collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa bottom of league by tonight?  (Read 21395 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Villa bottom of league by tonight?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, 01:07:49 PM »
Agree with Percy and Ruud van Fletcher.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, 01:21:05 PM »
You auditioning for the part of Senna in the Up Pompeii remake Percy?

Don't know the reference, sorry, but I think I get you. I'm not optimistic at the moment. Funny though that some of the posters who have been moaning for the last four years seem happier now.
I'm having serious reservations (Reeves and Mortimer 'The club') about Houllier.
But now Makoun is signed there is no turning back, if we lose every game he'll be staying.

We've needed a CM for a while though.

The board/ RL will have known that and will have factored that in. I'd still say if we're looking in trouble going into Feb they'll move him on. If we lose badly tomorrow I wouldn't rule it out either.

My hope is that we can limp through the rest of the season and stay up. Not  enamoured with GH at all, but at least we'll be seen to have given him every opportunity to make an impression. If all he can do is keep this set of players up he'll have made an impression alright, and hopefully a few of those wavering at the moment will be happy to see him moved on in the summer too.  Rather than face the prospect of another season like this one.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 02:40:03 PM »
Unless it goes massively pear shaped I don't see the board firing GH at all. I think right now, the board would take getting to the end of the season in one piece and starting fresh in the summer. I think the players he'll bring in this January will make a massive difference to how he wants us to play and the overall attitude at the club. Even winning over the likes of Dunne is a big step forward. We should have won against Sunderland and but for some bad misses, a sending off, and a crazy goal from a player that has never scored before we would have. Yes, a lot of if's and but's in there, but the difference that evening was marginal. Tomorrow is massive, and everyone knows it, but so is getting players in by Jan 31st to help with the rest of the season.

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »
I am a lot more confident about things now. The problem so far has been GH getting all the players onboard, I think the Sunderland game could be a massive turning point, the fans calling for GH to be sacked and the board responding by standing behind him. For any players thinking they could ride it out until the manager was sacked it was time to think again.

Also with players that GH has signed and hopefully about to sign it dilutes the MON hangover amongst the squad and should make players who want to stay pull their fingers out and those that want to go will be shipped out ala Warnock.

I think we will be well clear at the business end and when we regroup in the summer we can look forward to a proper fresh start.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2011, 03:03:22 PM »
I hope the Sunderland game was a turning point.
We all thought the Chelsea game would be.

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 03:05:43 PM »

I think it would have been if Emile hadn't got sent off.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 03:07:08 PM »

I think it would have been if Emile hadn't got sent off.
Steam shot out of my ears when he stupidly got sent off, but I suppose there is credit in the bank there as he's played so well since Houllier has been here.

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2011, 03:10:01 PM »
It was so frustrating as he was playing really well. I think GH would have bought BB & MA on a lot earlier if we still had 11 men and we'd have won the match, been 14th and things would have looked a lot rosier.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2011, 03:27:38 PM »
You auditioning for the part of Senna in the Up Pompeii remake Percy?

Don't know the reference, sorry, but I think I get you. I'm not optimistic at the moment. Funny though that some of the posters who have been moaning for the last four years seem happier now.

I'm in the grit-your-teeth, shut-your eyes, hope-it-all-goes-away camp, clinging to the odd shred of comfort - the three good goals against (admittedly weak) Sheffield, the signing of a midfielder (of whom I know precious little, especially in a Premier League context) - but convinced that replacing him now would be a poor move.

It will get worse before it gets better I think, and more bitter and divisive words will be written here. Win or lose, it'll be used as a stick to beat O'Neill and on the other side I got the impression one or two here were unreasonably subdued after the Chelsea game because a loss would have suited their case for getting rid of Houllier. Whatever the rights or wrongs of the bloke, none of us should be willing lost points on Villa.

I just want this season to be over so we can attempt to write off the past and get on with moaning about something else.

Offline Michel Sibble

• Wiibble.
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »
BBC has it at the mo:

Wolves 22
_________
Wigan  22
Villa    21
Spam   20

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2011, 03:47:54 PM »
Nearly there.Second from bottom as it stands :(

Online beness

• GM : 21.01.2018
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2011, 03:56:39 PM »
Last time I shagged a Spanish bird in a German hotel room Villa were relegated.

You'll be pleased to know that this is not a likely occurrence this year.

Ah!!. WE  have a problem, You see, earlier this year I met this Spanish bird in Germany.
 Anyway one thing led to another and I did not want to Give my own name so I said my name was Dave Cooper.....

Offline andyaston

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2011, 04:01:30 PM »
To be honest we were never going to win that Sunderland match even if heskey had not of got sent off. It would of ended 0-0 at best because as average as we were in the first half in the second we were woeful.

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2011, 04:03:19 PM »
I think Bannan & Albrighton would have come on a lot earlier if he hadn't been sent off and I think they would have made us a lot better.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2011, 04:04:35 PM »
BBC has it at the mo:

Wolves 22
_________
Wigan  22
Villa    21
Spam   20

Come on lads, I'm pissed off too but let's not go mad. It's only half-time. Back in the bad old days it's the type of thing greg would post to prove that we might finish as low as seventh.

EDIT: Anyway, Tevez has just scored. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 04:06:49 PM by Percy »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal