collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Injury time subs!  (Read 4165 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Injury time subs!
« on: January 06, 2011, 09:50:52 PM »
Interesting discussion on Danny Kelly show tonight about  the time wasting /breaking the play tactics of  bringing on subs in injury time.  Apparently Mancini was at it last night.
Now this is a tactic we hate when it's  against us and really like  it when it suits us.

Dermott Gallagher  had an idea for a rule change to disallow subs in injury time unless a player is injured. To stop fake injuries any player subbed  for injury reasons will have to sit out the next game.  I think this is a good idea.

How does the forum see it?

Online lovejoy

Re: Injury time subs!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:56:13 PM »
I agree with the idea of banning late subs but really all managers are doing is taking advantage of weak and incompetent referees who fail to add on sufficient time for the substitution. A better idea is to make refs come out after games and explain their key decisions eg what did the ref see when the rest of the world saw Gary Neville upending Dorans(?) or what rule Zabeleta broke last night when being headbutted by Sanga.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:56:56 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly.

I'd also like a way to stop other time wasting tactics like taking an age over a goal kick (*Cough*Craig Gordon*Cough*).

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:04:15 PM »
Seeing Houllier make subs 2 and a half mins before the final whistle when we're chasing a game depresses me

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 10:08:49 PM »
I wonder if Heskey didn't get sent off if he'd have changed earlier? I guess so.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 10:09:53 PM »
Let them use a sub but add 5 minutes extra time per sub....  ;-D

Offline Smoke

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:14:30 PM »
No subs after 85 minutes would be my take on it. I think the game would actually be better for it too.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 10:17:15 PM »
Great idea, I hate the timewasting aspect of the game even when we try it because more often than not it ends up coming back to bite us on the arse and we concede a late goal. It would be fantastic if the FA introduced such a radical new rule, but I can't see it happening for a while.

Offline villa1

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
As long as sufficient time is added for each substitution I don't see an issue.

The only problem then may be that it disrupts the opposition's rhythm.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 10:22:09 PM »
 we should adopt the Rugby Union rules, players getting treasted while the game continues and stop the clock for disruptions

Offline mikeb1982

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 10:23:32 PM »
It's a valid point on a worthy topic, but I think it would go the way of the 6 second rule and automatic yellow for diving and just not be enforced.  Especially if siralex was the one making said subs, while he was stood outside the technical area...

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 10:42:49 PM »
I disagree with the rule change. A player could easily be slightly injured and taken off as a precaution. It would be unfair to then ban him from the next game. The rule would also potentially be dangerous as it might tempt managers to leave players on, risking making the injury more serious. As such I think the PFA would be against it.

I suggest having the clock stop every time the ball goes out of play in injury time as an alternative. The ref would then blow up when the pre-agreed minimum number of minutes had been played. This would stop the time-wasting tactics you mentioned and would also stop referees playing on until Man U score.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 10:46:16 PM »
as said above this is not an issue in rugby so just adopt the same nethods end of

Offline The Charmer

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 11:44:59 PM »
I have always loathed the 'professional' time-wasting tactics with a passion.

Whether it's the Villa attempting to hang-on to a one goal advantage or England trying to creep into the next phase of a tournament, it infuriates me.

When did the whole concept of 'taking it down into the corner' to 'run-down the clock' appear in the game?
If anyone agrees with this method of concluding a match, when does it become acceptable to start trying to cling-on to a slender lead ?
Final minute? Five minutes to go? Beginning of the second-half?

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 11:57:53 PM »
I agree with Dermott Gallagher, no subs in injury time unless for a proper injury.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal