collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby  (Read 9971 times)

Offline peter w

Gabby
« on: January 17, 2011, 03:58:15 PM »
Anyone else get the feeling that Houllier doesn't fancy Gabby. Whenever he plays him now he sticks him out wide. Even though we have had a dearth of goals our main weapon is out on the wing. we need goals so why stick him there game after game? I can only guess that Houllier doesn't rate him as a forward.

Offline SO Villa

Re: Gabby
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:07:53 PM »
He gave him a new contract a couple of months ago.

Offline supertom

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 04:09:02 PM »
A little bit. I also think it's one of those cases when Gabby had the perfect manager for him in MON. Martin seemed to get a bit extra out of Gabby, like he can with a lot of limited players, that Gerard hasn't been able to. Technically I don't think Gabby is quite good enough to play up top on his own in Gerards system.

Okay, so is Bent much better technically? Not really, but the compensation is that he'll get more goals.

However I can see the two working well together. Gabby, if he can hit form can work hard up front in the channels and do some donkey work for Bent.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 04:10:55 PM »
I would like to see him up front and not on the wing i hope he returns there in the not too distance future.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »
It would be insanity to lose Gabby.

He still has lots to offer.

A front 4 of Bent, Heskey, Gabby and Nathan has given me a semi.

The above 4 is in preference of order I would play them.

Offline peter w

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »
I think for all his criticism it is wothy of noting tha Houllier has got Heskey playing.

Offline thebigragu

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 04:19:19 PM »

A front 4 of Bent, Heskey, Gabby and Nathan has given me a semi.

The above 4 is in preference of order I would play them.

BENT, nathan, gabby, then just a bloke out of the stands

thats the order i would play them.  gabby and heskey have proven that they don't score regularly and can't shoot straight.  nathan deserves a chance.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 04:24:55 PM »
thats the order i would play them.  gabby and heskey have proven that they don't score regularly and can't shoot straight.  nathan deserves a chance.
Heskey deserves more time, I took the piss out of him endlessly, but since Houllier has come in, his link up play has been fantastic and he's scored goals as well.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 04:28:37 PM »
I hope it doesn't,hopefully it'll benefit Gab who has the ability to pull out wide to use his pace,whereas Bent is the fox in the box type we havent had since Dublin.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 04:36:08 PM »
I dont see it with Nathan.  He hasnt got the link up play, he seems deceptively slow, his decision making can be questionable too.  So for me, that puts him well behind Heskey and Ag.  And about 40 miles ahead of Carew.

Offline mal

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 05:18:51 PM »
I want to see us return to 4-5-1 with Gabby up front Ash on the left Albrighton on the right Petrov holding with Bannan or Clark and Delfouneso in the hole. I see lots of goals....

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 05:21:01 PM »
Gabby's just not good enough, and is extremley limited in what he offers.

he has to be played in exactly the right position, with exactly the right players around him with the right sort of service in the a game where we are on top,
in other words when all the planets are in line he does ok,

otherwise he just doesnt do it,
what is it 13 games no goals, look at the first chance in the derby game on sunday, he did great creating the oppening, just to blast it miles over the bar,
 he's just not a natural finisher, no matter how many excuses you make for him he will only be good for his usual 10-12 league goals a season, and only then with a prevailing wind,

admitedly he's the best we got at the moment, but what we need is someone who actually knows how to score, hopefuuly that is Bent

are strikers at the moment are next to useless, and at least we look like rectifying the problem

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 05:21:54 PM »
this signing will be brilliant for Gabby's career.

Offline avfc_1874

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 06:57:31 PM »

he has to be played in exactly the right position, with exactly the right players around him with the right sort of service in the a game where we are on top,

what is it 13 games no goals, look at the first chance in the derby game on sunday, he did great creating the oppening, just to blast it miles over the bar,
 he's just not a natural finisher, no matter how many excuses you make for him he will only be good for his usual 10-12 league goals a season, and only then with a prevailing wind,

admitedly he's the best we got at the moment, but what we need is someone who actually knows how to score, hopefuuly that is Bent

are strikers at the moment are next to useless, and at least we look like rectifying the problem

Can't really disagree with any of that.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 07:00:43 PM »

Can't really disagree with any of that.

Funny, I can disagree with every single bit of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal