collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why are the Media so Anti-Villa?  (Read 90201 times)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Re: Why are the Media so Anti-Villa?
« Reply #390 on: February 11, 2011, 02:42:28 PM »
Why not include the last two games of the season?

because I was responding to the claim that the improvement lasted for only a few games in December by pointing out that the good run of form lasted for 5 months.

Besides, the point at hand was how 'fluid' Villa's football was, and that kind of fluidity WAS confined to those few weeks near the end of 20009.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #391 on: February 11, 2011, 02:50:47 PM »

because I was responding to the claim that the improvement lasted for only a few games in December by pointing out that the good run of form lasted for 5 months.

Besides, the point at hand was how 'fluid' Villa's football was, and that kind of fluidity WAS confined to those few weeks near the end of 20009.

Do you reckon we'll have won the cup by then?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #392 on: February 11, 2011, 02:52:07 PM »
I think a large part of the reason we saw that fluidity peter out was the lack of a pre-season for Downing catching up on him after the initial adrenaline surge of being back playing football again.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #393 on: February 11, 2011, 03:19:40 PM »

Do you reckon we'll have won the cup by then?

Our martian right back will be the toast of Aston.  But he'll only be on loan from Sporting Uranus.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #394 on: February 11, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »
The most fluid I ever saw us under Martin was when Downing first got into the team and he, Milner and Ash were interchanging beautifully.

Agreed.  Just before Christmas 2009, we played some good stuff for a few games.

Then teams worked out that all you had to do was close down our midfield in the centre and we'd basically stop scoring because we'd have so few options and would end up having to pass back to Cuellar, who'd duly thump it away.

The 30 odd games that Downing played between the beginning of December and end of April coincided with our most consistent period during MON's tenure P32 W18 D9 L5, the defeats were against Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea*2 and Man Utd. We were a very fine team.

Problem there was the 9 draws, which is pushing one every third game, and if I remember rightly weren't against clubs we'd be happy enough with a point against.

Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs, Everton, Sunderland were decent results. The other 4 West Ham, Stoke(a), Wolves and Palace (a) could be described as disappointing.

That kind of consistency has been very rare in my Villa supporting life and seems a long way away right now.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #395 on: March 31, 2011, 05:08:26 PM »
@OllieHoltMirror on Twitter. That is all

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #397 on: March 31, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
The most fluid I ever saw us under Martin was when Downing first got into the team and he, Milner and Ash were interchanging beautifully.

Agreed.  Just before Christmas 2009, we played some good stuff for a few games.

Then teams worked out that all you had to do was close down our midfield in the centre and we'd basically stop scoring because we'd have so few options and would end up having to pass back to Cuellar, who'd duly thump it away.

The 30 odd games that Downing played between the beginning of December and end of April coincided with our most consistent period during MON's tenure P32 W18 D9 L5, the defeats were against Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea*2 and Man Utd. We were a very fine team.

I didn't think we lost to Man U last season?

Only in the one that mattered, at Wembley.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal