collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The wage bill (again)  (Read 6027 times)

Offline Rancid custard

The wage bill (again)
« on: January 18, 2011, 07:32:18 PM »
I feel this merits it's own thread despite it being linked with the transfer window and so...

Our wage bill is up again, forgive me if I'm wrong because we never got one clear definitive statement at the time, but MON walked out because he was told to reduce the wage bill and trim the fat and that he wouldn't be spending the Milner money.

We've just signed 2 players for a reported 5 million and possible 24 million respectively, and brought in a loan, meanwhile we've loaned out Sidwell (is Curtis still on loan?) Throw some wages on top of that and it's looking even more out of control. I hate comparing us to other clubs, but surely this is ludicrous business practice unless they all know something we don't.

I want my club around forever, as (gulp) a sustainable business, I don't want to see us go the way of Leeds etc..

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
Re: The wage bill (again)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 07:36:53 PM »
Perhaps just for once we're buying players before letting others go rather than the other way round.

Also - Bouma, Shorey, Harewood, Sidwell, Davies plus probably Carew, Reo-Coker, Warnock is more than enough off the wage bill to cover Makoun, Bent and Walker.

I can't see any need to worry today, just hugely excited and can't wait for the next game!

Offline pav

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 07:37:06 PM »
I TRUST OUR OWNER , more so than I would trust Mon , let's just be positive and look forward , UTV

Offline johncvilla88

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 07:41:58 PM »
Bent's wage will be offset against Carews wage as I except him to have left by friday

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 07:42:03 PM »
Houllier has basically just said we haven't compromised our wage structure! No issue

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 07:47:04 PM »
Sidwell 40k a week. Gone. Carew, 60k a week, almost certainly going.

If we're going to spend a lot of money on wages, I'd rather have Darren Bent at 60 or 70k than those two.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »
Houllier said in his opening gambit quite clearly that the wage overall is important and this signing will be kept in line with a wage structure for the club. I took that there is going to players leaving too and this is all part of re shaping the squad to be younger, hungrier and overall on less cash.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 07:48:32 PM »
3,000 on the gate will pay most of his wages.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 07:49:32 PM »
True enough.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
I feel this merits it's own thread despite it being linked with the transfer window and so...

Our wage bill is up again, forgive me if I'm wrong because we never got one clear definitive statement at the time, but MON walked out because he was told to reduce the wage bill and trim the fat and that he wouldn't be spending the Milner money.

I forgive you.

Online Holy Trinity

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 07:52:15 PM »
sidwells not on loan hes gone for good, 50k pw saved, gardener id imagine was on 12k pw milner was on 60k iirc, i cant see the 3 in costing mush more a week than we have saved, oh and i dont know what bouma and guzan were on

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 07:53:46 PM »
3,000 on the gate will pay most of his wages.

Only for the weeks where we have a home game.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 07:53:57 PM »
Look at all the deadweight we are shipping out.

Harewood + Sidwell = Bent
Shorey + Bouma = Makoun

Who next Beye, Carew, Warnock? Best part of £100k there.

Chuck in Davies, Salifou and you can see the savings....

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 07:56:20 PM »
When we get rid of Carew, Beye, Davies and a few others then we will be ok.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 07:56:47 PM »

We've just signed 2 players for a reported 5 million and possible 24 million respectively, and brought in a loan, meanwhile we've loaned out Sidwell (is Curtis still on loan?) Throw some wages on top of that and it's looking even more out of control. I hate comparing us to other clubs, but surely this is ludicrous business practice unless they all know something we don't.

I want my club around forever, as (gulp) a sustainable business, I don't want to see us go the way of Leeds etc..

See your point, and it is concerning. Leeds was a totally different story, they were owing money to different trusts etc, left right and centre, which ultimately forced them into administration. At least Villa only have one creditor, Randy Learner. With regards to the wage bill, I forecast a mass clear out in the summer of all the crap that MON left behind. I'm sure Houllier has a remit to develop some of the yout talent at Villa someting MON didn't seem prepared to, favouring purchasing expensive journeymen players, that he wouldn't play.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal