collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Argument between Downing & Gary Mac Yesterday  (Read 13075 times)

Offline Villa'Zawg

Re: Argument between Downing & Gary Mac Yesterday
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 02:22:23 PM »
jesus, a while back one of our players was having a fight with the ex-manager. Now a couple of cross words and we're in crisis.

Mad.

If true, the assistant manager and one of the subs spending several minutes arguing on the touchline during a match is a valid topic of discussion on here, regardless of whether some would rather not hear about it or consider the implications.

We're not in crisis because of a couple of cross words, we're in crisis because under Gerard Houllier we are taking fewer points than every other team in the league.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 02:24:44 PM »
jesus, a while back one of our players was having a fight with the ex-manager. Now a couple of cross words and we're in crisis.

Mad.

The pertinence of the point is that nobody cares as long as a bad relationship between players and management isn't reflected in performances. Who cared when Morley made a bee-line for Saunders to give him the v-sign? Nobody, because he'd just scored a great goal in the European Cup.

And judging by the effort they put in, the vast majority of the players liked playing for MON.

To me now, it seems that many of our players are not motivated by the current management team, rows or not.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 02:35:47 PM »
And judging by the effort they put in, the vast majority of the players liked playing for MON.

To me now, it seems that many of our players are not motivated by the current management team, rows or not.

The ones who were in his rarely altered started XI did. The ones who weren't were probably not so keen on him.

I agree, there seems to be a lot of discord in the camp at the moment, though, and I can't believe anyone doesn't think an assistant manager and player having a row on the touchline isn't something that is going to be discussed on here.

I also think it's hard to point to MON's era as one free of arguments, too, unless we've forgotten the spats with players he signed then binned, as well as stuff like the ruck with NRC.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 02:48:45 PM »
Hmm, from what I've seen of Pires this season I'm perfectly capable of understanding why Houllier doesn't have confidence in him. However, I thought it was understood that Pires would be a bit-part player that was brought in because of his experience and good attitude. Thus, I'm disappointed that he starts moaning about not playing, especially since his performances so far have been, well, there's good and there's not so good, and Pires' performances have fallen into the latter category.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 02:55:06 PM »
What do you want, the club to turn into the "Waltons" ?????

Offline villa for life

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 02:58:40 PM »
It's so weird...after a win, an argument between Downing and Gary Mac is considered nothing by most people who've responded to this thread, yet after a loss, threads about arguments between players and management are seen as evidence that things are drastically wrong.....

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 03:10:02 PM »
I wonder if Gary Mac was asking him why he constantly pulls out of tackles.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 03:33:59 PM »
Wasn't this when the 4th official held up the wrong number? I saw Downing and McAllister both arguing with him.

But if it helps all the teary eyed O'Neill fans keep moaning about Houllier then good for them.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 03:52:54 PM »
So this went on for several minutes while Downing was playing? Didn't notice him leave the field, certainly not for that long.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 04:08:32 PM »
Wasn't this when the 4th official held up the wrong number? I saw Downing and McAllister both arguing with him.

Sounds likely to me, there was a lot of gesticulating with McAllister and Downing trying to sort the numbers out, trying to send Young back onto the pitch etc. I'd have thought the cameras would have picked up on this if it were something else. Did any other fans at the ground see this?

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 04:15:26 PM »

Sounds likely to me, there was a lot of gesticulating with McAllister and Downing trying to sort the numbers out, trying to send Young back onto the pitch etc. I'd have thought the cameras would have picked up on this if it were something else. Did any other fans at the ground see this?

I think most of us who were there thought "jesus we can't even get a substitution right!"

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 04:24:13 PM »
Christ, I've generally always been skipper of most teams I have played for and in one game me and the manager had one bust up with me nearly snapping the half way line flag in two.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 04:34:09 PM »
Arguing for a few minutes?! Don't make me laugh!

Offline sfx412

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 04:46:52 PM »
Dear me the club must be disintegrating scoop, by amazed Villa fan.

One thing most fans seem to have missed is that under Mon, if anyone spoke out of turn they were fined and probably r3legated to the never play bench. Anyone found disagreeing with him on the pitch would probably never be seen at Villa again.

Houllier has a more open approach it seems where players are allowed to pass comments and disagree, its part of his new policy allied to the newish style of training that he's adopted.

So I'd guess there's more opportunity for those looking at every chance to jump on Ged's case to so do.

But then if they see it work at Liverpool why not try it at Villa I guess, thing is all we have in the sidelines is G Taylor and K Mac, which may be their dream ticket but its not any sane fans.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal