collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: On top of the hill, next to Aston Hall  (Read 4199 times)

Offline holytrinidad_1984

On top of the hill, next to Aston Hall
« on: January 19, 2011, 01:37:20 AM »
Hi there,
I've been leering like a peeping Tom stood on top of the hill next to Aston Hall for too long now whilst watching you lot ranting and raving so I've decided to walk down the hill and have my two penneth worth.

I've always enjoyed reading your posts and general chit chat though never really felt compelled to post. However, with recent goings on, I couldn't help but sign up and have my say as some of the recent posts have been infuriating to read.

I won't give you the emotional spiel (though it can be nolstalgic to cast your mind back from time to time.) First match QPR 1992 (1-0 defeat.) First memory was walking through the Trinity door and seeing this man mountain of a man with #5 on his back warming up on a centre-circle built on clay, terrible pitch, beautiful stand. From this dismal display on, I was utterly hooked. (like I said, I won't give you the spiel!!) Anyway, almost 20 years (bloody hell) 7 managers and a handful of trophies - some more meaningful than others - I find myself bemused by some of the fickle (and I am well aware of the significance of this particular word as a Villa fan) nature of some of us.

Undoubtedly, results have been desperately disappointing this season, this is a given. However, I have to say that some of the things I have read about on here and heard said elsewhere have been appaling and typifies some of the reactionary, deluded nature of some of our supporters.

The anti-Randy stuff has been particulary embarrassing as I understand that this forum is often frequented by the board. I for one shall be eternally grateful for the contribution he has made to our club and long may it continue. Perhaps some of our younger posters (this is not intended to sound condescending) may not remember the days when we were forced to hold £ signs up in order to force signings and I'm sure many of us feel that had we invested more money (in the days before transfer windows) we may have been able to achieve something special, but of course this is all in the past as is far from true under the current ownership. Perhaps my only criticism of RL would be that he was too leniant with the purse strings under MON as quite frankly some of his signings were horrific (though I am not wishing to take away from what MON did for our club. This must never be forgotten after suffering from the horrible man from the other side of the Irish border) Unfortunately, despite the rapid progress we made under him, you cannot ignore that for all of the Ashley Youngs and James Milners there were the Sidwells and Davies and Knights....and Beyes....and Shoreys....Maloneys to name but a few.

So we find ourselves now in a time of crisis and naturally you panic. Though no strangers to mediocrity, the notion of relegation is something all but alien to us supporters save for a couple of flirtations in 95 and 06 if memory serves. First instict: panic. Second instict: blame. GH has had my backing ever since his appointment and will continue to do so until May for the very least. Some of the vitirol spouted his way has been frankly alarming and pathetic not to mention contradictory. From some of the post-match chelsea comments ("stick by him, this result will be season turning point") to the Sunderland comments which were verging on ridiculous.

Now, why didn't I say this before Makoun and Bent and Walker were signed you ask? Because it would have been even easier to state my case. I want to see a plan, a philosophy and this is something that GH hinted at today at the press conference. To quote Stephen Patrick Morrissey "these things take time." Not that much time though. We all hate him but look what Boycie is doing at Spurs with a plan (skillfull, rapid and very easy on the eye) and some backing from the board. Though Arsenal have not won anything for a while, it  does not detract from the fact that Wenger has created a football club with an identity and is why they're now where they are in the league and why Liverpool are now where they are. The best football clubs are the best football clubs because they adopt and follow a clear footballing philosophy or principle. I live in Barcelona and this has never been more clearly demonstrated than by them at the moment. Fergie (particulary in terms of principles and policies) has I don't suppose many people would argue against the logevity-success link. Benitez for his achievements didn't seem to have a clear vision and paid the price with some dismal signings and poor league position though of course you must not overlook the impact of the two jokers running the show. This is not something we can use as an excuse for us.

I know it has been heartbreaking at times this season (Barcodes away, Blackburn away scum in the cup spring to mind) but these were the same players that were available when he came into the job with exception of Pires who most people would have said was worth a punt at the time. Assuming he can aquire some more players and shift some of the dead wood, we won't have a real idea of the direction of the club until the end of the season. I am going to stick my neck online the line and say that come the end of season we shall be asking ourselves what all the fuss about relegation at Christmas was despite knowing that if this isn't the case, I could be gorging on humble pie and returning to my position on top of the hill next to Aston Hall with my battered lion's tail firmly between my legs but for now I shall be backing the team and the manager unconditionally from now until the end of the seadson.
UTV

Offline Greg N'Ash

Re: On top of the hill, next to Aston Hall
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 01:49:28 AM »
Anyone who quotes the smiths can't be all bad, though thats a bloody long debut post. glad you've un-lurked.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 01:52:17 AM »
Nice post and welcome to the forum.

I think I can agree with pretty much all you've said however I've never really noticed any 'anti-Randy Lerner' posts flying around. In the position we're in Houllier was always going to be #1 in the blame game, we've all been frustrated but for people to solely blame Houllier are wrong. It's been a very strange season and lots of things have happened, and circumstances took over and that is why we're in the position we're in. Most people who don't want Houllier as manager perhaps didn't want him in the first place.

We've now got a fit and healthy team, we've obviously got to turn it around otherwise it could get very, very ugly; but we've made our intentions clear and I'm thrilled with the signings so far. I do believe we will stay up hopefully (although it's looking very grim right now), just take it game by game and we're going to get better.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 07:23:08 AM »
I've never really noticed any 'anti-Randy Lerner' posts flying around.

Nor me, this is how things get blown out of all proportion.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:28:56 AM »
Welcome holytrinidad is the view good from the hill?
UTV

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:02:26 AM »
I live in Barcelona...
Fuck! Axurit, we are almost neighbours!

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 08:37:23 AM »
Welcome and thank you for an interesting first post. I am similar to yourself  having watched the postings on this fantastic site with interest and sometimes amusement, but I will defend some of the more outlandish posters as being a necessary part of any football club. Agreed they can be contradictory, emotional, inflammatory and vitriolic but can't anyone of passion be at times of crisis? Very often views expressed come immediately after a defeat or a poor performance and spleens must be vented.

I may disagree with what is sometime said ( I was, and still am, a MON fan) and have found the comments against O'Neill hard to take- OK he signed some duffers, how easy life would be with hindsight. Lest we forget that Fergie signed the Djemba twins and Kleberson so even the percieved greats can make errors, and durings MONs tenure he did build a side full of English youth and promise and I cannot remember a time during my following (42 years) the Villa of having so many of our players involved with the England squad. However, I will always respect the right for everyone to express an opinion or view and I have found always this site to be a community of mutual respect.

My only concern at the moment is a lack of passion by all of us inside the ground as regards vocal support- I am sure that with DB's arrival and an early goal on Saturday we all start to truly support this wonderful, erratic,heartbreaking, joyous institution that is Aston Villa Football Club.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:10:21 AM »
Hi there.  Just wondering if you frequent the Republic House on a Villa match day as you live in Barcelona?  It's where the Barcelona lions meet.

Good post btw.

Offline philthebar

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »
'Though no strangers to mediocrity, the notion of relegation is something all but alien to us supporters save for a couple of flirtations in 95 and 06 if memory serves.'

Well I for one remember the 2nd and 3rd Divisions.

Apart from that, interesting read.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 09:29:05 AM »
Nice read, hope you stick around holytrinidad.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 09:39:12 AM »
Excellent post Holytrinidad, welcome to the footballing fanzine equivalent of Arkham Asylum! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HEHEHEHEHEHE

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 11:09:59 AM »
Good post Holytrinidad welcome aboard.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal