collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa: Ryan Babel  (Read 6530 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: 0% Villa: Ryan Babel
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 10:21:35 AM »
I direct and slanderous allegation such as that is different from a funny, and obviously mock up, picture.  I must admit I don't use Twitter, but I see this as a principal of free speech and hope he fights it as such.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 10:22:22 AM »
I think MON should have done the same thing after the semi-final last season. With a John Terry shirt on maybe...

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »
I direct and slanderous allegation such as that is different from a funny, and obviously mock up, picture.  I must admit I don't use Twitter, but I see this as a principal of free speech and hope he fights it as such.

Rubbish. He called the ref a cheat on a public forum albeit in a sly way. If managers do it they are called to account, why not players?

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 10:30:39 AM »

Rubbish. He called the ref a cheat on a public forum albeit in a sly way. If managers do it they are called to account, why not players?

So everyone that posts such a picture should be subject to either FA action or a slander case?

Actually, I'd say that legally what should happen is that Webb should sue if he wishes, but the FA's powers should not extend into the private lives of players once away from the game.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »

So everyone that posts such a picture should be subject to either FA action or a slander case?

Actually, I'd say that legally what should happen is that Webb should sue if he wishes, but the FA's powers should not extend into the private lives of players once away from the game.

It's a question of internal discipline. If he called the ref a cheat during the game he's be booked or sent off. If he did it in private nothing would happen it's the fact that he chose a public forum to air his "joke" that has got him in trouble.

If I did it the FA have no jurisdiction over me so couldn't charge me.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 10:57:12 AM »
And that's what I'm getting at - I think they should have no jurisdiction outside the game itself.

One player punches another on the field - red card.  He does it in the street - assault charge.  What Babel says away from the game is his business and the only person who should take action is Webb, if he so chooses.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 11:05:12 AM »
And that's what I'm getting at - I think they should have no jurisdiction outside the game itself.

One player punches another on the field - red card.  He does it in the street - assault charge.  What Babel says away from the game is his business and the only person who should take action is Webb, if he so chooses.

We're not going to agree on this but I'd much rather this type of thing be dealt with internally rather than through the courts; that way lies chaos. He gets the chance to argue his case but if he's breached the rules then he should be dealt with.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 11:07:04 AM »
What about that bloke who posted on Twitter/Facebook I can't remember which about blowing up an airport or something along those lines.  It was quite obviously a joke but it wasn't seen as that and the bloke get's a prision sentence.

Once you start putting your thoughts to 'print' for the world to see it's a whole different scenario. 

As for Babel, allow this to go unpunished and you've opened a Pandoras box.   It would have been different if he articulated his feelings to suggest Webb got a decision wrong but to blatantly picture him as a cheat as he did is not on.  The FA are right to police it's members who represent it's organisation in all football matters

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 11:16:59 AM »
Well, it seems I'm going against the grain on this, so I won't labour the point any further other than to say I think what he did was irresponsible and stupid, but a line should be drawn as to how far the FA can govern a players actions away from the field of play.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 01:01:23 PM »
They have drawn a line, and decided that calling a referee a cheat on a public forum is below it.

Offline davevillan

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 01:02:46 PM »
John. When you are in the position babel is, then you have a responsibility to the game.
Whatever your thoughts, his actions are basically accusing Webb of bias/cheating, call it whatever you like.
That is the biggest insult you can say to a ref.
All because, Webb gave a split second decision against his team which he didnt agree with.
Had Webb or any other ref, publically ridiculed a player, insulted him directly or made sly references, then they would never be allowed to officiate at that level, and rightly so.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »
The irony of the whole situation is that Webb was possibly the only person to take the field on Sunday without the intention of cheating.

He had one look at the penalty and because of a blatant act of cheating by Berbatov was fooled into making the incorrect decision. Had it gone the other way, Babel would have accepted it without complaint. Ferguson is culpable for allowing his players to cheat. Dalgleish bleating is empty noise when Gerard has dived countless times to win decisions. In fact I would guess that at one time or another during Sunday's game most of the players on the pitch "simulated" a scenario in which to draw an incorrect decision from the ref.

Our referees may not be perfect, some are incompetant but they don't cheat. How many managers and players can you say that about?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal