument falls down because we didn't raise anything like 20m for those players.

If you spend 11 on something, then shortly after sell it for 16, you haven't raised 16. You've raised 5. Which is exactly the point I made about viewing football transfers so simplistically. We won't even have finished paying Newcastle for James Milner. Just like Sunderland hadn't finished paying Spurs for Bent.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 01:04:26 PM »

Nothing like it? We got £18m for Milner alone plus £3m for Gardener then whatever for Knight and Shorey.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 01:06:15 PM »

Nothing like it? We got £18m for Milner alone plus £3m for Gardener then whatever for Knight and Shorey.

See the point above re Newcastle.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal