collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 01:36:00 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 01:34:59 PM]

Nicoḷ Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by coreyfeldman
[Today at 01:30:38 PM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by itbrvilla
[Today at 01:30:01 PM]

Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by Monty
[Today at 01:25:56 PM]

Champions League Contention by LeeS
[Today at 12:58:21 PM]

Celebrity Fans. What's The Point? by AV82EC
[Today at 12:48:30 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Drummond
[Today at 12:42:16 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The difference between o neill and houllier  (Read 31396 times)

Offline Merv

Re: The difference between o neill and houllier
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 02:46:33 PM »
Decent clue as to the drop in Warnock's form this season, too.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 02:56:13 PM »
Good article, I did enjoy MON's reign, but I view Villa from a distance and not as a terrace spectator. Maybe that is why I didn't quite get the "dull" football tag. However we became consistent, maybe that's all we would have been, we'll never know.

These training methods Houllier has brought in has certainly upset the apple cart, it shows what selfish greedy lazy shits some of these players are in a bloody blessed lifestyle they have.

However I think given time, and if he can bring in the right players to play alongside the decent pool of talent we have here I think Houllier will turn us into a decent team and a team good to watch. I think he will be better off for our younger players than MON ever was or would have been.

Offline eastie

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 02:56:25 PM »
Now randy has backed his man and is giving him cash to spend the question of will he be sacked seems to have sudsided.we need to get behind the team and get out of trouble and there would be no point randy giving him money now to sack him later in the season- houllier is our manager and hopefully the chants levelled against him will stop- certainly a win at blues would be a good start.

I would hope we can pick up 7 points from our next 3 games and with new signings on top things could change very much for the better. Ultimately of course he will be judged on results and bringing in his type of player will surely improve us .

Interesting the part about players having to move nearer to the club given the news that ash has recently moved back to Hertfordshire, I wonder what to make of that one?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:01:31 PM by east19 »

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 03:03:02 PM »
In answer to the thread title - about 20 points.

Lerner and Faulkner will decide if Gerard stays or goes but we have  the absolute worst form in the Premier League since he arrived and unless something changes we will be relegated. It is as simple as that.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 03:04:53 PM »
I think Gezza needs a bit of a charm offensive to win over the fans. Not sure how he does this, but he needs to get the vocal minority on his side to ease the pressure a bit.

To be fair, the poll ran on this site would suggest that it is actually the majority he needs to win over.

I agree with what Nev said above - from the article I'd say a combination of the two styles/approaches is the recipe for success.  Someone also mentioned a better assistant to be the 'Mr Motivator', which was presumably the role Pinnochio played under him at Anfield.  In contrast, I always thought or Fergie as more of a shouter than technical coach, yet he then employs those that are, such and Quieroz and McClaren.

MON's way get instant results, Gezza's takes more time.  Which one actually brings BETTER results remains to be seen, although so far it's advantage MON.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 03:11:01 PM »

Lerner and Faulkner will decide if Gerard stays or goes but we have  the absolute worst form in the Premier League since he arrived and unless something changes we will be relegated. It is as simple as that.

I firmly believe that "something" is the attitude of some players.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 03:16:01 PM »

I firmly believe that "something" is the attitude of some players.

I firmly believe you're correct. Hopefully an injection of new players will help focus minds.

Offline russon

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 03:25:50 PM »
Three successive sixth-place finishes in the Premier League - O'Neill......and we let him walk.  ::)

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 03:28:02 PM »
Cannot disagree with any of the article, which outlines differences in management, and also in success on the pitch.
Houllier's management 'style' does not go down well with anyone, and I can't see it changing even if we scrape out of this mess, which I doubt.
We are going down and Houllier was a dead man walking after the Liverpool debacle.
The only person who does'nt see it is Mr. Lerner.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 03:37:24 PM »
Three successive sixth-place finishes in the Premier League - O'Neill......and we let him walk.  ::)

three successive 6th place finishes off the back of how many million pounds spent? wasnt it telling of how limited MONs tactics and way of running things that the wheels constantly fell off big time after the turn of the year? F**k o'neil, that idiot is the reason our club is in a mess, not houllier...

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 03:38:15 PM »
With no obvious sign of being able to get us any higher. Quite the opposite in fact. Also, this "brought us to Wembley twice" rubbish gets on my nerves. What was the point in getting there when we didn't win either game?

Obviously we are in a very sticky situation at the moment, but if (and granted, it's a big if) Houllier signed the right players and got rid of the trouble makers in the squad, who knows what might happen (for the better or worse)?

Online Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 03:41:25 PM »

What we should have done is begged him to stay, let him spend shitloads of more shit players, get 6th place again and go out of business.

Offline eastie

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 03:42:52 PM »
Totally agree mattja and ger! It may well be that houliier deserves some blame for the situation but the great proportion of the blame is down to martin o neill.

Multi-millions wasted on some average players who were paid crazy wages on huge contracts and walking away days before the start of a new season have done the club far more damage than a new manager who is trying to sort out the mess that was left behind!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:51:53 PM by east19 »

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 03:50:55 PM »
Also, this "brought us to Wembley twice" rubbish gets on my nerves. What was the point in getting there when we didn't win either game?

The point of getting to Wembley?  To try and win a trophy.  We have only reached Wembley a handful of times since the late 70's and so I for one was grateful to go there twice in a month.  You have to get there first before you can win it and I believe he deserves credit for getting us there.

Regarding the article, I understand what he is trying to say and it may well be that should we stay up we will have a better future under GH.  The problem is that we could be kicking off our 22nd league game of the season on Sunday bottom of the league and away to our local rivals.  Unless he gets us playing, and soon, then we may not have much of a future to look forward to. 

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »
With no obvious sign of being able to get us any higher. Quite the opposite in fact.

While I would agree that there might not have been any obvious signs, I think the fact we increased the points total and gap to 4th year on year make the 2nd sentence unfair.

What would we have been like this season under MON?  Who knows, but what we do know is we have been very poor under Houllier, even allowing for the injuries.  If he can improve the technical coaching and make more use of the funds available by sharper transfer dealings then all well and good, but whether or not that is enough, without a motivational qualities of an O'Neill, to get us to or above 6th reamins to be seen.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:08:59 PM by John M »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal