collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Sidwell - An alternative eulogy  (Read 11989 times)

Offline SteveD

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Steve Sidwell - An alternative eulogy
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 01:41:03 PM »
There was hardly huge disapproval when we signed him. He looked good for a season at Reading, enough for Chelsea to sign him and spending most of a season not kicking a ball before we picked him up was hardly the best preparation. There is a bit of small time-ism at our club - fans shuddering at big wages, while if we are to pick up even cast-offs from the likes of Chelsea or Man City, we will be expected to pay big money.

Apart from injuries he never really got a run in the team (unlike Petrov, who was played despite being poor for most of his first season). He obviously was not the player the club hoped for. The top six clubs between them have plenty of misfits, misfiring and plain ordinary players, on big bucks. Perhaps only Arsenal have an exceptional strike rate with players they sign. I wouldn't question Sidwell's attitude, he just never looked the player he had been, all too briefly. 

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 01:47:35 PM »
Does anyone remember his cameo Vs Man Utd last season?  Unfortunately this will be my abiding memory of him.  He was in achres of space, under no pressure and an easy header.  He headed it straight to a United player.  I guess sometimes you can have too much time.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 02:40:41 PM »
I'm amazed he's got a gig at another Premiership club, thought he'd be dropping down a level or two

Offline levico

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 03:42:16 PM »
here's my eulogy by song:

Der der der der.   ...........F***ing useless........

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 04:13:17 PM »
Steve Sidwell does exactly what it says on the tin. 

We should have read the label. Failing that, we should have turned him upside down and used him as a brush.

Offline jembob

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 05:17:09 PM »
I always thought he was slightly hard done by until I saw this fact:

At a cost of £11.25 million Steve has cost the equivalent of 450'000 adult customers, this equates to 11.8 home games.

That's a ridiculous sum of money to pay for such an unproductive player - no wonder RAL was so keen to get the wage bill down.

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 05:29:09 PM »
All in all he was a poor player for us and I m glad we are no longer paying his wages. However he never mouthed off about his lack of opportunities in the papers and never had a go at the club or the managers. For that I wish him all the best. It reminds me of my ex.. A lovely girl just a bit average and it was never going to work. ( she wasn't Ginger ! )
See, I kind of have a problem with this. He never mouthed off in the paper about not playing, is just like saying that he was happy to take his salary, and not play. Thats wrong IMO. I think a player mouthing off about not playing, regardless of how good they are, or whether they deserve to be in the team, shows more willing than someone who happily takes his wages, and not earning them.

Yes I agree that a player should not be happy about not playing and if he wants to make the point to the manager I would be all for it. I just meant he never moaned publically to the media which I dont think helps. Look at Pires now with what hes supposed to have said;- its just not helped. Same for Berger etc

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 05:55:20 PM »
Steve Sidwell - the man with custard skin for ankle joints.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 06:48:24 PM »
no doubt he will turn into the reincarnation of Alan Ball now he's at Fulham

Offline mal

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 08:56:09 PM »
It says something that he was kept out of the side lately by NRC, who MON also bought and who he also considered not good enough to get a game.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 09:23:33 PM »
There was hardly huge disapproval when we signed him. He looked good for a season at Reading, enough for Chelsea to sign him and spending most of a season not kicking a ball before we picked him up was hardly the best preparation. There is a bit of small time-ism at our club - fans shuddering at big wages, while if we are to pick up even cast-offs from the likes of Chelsea or Man City, we will be expected to pay big money.

Apart from injuries he never really got a run in the team (unlike Petrov, who was played despite being poor for most of his first season). He obviously was not the player the club hoped for. The top six clubs between them have plenty of misfits, misfiring and plain ordinary players, on big bucks. Perhaps only Arsenal have an exceptional strike rate with players they sign. I wouldn't question Sidwell's attitude, he just never looked the player he had been, all too briefly. 

Agree with this however paying somebody who hasn't played for most of the season before it seems to be something we're getting frustratingly good at when you consider Ireland.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 09:31:58 PM »
He had an operation he didn't need, at the time our injury problem was at its height, in order to be fit for the transfer window.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 09:51:34 PM »
He had an operation he didn't need, at the time our injury problem was at its height, in order to be fit for the transfer window.

Obviously you have sources we don't but isn't that statement a bit of an oxymoron. If he didn't need it why would it make him fit for the transfer window. And wouldn't the club have a say on a player having an operation that puts him out of the game if it wasn't required. Unless we are talking a Curcic nose job of course.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 09:57:54 PM »

Obviously you have sources we don't but isn't that statement a bit of an oxymoron. If he didn't need it why would it make him fit for the transfer window.

To clear up a bit of a problem. He's fit now, isn't he?

Offline adam#1

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2011, 09:01:43 AM »
By PA 4:06PM GMT 09 Nov 2010
The former Chelsea player (Steve Sidwell) is to undergo surgery on his troublesome Achilles after initially delaying an operation to help Villa through their current injury crisis.

Presumably that clears that up, unless someone has access to confidential medical records.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:06:06 AM by adam#1 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal