collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Addiction! is it just me?  (Read 6702 times)

Offline Holy Trinity

Addiction! is it just me?
« on: January 17, 2011, 11:17:03 AM »
Right deadly serious here in 1990 when i was 6 for no good reason i started to follow the villa, i lived in rowley regis, my family NEVER watched sport or followed football in anyway shape or form.
The first game i ever saw on tv was agains tranmere rovers in 94 the second was against inter milan in the september. we didnt have sky or the internet and i only got my own tv that august lol.
Football was far to dangerous to go to on my own my mum used to say and nobody else liked it, so i had to wait till i was 14 to go to villa park we beat wba 4-0 in the fa cup where collymore scored that peach from a really tight angle,and my man united supporting new step dad took me and we sat in the holte end lower, it was the best day of my life. The next thing i knew football was taking over my life! i was going up vp at every opertunity posters out of my many claret and blues were making there way on to my walls, i played fifa and sensible soccer and championship manager  non stop only ever as villa tho. as i grew older i started to live in my villa cloths i must have a good 20 tops in my wardrobe and at least half dont fit me but god forbid i throw them away. i switched to pro evo and football manager but the AVFConly rule still applies to this day. i find myself studying football i make a point of trying to know anything i can about players transfers youth prospects and managers, its turned from an association to an obsession and for the last 7 years i would say its a 100% flat out addiction! i watch ssn until they start making me want to vomit, im on here god knows how many times a day, if im not at my laptop or ps3 im on here on my blackberry. i scour the web all day looking for more and more aston villa related gossip. in 2008 mareka( the dutch girl who used to or still does) run the programme distributors gave me my dream job even tho i would have earned only afew quid a game i was going to be helping the people and club i love oh so much. However it was not to be as i got ran over the day of the portsmouth game and was in hospital a week and was to embarrassed to ring her back and tell her what had happened incase my job had gone so i just left it as it was. me and my partner plan to get married at VP and have had all the day planners and price lists worked out for two years now but we cant afford it yet by a long shot.

So am i the only person who feels addicted to Aston Villa or are there more out there just like me? 

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Addiction! is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 11:33:52 AM »
"So am i the only person who feels addicted to Aston Villa"
Are you joking been going to the villa for 36 years now. first thing i to is look at the text for Villa updates. and H&V is my home page. Villa till i die

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 11:37:16 AM »
Villa is a way of life!

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 11:38:47 AM »
thank god im in the right place lol

Offline Mark H

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 11:41:11 AM »
My name is Mark and I am a Villa addict ..... I tell any women I share my life with that the best they can shoot for is 3rd place in my life - 1st is my kids 2nd Aston Villa !! - They love that line makes them feel all special !!!

Offline peter w

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:48:14 AM »
Addicted? You'er talking to a lot of people who have nothing better to do with their lives than visit a website to talk about the club. A life? God no. Villa? Well, yes, its why we're here.

Offline supertom

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 11:56:04 AM »
I've tried to shake the addiction, because as we all know, at times it's been a friggin pain, but I just can't. I've also tried being a turn coating bastard, but that never worked at all, barely for minutes. Right now I'm at a stage that if I did end up jacking in The Villa, then I'd give up on football alltogether. It really doesn't interest or excite me much any more outside of the Villa. The Prem has no character, nor style or class anymore. You can't really sit and watch as many mercurial characters as you could in the past, like Daveed, Dennis, Gianfranco, Sasa (tee-hee), Eric, Thierry, Le Tiss. Money has ruined the game, while the will to win that goes with it has sacrified style for athletisicm in many cases. Even say the shit teams. Back tin the day in the Prem, even a shit team like Southampton carried the flair and genius of Le Tissier. Lazy fucker, but on his day, exceptional. The lower end teams now, because of how much it can hit you in relegation, and how easy it is now for clubs to just disappear, would rather have 10 grafters on the pitch, and grind out wins ugly, rather than carrying a flair player. The likes of a Kindladze, Di Canio, etc in lower-mid table teams are all the more rare IMO. They could make games worth watching. Boro's side when they had Juninho, Ravenelli and Emerson for example. Cracking to watch and they got relegated. You wouldn't get that now.

But yeah, Villa is stuck inside me. I can't shake it off, no matter how uninspiring it's often been. Sadly we're on one of those low ebbs, after a pretty decent few years in nose bleed territory of consistent top 6. there's still a hope in me that we'll win the league and CL again in my life time. One can dream! That's what keeps me going.

Offline jembob

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »
HT. 43 years and counting! Some of us older ones will have got hooked on Villa when we were languishing in the third division and it's always been a great club to support.

Offline richard moore

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 12:01:28 PM »
Ask my wife and daughters if you are the only person addicted to Aston Villa!!!!!!!!???

It's a silly little thing really, but one of the things I love about my addiction is so many people define me by relating me to the Villa. At Christmas, when one gets the inevitable cards from people you haven't heard from for ages, who live miles and miles away from you, and who had meaning in a completely different phase of your life, they will nearly always say 'How is Richard and the Villa?', or 'See the Villa are doing well/badly' or some such other comments. Most of the comments come from people who don't know one end of a football ground from another. No one ever forgets, or is allowed to forget, who I follow and that, bizarrely, always makes me proud!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:04:40 PM by richard moore »

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 12:06:58 PM »
You'er talking to a lot of people who have nothing better to do with their lives than visit a website to talk about the club.

Well, ya know, I like to think that if fanzines and football websites had been around in Einstein's day he'd have gone on to discuss who he thought his club should get in.  When he was taking a break from doing clever maths and that.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 12:53:56 PM »
I've been a Villa addict for 30 years now.  Every year, around May 15th or so,  I am forced into involuntary rehab.  This lasts until around July 25th when we play our first serious friendly games and then hits me full throttle again around the 15th of August.  For me and many other addicts pre-season is basically like going cold turkey.  It's the worst time of the year where life just feels empty.  So no HT, you are definitely not alone.   ;)

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 01:02:36 PM »
Ten years ago I would have said yes, but I'm not sure anymore. I wonder whether it is football in general, what's happened to us in the last year, or my age, but I'm just not feeling it a the moment. I don't care as much as I did. I still want us to win and I get frustrated when I watching us mis-place passes, but the passion has dimmed.

Part of me thinks it would be entertaining if we did get relegated and we could have a whole load of new experiences in the next twelve months. Ok the club would suffer, there would no doubt be a few job losses there, but would it affect my day to day existence? The players clearly couldn't care less and still get paid their fortunes, so they wouldn't be bothered in the least either...

Perhaps I've just got a January depression head on, but I wonder if many people feel the same.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 01:34:39 PM »
I've tried to shake the addiction, because as we all know, at times it's been a friggin pain,

It's never that and will never be regardless of where we end up.

Offline orkneyvilla

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 01:44:29 PM »
Addicted? You'er talking to a lot of people who have nothing better to do with their lives than visit a website to talk about the club

Is there something better ?

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 01:51:29 PM »
I'm thinking of following Wolves next season. Or maybe Stoke, depends who can offer me the best package

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal