collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by manic-road
[Today at 08:47:07 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 08:29:45 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:28:13 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by N'ZMAV
[Today at 08:20:02 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by RamboandBruno
[Today at 08:13:06 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 08:11:19 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 08:06:29 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Godfrey Brian
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The hypocrisy of Steve Bruce  (Read 29829 times)

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: The hypocrisy of Steve Bruce
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 06:06:33 PM »
Quinn has no claim to the moral high ground after diving to win a penalty at Maine Road in one of the early Venglos games.

If you want to gob off, you better have a good memory.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 06:19:54 PM »
Never liked Steve Bruce, especially after he scored a couple of late goals against Sheff Wed, then he went and managed up the road,
i mean he does make it hard to like him

Offline bob

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 07:45:50 PM »
I dunno what the big deal is about 'tapping up' anyway.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 09:55:56 PM »
What happened on Sunday night was the following and this is why Sunderland are upset:-

Villa Park: "Mr Lerner, theres a Mr Quinn on the phone for you".
RL: "Ok, put him through".
NQ: "Hello Randy, I was just calling to ask if you are willing to sell us young Mr Downing for 10M pounds?
RL: "Sorry, Niall he's not for sale. I'm glad you called actually as I want to sign Darren Bent, how much do you want for him"?
NQ: "Hang on a Sec (covers phone) "Hey Brucie, the Yank wants Bent (ha, ha), how much shall we quote him, to get rid of him (ha, ha)"?
SB: (In background) "Tell him 18million, they wont have that kind of money"
NQ: "Randy, you can have Bent for 18 million (much laughter)".
RL: "Ok, not problem, who do I make the cheque payable to? Oh and I'll add an extra 100 pound so you can send him down tomorrow in a taxi"
NQ & SB: "Oh shit, what have we done"   

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 09:57:58 PM »
I like it JD.

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 10:09:24 PM »
Very good, JD.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 10:33:14 PM »
quote author=Nev link=topic=41938.msg1683205#msg1683205 date=1295460393]
Quinn has no claim to the moral high ground after diving to win a penalty at Maine Road in one of the early Venglos games.

If you want to gob off, you better have a good memory.
[/quote]

Damn straight Nev, we battered 'em as well.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 01:41:29 AM »
In fairness wasn't it last Friday or so, certainly well before Sunday when Bent handed in his transfer request, that Pelty and possibly Dave were saying we were working on a big signing?

Surely Bent was aware of our interest at that stage despite saying in the press conference last night that he found out after the Sunderland-Noocassil game on Sunday.
Wrapping up a transfer like that in less than two days rarely happens, especially when so much money is at stake. If we didn't tap him up I think he must have known before the weekend that we were wanted him.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 02:23:07 AM »
Do like Bruce. But he really has not got the past record to give "our" Darren a morale lesson .........

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 07:48:31 AM »
I do get the feeling Bruce and Quinn are rubbing their hands behind the scenes despite all this bluster.  They've doubled their money on Bent and already have a potential replacement in Gyan. 

I can appreciate the fans frustration mind, they're just on the cusp of something sitting in 6th and their top scorer fucks off to a club (albeit a bigger club) who are having  a mare of a season. 

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 11:34:01 AM »
I do get the feeling Bruce and Quinn are rubbing their hands behind the scenes despite all this bluster.  They've doubled their money on Bent and already have a potential replacement in Gyan. 

I can appreciate the fans frustration mind, they're just on the cusp of something sitting in 6th and their top scorer fucks off to a club (albeit a bigger club) who are having  a mare of a season. 

If you swap the 6 points lost to Sunderland this season in the two matches we should have won , we would be level on points.We would be viewing this move as pushing on for Euro qualification.

Offline villajk

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 02:45:57 PM »
He'll be speaking on SSN in a few minutes regarding the move.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »
Its already on their website, doesn't say a lot other than they are looking forward rather than backward.

Offline villajk

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Its already on their website, doesn't say a lot other than they are looking forward rather than backward.

SSN said there was going to be fireworks.  How disappointing.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 02:49:39 PM »
Steve Bruce has said his piece over the Darren Bent transfer - before urging his camp to move on.
The Sunderland boss admits he was shocked by the timing of the transfer request made by Bent, who joined the club from Spurs for £10m in 2009.
The striker made his move to Aston Villa earlier in the week after informing Bruce of his intention to leave the club.
And while the Stadium of Light chief has been frustrated with the circumstances, he says he is concentrating on moving the club forward.
Sunderland currently sit sixth in the Barclays Premier League and as far as the manager is concerned, the squad will move forward as a unit.
Speaking exclusively to safc.com, he said: "I think it was a shock to us all. The timing of it was the worst things for me.
"If you get an indication that a player is desperately unhappy then you put plans in place to replace him.
"As I said in the statement I gave out, we're all bitterly disappointed, from the staff to the supporters and most importantly his team-mates.
"I feel he has let them down by basically walking out of the club with us in such a strong position.
"But there you have it - it's history and we will move on.
"It is vital we draw a line under this now. My most important focus is on the players who want to be here and who have achieved so much this season up to now.
"It's important we make sure we're fully focused. Let's not kid ourselves - we've lost a good player but as far as I'm concerned I'd rather concentrate on the players I've got sat behind me who want to play."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal