collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Monty
[Today at 10:41:53 PM]

Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:39:14 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by AV84
[Today at 10:33:34 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:31:35 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by The Edge
[Today at 10:26:27 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:07:52 PM]

150 celebrations by curiousorange
[Today at 10:05:45 PM]

NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:31:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: In defence of Houllier  (Read 40941 times)

Offline WikiVilla

Re: In defence of Houllier
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 09:34:07 AM »
I watched Houllier and McAllister in the dug-out on Weds night
Both just sat there clueless, no instructions, no motivating players - NOTHING !!
Houllier got up on about 87 mins, to make the subs

This is not leadership, this is not management

It's beyond a joke, a shambles

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 09:45:09 AM »
After Sunderland he hasn't got a clue, Ashley has played as a striker all season and has I think 1 goal from open play, Delfouneso has more skill than Gabby and Ashley, so if Ash 'can only' play up front, dont put our main striker who cant get past a man on the wing.

I honestly think this is a classic case of Clough and Taylor.

But I also think there is a real problem at this club. The players seem to havaloof of power. We had Gareth Barry who played as a defensive midfielder for England but wouldn't play it for Villa, now we have Ashley who wants to play upfront.

We need a strong character to completely change the mentallity at our club, I think Hoillier is trying to do this, but because of the poor results is losing the battle with the players.
If we were winning a few more games the players would have no choice but to play ball, but now we are in a situation where the manager has too make up with players he basically does not want at the club.

I just hope he can turn it around because the board and Randy have got no balls.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 09:52:05 AM »
It wasn't Houllier's fault that Heskey got sent off on Wednesday, but the rest of that shambles sure was. The formation was diabolical. Everyone I have spoken to has said the same and the manager and coaching staff sat motionless on the bench watching it all unfold.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 09:58:24 AM »
Excatly, it was obvious after 20 mins that Gabby on the left wing was not working.
Downing on the Right Wing ?? Why not switch them ??

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 10:14:52 AM »
I was fairly neutral about his appointment, could have been better, could have been a lot worse.  I really liked the way he tried to get us to play a more passing game and was willing to trust some of the younger players.  Up to the Man Yoo game it seemed to be working and we were playing some good stuff. 

However a combination of factors have conspired to bugger things up.  Some, like extended injury lists,  bad attitudes of some players, and the fact he was saddled with plenty of ageing, technically mediocre, overpaid players, are not his fault.  But he has to take responsibility for other problems - trying to change things too quickly, not getting the players on board with what he is trying to do,  alienating many fans with that disgraceful show on and off the pitch at Anfield, and his often poorly judged comments in the media.  I wouldn't say the shambolic defence is all his fault, we shipped 6 at far from mighty Newcastle before he rocked up, so the rot was already setting in then - but he's done little to correct it. 

I still feel he can keep us up if he is allowed to bring in a few of his own players, but I do get the impression he is not taking the job serioulsy enough, a kind of "oh well it's only Villa" attitude.  I think he needs to appreciate Aston Villa Fc more and the size of the job he has taken on and pull his bloody finger out.   

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 10:18:39 AM »
I genuinely think, Houllier believes we are lucky to have him

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 10:18:50 AM »
I read the article partly the reason for coming to Houlliers defence, it is easy for scribes to apportion blame without giving any answers, we all like someone to blame. I have never see a season when there are so many managers under pressure and to me the answer isn't all that difficult. Chelsea because they havn't strengthened in twelve months, Villa ditto, West Ham because they were crap before the season started and havn't strengthened and Liverpool guess what.

Villa not strengthening/ not spending last summer would be a perfectly valid argument if we hadn't pushed on this year, or even if we were lost in mid table. This is a bit more serious than that and this squad alone -even without reinforcements- is not the third worst in the division.  So something is wrong somewhere.

For the other clubs you mentioned, Liverpool spent decent money on the likes of Meireles and Poulson and brought in established stars like Joe Cole and Jovanović via free transfers on big wages. West Ham brought in Piquionne, Obona and Hitzelsberger, Chelsea brought in Yossi Benayoun and Ramires. So I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make, unless you're highlighting the fact that they -like us- currently possess a manager who can't get the best out of his players.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 10:46:34 AM »
I suppose Houllier's English is not bad.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 10:58:49 AM »
I genuinely think, Houllier believes we are lucky to have him
If so, that's something he has in common with the previous manager.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 11:05:25 AM »
They are all to blame, players, management, coaching staff. All of 'em.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 11:23:30 AM »
I think he does need some support - i am hearing that a few of MON's favourites are determined that he will not succeed (Petrov + Dunne being two very influential players)
I feel that he was thrown in the deepend whern there really was not many decent choices available thanks to the pube head going the way he did also i am hearing that pre season was a joke as MON knew what he was going to do so in fact he did everything he could to fuck us up prior to him going 4 days before the season kicked in. Add to this quite a few players were already told they were surplus (NRC / Beye / Sidders etc) so it was always going to be tough for any manager to enamour them to the club. Add again the spiralling injury list which was as bad as was good all the time under MON and he was on a hiding to nothing.
Now dont get me wrong the Liverpool fiasco regarding the loss and his actions really did not help him with a lot of fans, escpecially with the more precious of our fans "demanding an apology"  (I actually feel how Hodgson has grovelled to 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' fans  is awful and probably more a sign of the times than anything else)

And then there is luck - or lack of it - it certainly goes against you when you are down here and we have certainly had some shit luck in a lot of games.

There is no excuse for Wed and he should have changed it - it was a poor game but one i felt we would win in 2nd half until Heskey had a rush of blood and then we went into panic mode - i would imagine it would be difficult to make decisions when "our fans" are taking the piss by singing "Sacked in the morning"

Lets not forget we all raved about how free from the shackles our players looked against WHU - then most of commented on how pleasing it was to see our style of gameplay change and especially the fact that he made tactical changes and did not favour  the old stages (Did you see the petulance that Petrov did when he was subbed - he would never be captain again for me - he had a shocker yet looked like he was gobsmacked to be taken off).

I feel that the window will make up my mind of Houllier and the board - get this one wrong and we could be in the shit - big style

Although he has made some cock ups - lets not forget why we are here and who put the spoke in the wheels at the start of the season

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 11:38:23 AM »
At last reasoned discussion without the hysteria what a nice change, i suppose the only post i'll take up is KGs. Yes some of those teams bought a couple of players in but i would argue as to their capabilities, especially Chelsea who are an ageing side and need a major overhaul not a transfusion. I come back to the injuries, horrific is the word i'd use it would challenge any club to have so many senior players out for such a long time, no matter who we appointed he would have faced the same calamity.

Offline Mark H

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 11:44:06 AM »
A great thread to read through as with all due respect there is only one comment IMHO that is not that well thought through that being Pires appointment proves anything/everything.

My concerns are I and I think many could accept a mid table "nothing"season if we where making real progress for the future - change of style of play, getting younger better players bedded in etc.  But to do this you have to take a leap of faith that the man your "jumping of the ledge with" knows that we will not hit the bottom.

So for me that is the question we are asking is GH the guy that we believe in (medium and longer term) to take that leep with...

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 11:44:47 AM »

Simba wrote:

The fact is that any success he had at Liverpool appears acording to their fans, be have been due to Patrice Bergues. With additional nouse from Phil Thompson. Houllier reminds me a bit of Clough without Taylor. 44 days was it?

I too have wondered about this. If as reported Patrice Bergues did all of the defensive coaching and the tatical work, then maybe this is the reason for his abject failure so far.

My thoughts on Houllier changed on wednesday, we splipped into the bottom 3 and it was a home performace reminisent of our worst under MON (even before Heskey got sent off). I was up for giving him a reasonable amount of time and even writing this season off as transition. But relegation is too big a threat

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 11:51:48 AM »
I have heard rumours of around 9-10 players out an the same amount in, during this window and tge summer.

If this is the case, then we will either get a houllier who has his own players who will play for him and we will see progress,

Or we will be well and truly fucked, either way I think we need to support Houllier because it's obvious he isn't going anywhere.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal