collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The hypocrisy of Steve Bruce  (Read 29805 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: The hypocrisy of Steve Bruce
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2011, 08:36:18 AM »
The columnists seem to be lining up to give fistface a shoeing now.

Des Kelly in the Mail. I dont have the quote option on here I'm afraid

Loyalty? Forget Bent. Bruce has jumped ship even more than Jack Sparrow

By Des Kelly Last updated at 1:57 AM on 22nd January 2011

My apologies for turning this column into a game of Hangman, but it is unavoidable if I am to use a phrase that is often bandied about in business negotiations. The saying is: 'Loyalty is what they **** you with'.

If you've been watching football in recent years, you will be perfectly capable of filling in the blanks. If not, here's a clue: Wayne Rooney can say the word.

Seriously, is there anyone out there who believes the concept of loyalty exists in football any more? I ask because the hypocrisy and claptrap that has been doing the rounds since Darren Bent's transfer from Sunderland to Aston Villa has been staggering to behold.
All at sea: how Steve Bruce would appear in Pirates of the Caribbean

Apparently Bent is a traitor, Judas, mercenary or a combination of all three because he changed jobs for more money. Some unevolved specimens of humanity even went on Twitter to post death threats, proving you don't necessarily need opposable thumbs to type. Well, grow up.

We hear this nonsense every time a player switches clubs. While a certain amount of hollow outrage is to be expected from fans, as their allegiances are understandably blind, what is truly depressing is the fact that professionals in the game, who should know better, have been feeding this indignant twaddle.

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce has been the prime culprit, complaining bitterly like a jilted lover. First there was denial, then anger; next comes bargaining, depression and finally acceptance - hopefully before the week is through. Right now he is stuck in his tearful denial stage, sobbing loudly about how 'the club as a whole have every right to feel massively let down' by Bent.

That's rubbish. Nobody has any right whatsoever. Bent has done exactly what any plumber, builder, journalist or football manager would do. He has accepted a chance to earn considerably more money - a pay rise of 33 per cent, we hear - from another employer. Playing football is his job, not some dysfunctional marriage that needs saving for the sake of the little kiddies.

Besides, Bruce is not best placed to offer judgment from any moral high ground. His history shows he has a chameleon-like ability to change colours if there's more money or a new opportunity to be had.

As many will remind him, he walked out of Wigan Athletic after just eight weeks. The glue holding his nameplate to the office door barely had time to dry before he was off to take charge at Crystal Palace.

But that wasn't enough, as he then quit Palace just 11 weeks into the new season for the job at Birmingham City. By now they had given up with nameplates and were just sticking an Etch-A-Sketch to Bruce's office door with a picture of a cuckoo on it.

The man is now on his seventh club as a boss. At least when Robert Maxwell jumped ship he had the decency to disappear. Bruce, however, has been leaping from rigging to rigging like Captain Jack Sparrow on speed, plundering riches merrily along the way.

The trait is not just confined to his management career, either. Those with longer memories will recall how Bruce went on strike at Norwich City and refused to play when his proposed transfer to Manchester United hit a hitch over the transfer fee. He insisted the club were 'denying him the move of a lifetime' and, in the end, Bruce had his way. Loyalty didn't figure greatly in the process.

Don't get me wrong. Bruce is a personable man, a good manager at Sunderland and he is entitled to pursue opportunities in the game as and when they arise. My issue is with his inability to apply the same principles to Bent. Either way, I'm sure we can agree he's hardly in a position to preach to anybody about 'loyalty' in football.

Then there are the journalists pontificating on Bent's decision. They seem to be people who have a) never been offered a job elsewhere and remain unburdened by the concept of choice, or b) forgotten they would run headlong into the arms of a new employer if they offered so much as a better mileage rate.
You'd have done the same too: New Aston Villa signing Darren Bent (right) poses with Gerrard Houllier (left)

One asked: 'What is left for fans to believe? Does it mean that every time they watch their idols kiss the club badge they are watching nothing but a cruel counterfeit?'

Hmm, let's think about that for a moment. I'm guessing the answer is 'yes', unless they still believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

Basically, Bruce has to trot out this loyalty tosh to counter the idea that Sunderland haven't been embarrassed by the Villa swoop, but the media don't have to swallow it.

People who deserve loyalty usually receive it. Loyalty is a two-way street. Let's be honest, Sunderland, like every other top club, would have had no hesitation dumping a player if it suited their ends and I doubt they will be overly concerned about the sensitivities of any rivals when they go out to spend their £24million windfall on replacements.

Besides, should Bruce ever get the call for the Manchester United job or for the England post, hands up all of those who think 'loyalty' to Sunderland will hold him back? I thought so.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1349429/Des-Kelly-Loyalty-Forget-Bent-Bruce-jumped-ship-Jack-Sparrow.html#ixzz1BkdUid4m

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2011, 08:50:19 AM »
Lovely :)

Offline Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2011, 11:52:13 AM »
Perhaps if it carries on, we should send lil lee up to Sunderland to "sort" out the situation again

Online The Man With A Stick

« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2011, 07:59:46 PM »
A face like a burst bag of dogdirt.

Offline Mitcham

« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2011, 08:35:33 PM »
From Sky....

On the possibility of signing Fuller, Bruce added: "I think it would be wrong for me to mention other people's players after the week I've had.

"But he is something we are interested in.

Good that he didn't say anything then, wonder if he has called Pulis yet?

Online FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2011, 11:43:11 PM »
What a whinging Tit, I think he tries to emulate (badly)  the ferguson siege mentality-(refs getting the big decisions wrong,every week on motd,moaning about Newcastle playing inappropriate songs ,and now Villa tapping up Bent). The guy needs a big F*cking dress
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:04:22 AM by frankyh »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal