collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 08:11:04 PM]

NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 08:01:13 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 07:48:34 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Smirker
[Today at 07:43:56 PM]

Ollie Watkins by AV84
[Today at 07:41:32 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 07:22:44 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 06:55:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Lsvilla
[Today at 06:53:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 08:11:04 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:09:53 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 08:09:31 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:07:53 PM]

[Today at 08:07:17 PM]

[Today at 08:06:54 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:06:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:04:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: ITV football coverage.  (Read 14256 times)

Offline VillaZogmariner

Re: ITV football coverage.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 12:32:36 AM »
I didn't think it would be worth starting a new thread about it, but whilst we are discussing crap coverage this is the match report from the BBC -

Aston Villa safely negotiated a testing FA Cup tie against Sheffield United.

New signing Kyle Walker ran from just inside the United half before side-stepping Rob Kozluk and slotting past Blades goalkeeper Steve Simonsen.

Just past the half hour Ashley Young's dinked cross was expertly volleyed in by Marc Albrighton to make it 2-0.

In the second half Carlos Cuellar gave away a penalty - converted by Jamie Ward - but Stiliyan Petrov's injury-time goal made the game safe for Villa.

Walker was making his debut after joining Villa on loan from Spurs and he took only nine minutes to make an impact as he galloped away from a series of tackles before wrong-footing Simonsen with his shot.

Villa slipped into the bottom three after a home defeat by Sunderland in midweek, but the visitors showed no sign of their Premier League malaise when Albrighton extended their lead.

Young burst down the left before crossing to the far post and Albrighton crashed in his volley.
The early stages of the second half brought some hope for the Blades when Lee Williamson was fouled by Cuellar inside the box and Ward thumped his penalty down the middle of the goal.

Walker's trick on the edge of his own area almost proved costly when he was hurried into a pass which ended up at Daniel Bogdanovic's feet but Villa goalkeeper Brad Friedel came to the rescue.

With 25 minutes left Villa manager Houllier made a double substitution, introducing Petrov and Stewart Downing for Barry Bannan and Robert Pires.

Petrov should have extended Villa's lead with two chances in two minutes.

He was first put through by Downing only to be denied by Simonsen, before the Bulgarian's header from a corner bounced just the wrong side of the post.

But Petrov made amends for his earlier miss with a fine finish following a one-two with the impressive Albrighton in injury time.

Spot what important bit of information is missing.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 01:08:28 AM »
Jeez, I know Ash huffed off down the tunnel in a hurry but surely even the BBC spotted it?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 04:28:48 AM »
Can they not use the same gantry positions for the cameras as the Beeb/Sky do? A lot of the games seemed to be at shit angles or on zoom-cam.

I thought Damon would have sorted this out by now.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 06:21:49 AM »
I noticed that error in the Beeb report, piss poor.

But, of course, never as bad as ITV.

I tuned in yesterday to watch the big kick off to their 3rd round coverage, the Arse/Leeds tie. No surprise that they used the same titles as last year and equally no surprise that they stalled 20 seconds in and had to be restarted. Cut to the Albion gonk looking utterly bereft. From Daybreak to ITV football coverage, surely this sort of cruelty is against the Geneva convention?

I laughed like a drain.

Offline villa1

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 09:10:01 AM »
Don't like Chiles. Too light hearted and not serious enough with my football coverage.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 09:30:25 AM »
No i must say it wasn't very good ITV coverage of the FA Cup MOTD and Sky give far better service.

Online Chris Harte

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 09:31:31 AM »
I rarely complain about MoTD purely because I remember how bad ITV's coverage can be.

Offline wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 09:56:07 AM »
Is it me or does Andy Townsend look thinner now than when he played for us. Looks a bit ill.

Shocking coverage as usual too

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 10:04:28 AM »
To cover the 3rd round in 1.5 hours of highlights is always going to be difficult however ITV  get it wrong everytime. I honestly don't know why they bother with football.  They have the first call , in England, on FA Cup and CL games and they make a piss poor job of both.

Offline big 1st serve

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »
 ITV have always been useless with football coverage.
 I mean Gary Newbon actually built a career at ITV, after being made to look stupid on more than one occasion by the likes of Jimmy Greaves & Brian Clough.

ITVs most memorable coverage for me, May 82 apart
 was the Dancing Footballers compilation they used to put together, which I think they started at the 1970 World Cup, to the tune of Gimme Dat Ting, by The Pipkins???
 Someone might have footage of that .

Offline SO Villa

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 10:23:32 AM »
They commented on Diouf's taunting of Jamie Mackie without showing it. Remarkable.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 10:39:30 AM »
ITV's usual bumper big bag of bollocks.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 10:58:25 AM »
They commented on Diouf's taunting of Jamie Mackie without showing it. Remarkable.
[/quote

And when they did they exonerated the little word removed and blamed Warnock instead for his reaction!  They said that Diouf "liked to wind people up" and that Warnock shouldn't rise to the bait.  If spitting in people's faces and attacking people who are lying on the ground with a broken leg is "winding people up then my goodness what next?  I suppose that Hitler bloke was a bit of a wind up merchant too.  I hate the way footballers get away with EVERYTHING.  ITV should have had the balls to slam the horriblepiece of scum for what he did but they didn't.  I hate ITV.  Rubbish coverage.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:05:02 PM by Holtenderinthesky »

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 11:43:23 AM »
I recorded it and watched it this morning. Took about half an hour having FF'd through the adverts and tedious post mortems.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 11:53:02 AM »
ITV's coverage was very poor last night. I was expecting them to analyse our game given that our last captain to lift a trophy was on the panel but no, that was too much to ask. I also picked up on how Townsend looked. I hope he isn't ill.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal