collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Darren Bent: Mackem viewpoint  (Read 13791 times)

Offline flan

Darren Bent: Mackem viewpoint
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:06:14 PM »
Hi again folks, bit gutted benty has handed in a transfer request, strange when he has said so often how he had found hi home on wearside. And a bit odd that bids came in so soon after his request, but fair play to houllier, if you get him you are more or less guaranteed goals.
I know some reports have the figure at £24m, which may seem high but it's the price to pay for a 20 goal a season striker in his prime. He is fairly one dimensional and is a pacey frontman with a knack of being in the right place at the right time, and Agbonlahor may learn a lot from him, but don't expect him to beat player after player with skill, thats not what Bent is about.

If he does sign for you then I'm sure he has his reasons no matter how obscure, and good luck to him as I'd rather you lot got him than the likes of Newcastle/Liverpool etc.

PS. any chance of throwing Downing in as part of the deal?  ;)

Offline sfx412

Re: Darren Bent: Mackem viewpoint
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:09:04 PM »
We have plenty that beat players time and again, and few who score goals, so yes please even at 18 mill.

If you want Downing you'll have to pay us Liverpool are looking to part with big cash to get him and/or Young say the media. But then they would.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:10:26 PM »
Gutted!  Shaaaaaame! Ha ha ha, and lots of other grown up responses.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:12:34 PM »
Cheers, flan!

Wasn't there some issue wit his mother getting abuse at a game?  Someone of Talksport (yes, I know) mentioned it yesterday and thinks it might be part of his motivation for going.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:13:10 PM »
Do have a bit of sympathy for you, we had it with Barry and Milner and may have it again with Ashley.

TBH, Gyan looks a player and if fist-face is given a fair chunk of the money I'm sure he can buy someone better equipped to play with him.

But I can't lie, I'm absolutely delighted by the news. The kid seems to be the sort who really gets on with the fans and I'm glad we've got a hero again.

Offline flan

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:14:14 PM »
Gutted!  Shaaaaaame! Ha ha ha, and lots of other grown up responses.

Haha, always expect a few of those. Though players come and go but your club is always the reason we follow, not the players.

And yes there was some racist incident though that was sorted by all accounts.

Offline Lowendbehold

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 12:15:19 PM »
I don't think the reason he wants to move is obscure, its just more money and the shopping is better, or at least closer to London I suspect

Offline magic monks

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 12:16:19 PM »
Ha'way indeed, that's the going rate for goals, I'm sure the Mackems will be ok with Gyan, Wellbeck and £18m worth of options in the summer market. 

Offline peter w

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:20:24 PM »
It wouldn't be the money. The speed of the transfer suggests there's something else behind it. He was apparently persuaded by Bruce to stay in the summer so I can't see him suddenly deciding on Sunday that he desperately needs that extra 20 grand a week, or whatever, straight away.

Offline flan

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 12:21:03 PM »
Ha'way indeed, that's the going rate for goals, I'm sure the Mackems will be ok with Gyan, Wellbeck and £18m worth of options in the summer market. 

Really hope we can sign Welbeck as he looks the real deal so far. And i do believe Gyan will get 15 goals a season once settled. But bruce needs to also get some midfielders who will share to goal responsibilty to offset the loss of Bent.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 12:56:14 PM »
You can have Salifou if you want.

Offline Lowendbehold

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 12:59:13 PM »
It wouldn't be the money. The speed of the transfer suggests there's something else behind it. He was apparently persuaded by Bruce to stay in the summer so I can't see him suddenly deciding on Sunday that he desperately needs that extra 20 grand a week, or whatever, straight away.

Perhaps he persuaded him with a wad?  Sorry if I sound cynical about footballers and money.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 01:05:27 PM »
Know a lot of sunderland fans didn't really take to him because he's not really your 100% effort all action player. He's more a lazy goal hanger who only works when there's a goal in it for him. Just what we need

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 01:09:32 PM »
Would it be fair to compare his style of play with that of Gary Lineker?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 01:14:08 PM »
well sort off. he's yer typical poacher, be shit for 88 minutes and score two, lazy goal hanging bastard type player

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal