collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:15:07 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by aj2k77
[Today at 02:00:12 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Pete3206
[Today at 01:38:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The difference between o neill and houllier  (Read 31409 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Re: The difference between o neill and houllier
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 04:02:24 PM »
MIRROR - 'The squad were often given at least two days off a week and training was laid-back under John Robertson and Steve Walford, with five-a-side games taking up the majority of the time.'

I hate to stick up for MON (retch) but if the training was that lax, how did we end up 6th for 3 seasons in a row?
I'll admit we were not the fittest and used to fade on frequent occasions, but if there was no supposed analysis of other teams, how did we break them down and beat them?
How did we nulify and beat Manure at their place?
How did we beat Chelski twice?
How did the defence look so much more organised?

I agree on the fitness side of things, but surely this 'no tactical training' thing can't be right?

Online Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »
I agree on the fitness side of things, but surely this 'no tactical training' thing can't be right?

Maybe he did no "technical" training?

Offline eastie

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 04:09:11 PM »
Could say that if there was tactical analysis how did we lose 7-1 at Chelsea but I take your point rvf.

Mon has never reportedly been a training ground manager and was often not at training similar to cloughie - also he seems to man who prefers to big up his players than worry too much about the opposition and there is no doubt he could get the best out of certain players ,he was without doubt a good motivator .
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:13:27 PM by east19 »

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 04:11:07 PM »
Could say that if there was tactical analysis how did we lose 7-1 at Chelsea but I take your point rvf.
When Gerard took us to Anield, if Liverpool had a bit more nous, and also Gerrard and Torres fit, I reckon they'd have hammered us about 7-0.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:23:21 PM by Rip van Fletcher »

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »
Its bollocks isn't it, training is a means to get them fit and prepared for matches, you don't get any points for running round cones in a different direction than you used to. We've gone from top six to third from bottom and the players don't look any fitter to me.

Start putting points on the board and I'll be willing to praise the training routines, until then they are not working.

Offline eastie

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 04:19:13 PM »
Of course both mon and gerard have their good points and bad points , it's getting that right mixture that is the key between getting players to produce good quality football and get results at the same time- there are very few managers who can achieve both- a mix of houlliers tactical knowledge and style of pass and move combined with mons motivational qualities would be ideal but who knows what the rest of the season holds for us.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 04:27:48 PM »
Of course both mon and gerard have their good points and bad points , it's getting that right mixture that is the key between getting players to produce good quality football and get results at the same time- there are very few managers who can achieve both- a mix of houlliers tactical knowledge and style of pass and move combined with mons motivational qualities would be ideal but who knows what the rest of the season holds for us.

So let Gezza take training during the week and get Martin back to give them a rollicking before each game? 

Works for me!

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 04:48:56 PM »
Isn't it about time that these spoilt, over-paid prima-donnas took their responsibilities more seriously and tried to put in performances that justified their enormous salaries (they are starting to sound just like bankers). If the owner and his manager are insisting that these attitudes are expected as a norm from the playing staff then so much the better.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 04:57:59 PM »
..  the great proportion of the blame is down to martin o neill.

Multi-millions wasted on some average players who were paid crazy wages on huge contracts and walking away days before the start of a new season have done the club far more damage than a new manager who is trying to sort out the mess that was left behind!

I agree with this opinion wholeheartedly.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 05:42:57 PM »
Isn't it about time that these spoilt, over-paid prima-donnas took their responsibilities more seriously and tried to put in performances that justified their enormous salaries (they are starting to sound just like bankers). If the owner and his manager are insisting that these attitudes are expected as a norm from the playing staff then so much the better.

In a perfect world then yes but we are 3rd bottom.  Whatever GH is doing, and it may seem the right thing to do putting these overpaid prima donnas in their place, is not working.  All good and well saying how it SHOULD be but points are what we need and MON got them.  Up to now Houllier has not, whatever method he uses.

Online Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 06:15:59 PM »
Absolutely off-topic but....

Houllier's style of managing has won far more than O'Neill's.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 06:20:47 PM »
Totally agree mattja and ger! It may well be that houliier deserves some blame for the situation but the great proportion of the blame is down to martin o neill.

Multi-millions wasted on some average players who were paid crazy wages on huge contracts and walking away days before the start of a new season have done the club far more damage than a new manager who is trying to sort out the mess that was left behind!

If you think last season was a mess, what do you call now?

Offline avfc_1874

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2011, 06:37:37 PM »
Well written article. But it just explains what we already know.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2011, 06:45:42 PM »
By all accounts I bet MON was the only manager in the world (other than my old Junior level manager) who based his training methods on 5-a-side.
Whoever came in to take charge would have upset the majority of the squad. You can see it now....

"Running, press ups, circuit training, fucking sit ups - Now you must be joking. Fuck this boss, I'm off down the titty bar, you coming Dunney"

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 06:57:14 PM »

So let Gezza take training during the week and get Martin back to give them a rollicking before each game? 
We'd just need to restrict the rollicking to either before kick off or half time, as we only ever turned up for 45 minutes a game. My preference would be for half time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal