collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:38:25 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

Brian Evans by maidstonevillain
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Jacob Ramsey by AV84
[Today at 12:12:05 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 12:04:41 AM]

Matty Cash - Polish international by PeterWithe
[Today at 12:03:00 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:02:34 AM]

Press-ing on triumphantly by dave.woodhall
[April 18, 2024, 11:47:47 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier's revolution  (Read 16097 times)

Offline Greg N'Ash

Houllier's revolution
« on: January 19, 2011, 01:17:52 AM »
Haven't seen this mentioned yet but this is bit more than tinkering in a January transfer window from a new manager. Most people expected new faces but he's not just fiddling with the team and replacing the parts, but seems to be stripping it down to the chassis (though some would say the motor was sold last summer). okay most sane villa fans wanted to see the back of MON's hateful hoofball team as long as results imporved long term but still he's changing things at an incredible rate.

To my mind he's decided that not only is he not happy with all the players, but he doesn't even trust some of them to fill in temporary.

Bent, Makoun, central defender? - looks like a spine of a team to me. Walker, a few more maybe and i reckon we'll lose at least one unexpected name as well as hopefully a few more duds

Fairplay to Randy for financing it but i can't ever remember this sort of reconstruction in such a short time period
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:40:14 AM by gregnash »

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
Re: Houllier's revolution
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 01:36:55 AM »
I think we became used to not a lot changing under O'Neill- and to be fair, that lack of change seemed to work- in terms of results, if not in beauty of football. But it is strange - exciting, I would say- to feel that Houllier isn't just here to sit around, but is actually trying to build his idea of a team. Although, when it comes down to it, that's exactly what he should be doing!

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 01:42:17 AM »
Have to agree. i'm a bit nervous about how it will turn out but its certainly.... different

Offline Muscle-Dolphin

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 01:46:15 AM »
I'll feel better when he unloads Ireland (WTF is his problem anyways?) and Carew.  Petrov needs to be replaced as captain.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 01:52:47 AM »
its like the night of the long knives, except over a....er month. I reckon they've found a buyer and ireland is off

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 07:27:08 AM »
I'm really excited, Bent is nailed on to start banging them in for Villa!

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 07:56:35 AM »
Kiss of death.....

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 08:53:23 AM »
Kiss of death.....

ha ha, anyone remember David Geddis ?

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 08:58:38 AM »
With all the stick that Houllier has had recently, I will be even more delighted if he finds great success at Villa. I have never previously witnessed such a vicious turn against a manager and have found the whole thing distinctly unpleasant. I am not against those with valid opinions but a lot of the vitriol that has been said and published (the Villa Facebook page is a particular example) has been by moronic individuals that simply follow like sheep. The same people are always to be found singing the praises of any potential player whose name appears in the press without ever having heard of the player before. As I said, there are plenty with valid reasons, which I respect, but there are also many jumping on this bandwagon who have no brain at all.

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
£24 million quid for Bent? At that rate I'm worth a cool 12 million on condition I only play for 5 minutes and kick with my right foot, because with my left foot direction is a problem. He might be useful, because Lord knows the Villa's needs are desperate. However, it looks as if someone was very desperate indeed.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 09:05:46 AM »
Kiss of death.....

So you're comparing Geddis' 44 league appearances and 5 goals prior to joing us with Bent's better than 2 in 1 goal ratio over a five year period? Why not compare Bent with John Woodward while you're at it :-)

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 09:06:48 AM »
think there are three groups really. those that want to give him a try, those who are not happy with him because of results and who have a valid point, and those that want him out because he's not MON with most of the vitriol from the latter

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 09:09:46 AM »
think there are three groups really. those that want to give him a try, those who are not happy with him because of results and who have a valid point, and those that want him out because he's not MON with most of the vitriol from the latter

In a nutshell!

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 09:15:26 AM »
Kiss of death.....

So you're comparing Geddis' 44 league appearances and 5 goals prior to joing us with Bent's better than 2 in 1 goal ratio over a five year period? Why not compare Bent with John Woodward while you're at it :-)

not really mate,. it was just a throw away coment/joke,
hence the ha ha at the start

Offline TonyD

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 09:35:25 AM »
More great signings like Walker, Bent and Makoun and he will indeed have rebulit the team in double quick time. I hope we keep all our young homegrown players and Gabby is still a regular. Just needs to get sell on about 6 players and the revolution will be complete.  Oh and start winning games:)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal