collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: James Milner  (Read 15770 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: James Milner
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 12:03:08 AM »
I was watching the Man City highlights tonight, and seeing Milner found myself wondering how winning the title having played the tiniest of bit parts would feel as opposed to going somewhere else, where they might pay a bit less, and winning it as an integral part of the team.

Then I found myself remembering that James Milner ceased to exist the day he went, so bollocks to him. His choice to go, and maybe he made the sensible choice - he almost certainly did - but fuck him all the same.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 12:04:02 AM »
Let the greedy fucker rot
Did he ever want to leave? I sure as shit don't remember him saying so.

Surely he wouldn't have gone if he didn't want to go!
I don't know. All I do know is that with 99% of high profile players moving there are rumblings. With Milner there were none.

Does that not seem odd to you?

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2011, 12:08:31 AM »
He is dead to me, as Tony Soprano would say.

If he were still alive

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2011, 12:17:21 AM »
He is dead to me, as Tony Soprano would say.

Floating in the sea like that fucking rat Pussy Bonpensiero.

Actually, I've changed my mind. Like Vito Spatafore in the river with a baseball bat wedged up his harris.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2011, 12:18:40 AM »
We may like him back but not so sure Houllier would, he is a fantastic proffesional and the hardest worker a club could want but top class he isn't. Always thought he would be found out on a skill level at City, what is the saying about a little fish in a big pond well James is just a tiddler.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 12:20:50 AM »
i'd probably buy him back if i thought we had the 14m  or so that he'd cost. i know its wrong and bringing players back a 2nd time is generally a no-no but what the hell

Offline villa for life

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 12:31:35 AM »
On the BBC website, the figures are that Milner has played in 26 games for Man City, 7 of which has been as a sub.

So it looks like he is playing more than just a "bit part" or warming the bench. He's a great player, who's playing a big part in the team that are currently top of the league. He's also getting paid a lot of money. What's wrong with that??

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 12:34:25 AM »
On the BBC website, the figures are that Milner has played in 26 games for Man City, 7 of which has been as a sub.

So it looks like he is playing more than just a "bit part" or warming the bench. He's a great player, who's playing a big part in the team that are currently top of the league. He's also getting paid a lot of money. What's wrong with that??

He's started 15 of their 23 league matches. He's no Steve Sidwell, you're right there, but for a player who cost 26 million pounds, he's got to feel a bit miffed that he's started only a little over half their league games.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2011, 12:48:26 AM »
Let the greedy fucker rot
Did he ever want to leave? I sure as shit don't remember him saying so.

Surely he wouldn't have gone if he didn't want to go!
I don't know. All I do know is that with 99% of high profile players moving there are rumblings. With Milner there were none.

Does that not seem odd to you?

To be fair to Milner he always came across as quite level-headed and not the type to bleat to the press about needing to leave like Barry did before him.

But even though he never said anything publicly about wanting to go, O'Neill did:

I had a conversation with James before the World Cup and he intimated that he’d like to go.”

“City made an offer but it did not meet our valuation. I’m sure matters will be resolved soon. James is back next week having had an extended holiday.

“There is a difference of valuation at this moment between the buying club and the selling club.

“That may well be resolved and if that is the case then absolutely fine.

“I think James’ agent has told our chief executive that he wouldn’t be signing a new contract.

“Obviously that puts a different slant on things, like everything else.

“If a fee is agreed, at the end of the day, the player can leave.”

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2011, 12:53:52 AM »

He started the season in the starting line up, but when Silva found his feet Milner has been benched, such a waste, but I'm sure Makoun is better than Milner.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 12:53:58 AM »
er......15 out of 23....is a little more than half, I think it's more like 65.2%.

Anyway, why discount the games he has come on as sub, and why only count league games?

And so next year when they are in the Champions League, are we going to discount those games to make ourselves feel better?

It' just "hysteria" to say that he is a  "money grabbing bastard" and a "bit part" player "warming the bench"

Offline villa for life

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 12:55:37 AM »
Shrek...Were you also one of the posters who thought Ireland was better than Milner when the deal went through?? I can still remember posters saying , how not only did we get a shed load of cash, we also got a better player!!

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 12:57:41 AM »
er......15 out of 23....is a little more than half, I think it's more like 65.2%.

Anyway, why discount the games he has come on as sub, and why only count league games?

And so next year when they are in the Champions League, are we going to discount those games to make ourselves feel better?

It' just "hysteria" to say that he is a  "money grabbing bastard" and a "bit part" player "warming the bench"

I didn't say he was a money grabbing bastard, I said I understood why he did it.

I also referred in my post specifically to the feeling of winning the league after having been a bit part player, that is why i used the stats for his league starts.

I'd also struggle to see the argument in suggesting that 62 percent is a little over half.

It's also nothing about us feeling bitter, or about Ireland being considered the better player, but hey ho, carry on if you like.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2011, 01:04:56 AM »
Yes it is a waste and I would have him back in a second but we have to move on and concentrate on where we are right now and beat that lot from small heath without him, utv.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2011, 01:10:40 AM »
Bottom line is he has played enough to get a winners medal. Great. Would love him back on loan till May to help us out of this mess.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal