collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The day OUR derby died  (Read 18116 times)

Offline dl9

• It all began vs Eintracht Frankfurt......
Re: The day OUR derby died
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2011, 12:35:09 AM »
Don't know about anyone else but if Carew and Gabby were as agile as that streaker who came on in the latter stages of the match we'd have solved our problems up front.
Even in the warm up Big John never hit the net when all the rest of the players were slotting shots in......even a right footer from Dunne!
As for the match itself, it was shite! The importance of our derby is outlined by being the last match on MOTD this evening. We're down there with the likes of Portsmouth vs Southampton and Wolves vs West Brom - pains me to say it but it's true.
To end on a high, a blue nose threw a coin at me today and I caught it so came out 20p better off. Generous bunch aren't they.........

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2011, 06:41:28 AM »
Thing is the feel of the derby. When we are doing well then we have almost the same view of the derby as we do when we play Coventry. Obviously its bigger than Coventry but the game means different things to the two sets of fans. Living and working side-by-side is the only thing that still makes it as a derby to want to win. Its not even bragging rights.

We know that it is a big game for them. They hate our arrogance and our belittling attitude towards them. Whether its deserved or not, that is the historical attitude we have had when considering our rivals is what sets the derby up for what it is for them. On top of that our histories set us apart. Yes, its a long time since we won most of our trophies but they have been won. So, we see ourselves as above them on a footballing level because of that and because of the fact that we are used to finishing above them.

Another fact is that they only ever finish above us if we have a bad season. To us mid-table is a poor season.

So, what is the derby for us? Because of what it means to them we don't want them to win it more than I think we care about beating them. This is the Coventry comparison. We know that for both sets of fans all they want is to beat us, which is why we want to avoid defeat more than winning at times. Simply to stop them having their fun at our expense. Yes, on a footalling level you always want to win, and yes, having them harping on in your ear at work, out and about etc makes you want to beat them, but when we are doing well, and they are not we hardly give a toss about them. Yeah, go down because its funny, but not as important as us doing well.

That's why the derby isn't and can't be about equals.

Your absolutley correct.  They've elevated this match to their Cup Final so it's lovely when we prevent them from winning it. 

I don't want to make too many excuses as 22k is a really poor showing for their biggest game of the season but here goes.

I know if it were me and I still living in Bham, no way would I want to go, especially with kids, which is surely not what it's all about - it wouldn't surprise me if the trouble home and away in these matches over the last few years made fair minded family fans turn their backs on the match.  It really isn't worth running the gauntlet of violence, especially with children.  Sad but probably true. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:53:28 AM by OzVilla »

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2011, 08:26:13 AM »
I agree with most of the above, apart from that chap from Sheldon. Why's he still on here ?. I used to go to the derby at the sty but now I season ticket with my under 10 lads I wouldn't dream of goin with them. If you look at the pictures of Collins and Bannan celebrating there are just lads in the background going barmy (fair play).
I would like to question why our police can't control this game so I feel safe to take my kids. Or at least police it so those with kids can watch the fighting from a distance !

Its all so second class second city again. The Glasgow derby happens at least 4 times a season with unrestricted away support support. The hatred at the Newcastle/Sunderland derby is at a level at least at ours yet Newcastle fans attended in numbers. 8000 Liverpool fans went to the game at manure last week, I bet they'd be given the same again.

Offline Fuse

• GM : 28.08.2015
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »
Firstly no matter how much they bleat, Blues just have shit support, it is as simple as that so no great shocks that they can only muster 20k for their cup final.

As for the Police etc. Firstly they are obviously nowhere near as good as their counterparts in Glasgow, Tyne & Wear etc as already pointed out they manage to keep things under control with far greater numbers attending.

However the crux of it is this, why is it that when the fixture is reversed and you get twice as many fans attending, that ther eis nowehere near the problems you see at the Sty. In fact we had a 3pm derby on a Sat against WBA and nothing.

The fact is that Small Heath have a completely different breed of supporter whio have been brought up on the fact that being a hoolie is somethign to be proud of. Even my mates who are decent folk, when it comes to us turn into neanderthals and have actually bragged about their hooligan support as if it were a trophy. The Police have never come down on that club and its support in the way they should do. It is not only us but almost evey home game that running battles take place around Digbeth yet they same people are allowed to turn up every week and cause trouble. Our Police are a joke.

Best thing for everyone is that they piss off back down into the lower leagues and with crowds of 8000 the Police might be able to look after the away supporters.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2011, 10:56:20 AM »
thier idiot fans have been getting away with it for years, its a badge of honour for them causing trouble at a game involving us. They as a club seem to except it as well because much of thier hardcore support is made up of nutters. The festering hatred of us is all they have to live for. I do have sympathy with thier decent fans like the ones that came on here and said they were embaressed at the LC QF. My Dad used to go to St Andrews when Villa were away, he allways loved the Villa but he and his mates could go thier and not worry about being Villa. Its gone to far now but having only 20 odd thousand at a derby hurts them more than us.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2011, 11:01:26 AM »
Our hooligans and their hooligans misbehaved before, during and after the cup game. The police had no option but to mount a high profile operation to prevent it happening again. All those whinging about it would be the first to moan if they hadn't been there and they'd been given a good twatting.

We also have to get away from the ridiculous idea that the rivalry is somehow one sided. You only have to think of the range of songs we sing about them (and always have done) to dispel that particular myth

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2011, 11:39:12 AM »
The low attendance yesterday, and the lack of trouble, does actually lower the temperature now.

Closing the upper (Olympic) tier above us was a smart move.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »
I agree with most of the above, apart from that chap from Sheldon. Why's he still on here ?

Because this match was with his club so his input is relevant?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2011, 12:30:46 PM »
there is definitely another reason for the low turnout yesterday, apart from just saying 'shit support' there lowest gate this season is just over 21k, there average gate is 25k,

so a big relegation battle against there biggest rivals,
 bearing in mind all the posts on here as to how much they are all  bothered about is beating us, and how they are obsesed by us,
they only managed to just beat there lowest gate this season, and was considerably lower than there average attendance

it doesnt make sense,
i think there was probably a lot of factors involved, but i still maintain the biggest is  the prospect of a load of twats looking for trouble on the way home and into town,
it just puts a lot of decent supporters of going

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal