collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 100% Villa. Penalties and red cards.  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Holtenderinthesky

100% Villa. Penalties and red cards.
« on: January 10, 2011, 07:42:59 PM »
Just thinking about the Blues game and the fact that Ash and Heskey are both suspended and it got me thinking.  Why are we getting so many red and yellow cards and why are we conceding so many penalties?   I can't remember the concession of as many spot kicks in as quick succession as there has been lateley.  Is it 4 in 4 games? Also, when was the last time we had 2 players suspended for straight reds at the same time?  We are not going to get out of the mess we are in until we stop gifting the opposition advantages such as we have lately.  The 7 yellows at Chelsea may have been harsh but it seems indicative of our season that there is so little discipline.  Is this a management issue or are the players just not concentrating? 

Offline luke25

Re: 100% Villa. Penalties and red cards.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 07:49:43 PM »
Kind of along the same theme, I've never had so little confidence in a keeper than what I have with Friedel and penalties

Offline El Hurricane

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 08:22:19 PM »
Why haven't we appealed against Ash's red? No attention to detail is there?

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:25:03 PM »
Ash's wasn't a straight red, it was two yellows which cannot be appealed.

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 09:58:13 PM »
Kind of along the same theme, I've never had so little confidence in a keeper than what I have with Friedel and penalties
Surely you are taking the piss? Or have you wiped the memories of Frank Carson's Komedy Keeper Katastrophes from your mind?  If so can you tell me how to get rid of 'em too 'cos they still disturb me.

Penalties are a lottery for the keeper. Keeper has one of three choices to make - left, right or stay where he is. The penalty taker has the added advantage of being able to place the ball where it is impossible to save (top corners) If the keeper guesses correctly AND the penalty is a poor one he's a genius. Otherwise he's unlucky.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 10:06:33 PM »
It's just a run that sometimes afflicts most teams. The good thing is that for the rest of the season we will have different fortune. No forensics needed here!

Offline stevenavfc

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 10:35:20 PM »
The whole issue of penalties and red cards is a joke. Seems that most games if not decided by them are critically changed by them.
I started watching football in the 60's when reds and pens were quite rare.
It drives me mad that the offensive player can win a penalty just by ensuring there is contact of any kind even if he has to move towards the defenders outstretched leg to ensure it or crumple theatrically to achieve a simulation of it.
You are not supposed to be able to create or win a penalty it is supposed to be wilful act to stop the attacking player by foul means that you couldn't reasonably expect said attacker to avoid.
The sooner this stuff is decided by instant video evidence the better because referee's get these decisions wrong in almost every game now. I don't accept that it would interfere with the flow of the game, wouldn't be any worse than waiting while Delap wipes the ef'in ball  every time he takes a throw in.

Offline davevillan

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 12:40:28 AM »
The whole issue of penalties and red cards is a joke. Seems that most games if not decided by them are critically changed by them.
It drives me mad that the offensive player can win a penalty just by ensuring there is contact of any kind even if he has to move towards the defenders outstretched leg to ensure it or crumple theatrically to achieve a simulation of it.
You are not supposed to be able to create or win a penalty it is supposed to be wilful act to stop the attacking player by foul means that you couldn't reasonably expect said attacker to avoid.
The sooner this stuff is decided by instant video evidence the better because referee's get these decisions wrong in almost every game now. I don't accept that it would interfere with the flow of the game, wouldn't be any worse than waiting while Delap wipes the ef'in ball  every time he takes a throw in.
Red cards were rare in the 60's as they werent around then!
Dont forget the Ref gets one view/one angle and has to make a split second judgement call. Human nature dictates, you will sometimes get one wrong. Defenders just dive in and make tackles they dont need to make, there is contact, the striker goes down. The ref has to make a decision. It happens at all levels of the game, not just the top level.
I am dead against video evidence here. What happens if while they are reviewing it, the other team have a quick break and score at the other end, all hell would be let loose.
Take the manure pen yesterday, even now , there are some who say it was, some say it wasnt. There is too much of a grey area there, which is why it has to stay with the ref.
Up until Heskey got sent off last weds, our last player sent off was Beye at west ham last season, it was just stupidity by heskey and young.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 12:45:45 AM »
Just thinking about the Blues game and the fact that Ash and Heskey are both suspended and it got me thinking.  Why are we getting so many red and yellow cards and why are we conceding so many penalties?   I can't remember the concession of as many spot kicks in as quick succession as there has been lateley.  Is it 4 in 4 games? Also, when was the last time we had 2 players suspended for straight reds at the same time?  We are not going to get out of the mess we are in until we stop gifting the opposition advantages such as we have lately.  The 7 yellows at Chelsea may have been harsh but it seems indicative of our season that there is so little discipline.  Is this a management issue or are the players just not concentrating? 

Two words: Liam Ridgewell

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 10:31:31 AM »
As long as we don't concede a penalty or get a red card on sunday, i can see Small Heath giving us a penalty though.

Offline stevenavfc

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 05:24:31 PM »
Red cards were rare in the 60's as they werent around then!
Dont forget the Ref gets one view/one angle and has to make a split second judgement call. Human nature dictates, you will sometimes get one wrong. Defenders just dive in and make tackles they dont need to make, there is contact, the striker goes down. The ref has to make a decision. It happens at all levels of the game, not just the top level.
I am dead against video evidence here. What happens if while they are reviewing it, the other team have a quick break and score at the other end, all hell would be let loose.
Take the manure pen yesterday, even now , there are some who say it was, some say it wasnt. There is too much of a grey area there, which is why it has to stay with the ref.
Up until Heskey got sent off last weds, our last player sent off was Beye at west ham last season, it was just stupidity by heskey and young.
Yeah sending off red cards you know what I mean, I still feel too many penalties are MANU-factured and too many red cards are soft. Obviously the game would have to stop whilst contentious incidents are sorted out but the time presently spent arguing the toss would most likely suffice

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 05:27:16 PM »

I mentioned this to my brother on Saturday, at Blackburn he seemed to have a decent record of saving penalties but I can't remember him getting near that many for us.

Offline kiddylion

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 05:39:38 PM »

I mentioned this to my brother on Saturday, at Blackburn he seemed to have a decent record of saving penalties but I can't remember him getting near that many for us.

i agree,i think the only penalty i can remember friedel saving for us was on his debut against reading in a pre season game.
he saved 1 from barry against us at ewood park aswell a few years back.
he reminds me of peter shilton in the 1990 world cup shootout against germany-diving about 2 seconds after the balls hit the net!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal