collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 30M% Villa: Milner and Barry.  (Read 17410 times)

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
Re: 30M% Villa: Milner and Barry.
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 10:51:55 PM »
I don't boo Barry, no matter how he left, he was still a great player for over 10 years for us.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
I don't boo Barry, no matter how he left, he was still a great player for over 10 years for us.

I don't boo him either.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's an absolute ****** of the highest order (think Evening Mail front pages), I just don't express this opinion via booing.

I do it by slowly shaking my head and tutting at him whilst at the game, or muttering "fat arsed money grabbing ******" when watching him on the telly (to be honest, even this vocal expression of distaste is more about annoying my Mrs than him, as she knows I'm going to do it every single time, but being a woman is genetically incapable of just letting it go, and has to tell me to 'grow up').

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 11:15:11 PM »
 I think someone posted on another thread that a lot of players will go to man city to earn 5 years money in 2. well Barrys 2 years are nearly up

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 11:18:11 PM »
I think someone posted on another thread that a lot of players will go to man city to earn 5 years money in 2. well Barrys 2 years are nearly up
Good thing for him that he managed to get a five year deal out of them.

So whatever happens he's more or less assured of getting circa £40m out of Man City between now and 2014.

That'll buy a lot of invisible ink-written party invitations.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 12:39:42 AM »
Nah.

Milner is genuine quality. He'd slot into Fergie's team easily, he has that energy as a player so many United players seem to have (Berbatov is an exception) and has admiring drive and determination.

After seeing how Milner was a player for us he's not the sort that wants to be picking up a luxourious salaray every week for just starting the odd game and being mainly used as a sub.  Carry on like that for another year or so with not getting any oppotunities and he'll be off.

Would be great to have him back in our team and he doesn't really have much of an ego that stops him swallowing his pride unlike Barry who just really embarrassed yesterday. The occasion of going back to his old club played havoc with his game.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 01:09:19 AM »
I don't think either of them are unhappy up there or regretting their moves.
In a midfield that boasts the likes of Silva, Johnson, De Jong, Yaya Toure and occasionally Vieira, Barry has so far started 21 out of 24 league games and come on as sub in another 2. Milner has started 15 and come on in another 6. So they're hardly on the outside looking in!
They're making enough money to secure them for life.. they're very much part of a squad that's chasing and capable of attaining league, fa cup and/or europa league success this season... and every day they turn up to work to train with the likes of Tevez and Silva.
Milner in particular, who is still young and hungry, will pick up so much from players of the calibre of the two mentioned and experienced midfielders like Vieira, De Jong and Yaya, he would be mad to even think of leaving at this stage.
I think people are just looking at the fact they didn't feature much in two games against us.

And as for Milner going to ManU - not a cat in hell's chance. You won't see City sell anyone decent to any of their rivals - they hardly need the money do they. Besides, Milner and his parents are such big Leeds fans he'd never go there.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:17:02 AM by DeKuip »

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 02:08:20 AM »
Milner not playing every week is such a waste.

Great player and we miss him immensely. He made his bed though, he can lie in it.

Offline Sir Paul Merson

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 03:34:37 AM »
I am sad to say Man City will be awsome in a couple of years and Barry and Milner will be moved on (hopefully milner to Villa)
I still think his heart is with the Villa when he was warming up the other night he looked like he didnt want to come on. but then again after Barry got booed perhaps it was that

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 07:35:12 AM »
I'd take Milner back in a heartbeat.

Ba££y is sliding these days, he'll be off from Man City, perhaps at the end of the season.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2011, 08:23:33 AM »
They did say the only shirt worth pulling on after a Villa shirt was an England one.

Now i suppose that should be changed?

The only shirt worth pulling on after a Villa shirt is your National one.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 08:33:39 AM »
I don't think either of them are unhappy up there or regretting their moves.
In a midfield that boasts the likes of Silva, Johnson, De Jong, Yaya Toure and occasionally Vieira, Barry has so far started 21 out of 24 league games and come on as sub in another 2. Milner has started 15 and come on in another 6. So they're hardly on the outside looking in!
They're making enough money to secure them for life.. they're very much part of a squad that's chasing and capable of attaining league, fa cup and/or europa league success this season... and every day they turn up to work to train with the likes of Tevez and Silva.
Milner in particular, who is still young and hungry, will pick up so much from players of the calibre of the two mentioned and experienced midfielders like Vieira, De Jong and Yaya, he would be mad to even think of leaving at this stage.
I think people are just looking at the fact they didn't feature much in two games against us.

And as for Milner going to ManU - not a cat in hell's chance. You won't see City sell anyone decent to any of their rivals - they hardly need the money do they. Besides, Milner and his parents are such big Leeds fans he'd never go there.

I think this is a spot on post.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2011, 09:30:45 AM »
It's when the big games up though, the FA Cup semis and UEFA cup semis and possibly finals when Milner is on the bench that it might hit home that a big fat contract is not the most important thing in life.

I'd love him back at the Villa but it's just not going to happen.

As an aside how hard is Nigel de Jong, I wouldn't fancy a 50-50 with him, he looks like he goes in to really hurt people.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2011, 09:37:23 AM »
Can't see Milner going to Man Utd - they have too much arrogance to consider taking a player from their local rivals bench, IMO.

As someone mentioned above, they're getting enough games to keep them happy for now.  What will be interesting is what happens if/when they qualify for the CL and the really top players start taking them seriously?  I think then they'll become far enough down the pecking order to make leaving a possibility, at which time I'd make our play to get Milner back, but I'm taking Jan 2012 or the following summer.

Offline Merv

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2011, 09:40:12 AM »
I can't see Barry still being a starter at City next season - I think he's benefited so far from the fact that Mancini is a conservative sort of manager. If you have a midfield three, and De Jong and Yaya Toure are nailed-on starters, you should want your third CM to be a bit more attack-minded. It should be Milner, but he goes with Barry instead. Wrong choice. But then again, if I were Mancini, I'd always start with Adam Johnson, I think he's a hell of a player.

I was confident when we sold him that we'd seen the best of Barry, and I think we did. But I feel a bit sad for Milner, he's been overlooked a bit at City. Don't care how many games he's started, they haven't got anywhere near the best out of him and he looks half the player he was for us last season. Personally, I was relieved they kept him on the bench against us.

I'd have Milner back in a heartbeat. Doubt it'll happen though.

Offline Captain Trips

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 10:24:06 AM »
If Ashley is off in the summer as he may well be, would u offer him to Citeh in a swap for Jimmy M? If Ash doesn't want to sign a new contract, use him as bait for someone we want.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal