collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why are the Media so Anti-Villa?  (Read 90190 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Why are the Media so Anti-Villa?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 10:00:59 PM »
I'd say there's more laziness than animosity.

They can't be bothered to find out more, so have just fallen into the whole "sell-to-buy, O'Neill's walked out, Lerner won't spend, Young wants to leave, players hate Houllier" spiral.

When something happens that breaks that then they need an angle which fits the story they've been peddling for the last six months.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 10:03:54 PM »
I've never believed the 'world against us' paranoia, but since O'Neill left there has definitely been some very unfair criticism, a fair chunk of which has been from people who should know better - Radio WM this means you.   

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »
Fuck em , fuck em all .

Exactly, the whole club needs to adopt that seige mentality, SAF uses it as a tactic a lot.
It breeds a winning mentality

Offline myf

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 10:23:11 PM »
Ian Wright in the Sun today: "Some would argue that Villa are bigger than West Ham".  Who the fuck would argue that West Ham are bigger than Villa?!  Twat.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 10:27:41 PM »
There definitely (in my opinion) is an anti-Birmingham sentiment that permeates through English society.  Maybe "anti-Birmingham" is too strong a term; there just seems to be the general opinion that Birmingham is the most dull, mediocre and turgid place that exists in England(!).  By association, Villa simply don't get a fair press, which is disappointing given the history, success and heritage of the club.  If Villa were a London club I have no doubt at all that the media would be giving the club the full recognition it deserves. 
If QPR get promoted next year compare the press they get to the likes of Wolves, West Brom or SHA.  I'm betting they will get far more coverage - despite West Brom and Wolves being far bigger, more historic clubs.

If there's one good thing about today's transfer it is that it might just get people outside of Birmingham sitting up and taking notice.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 10:40:02 PM »
It's obvious isn't it? We stopped pandering to their idol, the blessed Martin.

They really can't get over it.  MON's the wronged party and Villa are the evil club that betrayed him.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »
The media don't view us as a big market team, they only really care about Chelsea, Arsenal, Man United, Liverpool (lol), Man City and Spurs... everyone else in the league is just viewed as another team.

I wouldn't worry too much though, no matter how good we are society and media will never change their way based upon their 'knowledge' that the Midlands is an unattractive place and they'll only take notice of us when THEY feel like they need to.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 10:53:56 PM »
The English media has always had it in for Birmingham. This may be slightly OT, but take a look at the following link (scroll down to the Don Manuel Alvarez Espriella 1807 Letters from England). It's a long, but fascinating, and sometimes hilarious, account of a visit to Birmingham in 1802. It's written as though the author had been flung into the lowest level of hell. Probably spent too much time in Small Heath.

See if you can spot the quote that was used in the previous incarnation of the Bullring, which still survives in today's abomination. And who said Brum doesn't know how to promote itself?

http://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-p/pype-hayes/

Birmingham will never, ever be loved by England. Yet, unlike scousers and mancs in particular, Brummies tend to give a whole lot more back.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 11:02:35 PM »
I'd say there's more laziness than animosity.
They can't be bothered to find out more, so have just fallen into the whole "sell-to-buy, O'Neill's walked out, Lerner won't spend, Young wants to leave, players hate Houllier" spiral.When something happens that breaks that then they need an angle which fits the story they've been peddling for the last six months.

That's my take on it. There seems to be an accepted position and they all just trot it out without stopping to think whether it's accurate. To be fair they probably do the same for all clubs but we only notice when it concerns us.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 11:06:36 PM »
Tbh I thought exactly that today. First listening to that wnkr franksy trying to put works in gary shaws mouth on wm this evening. then i get home and read some of the pro MON stuff being peddled in the express. Really gets my wick as the whole world was drooling over us with martin!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 11:06:56 PM »
When Randy arrived they got a little worried that we could  challenge the post 93 established order. Since O'Neill left they have been celebrating the death of Aston Villa with relish. To them it was unthinkable that we could rise in to the higher reaches  of English football ever again because once O'Neill  had left after "over achieving" surely we would accept mediocrity and concentrate on survival. Clearly this signing has  the effect of giving them a  big smack in the face. It is a rude awakening and they don't like it.

I was watching Sky news this moring and the woman  doing the sports news mentioned "in what seems like a desperate act Villa are after Bent" twice within the space of 3 spoken lines.

Oliver Holt talking complete arse talk on  ESPN and the Telegraph had an absolute shameful go this morning.

They don't like it that we can pull off big events like this. Well fuck them!

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 11:07:55 PM »
I've noticed even the generally bland Five Live have been rather dismissive and incredulous that we could be spending so much; and even wondering what Martin O'Neill would think; without discussing the fact that he spent as much on defenders as we have on Bent.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 11:11:35 PM »
...without discussing the fact that he spent as much on defenders as we have on Bent.

I think twice as much, replacing the shit defenders he originally bought with average ones.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 11:19:04 PM »
I think I heard "I don't think Martin O'Neill would have got all that money to spend" atleast 6 times today. I wanted to strangle the radio.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 11:19:04 PM »
When Randy arrived they got a little worried that we could  challenge the post 93 established order. Since O'Neill left they have been celebrating the death of Aston Villa with relish.

That's the one thing they don't care about. They have to have a Big 4/5/6 and they don't care who's in it. If we get into the Champions League we'll be part of their elite and they'll drop Spurs or whoever's place we take without a thought.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal