collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby and Ash.........Frauds?  (Read 13053 times)

Offline Blackcountry Villa

Re: Gabby and Ash.........Frauds?
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2011, 08:37:12 PM »
It showed against Spurs and Citeh that we miss Young's creativity when he isn't there. 
So what about all the other games he has played in? We've only won 5 games in the league so where has his creativity been in all the other games? Lets face it he attempts 30 crosses a game and takes every corner and every free kick, anyone doing that would get a fair few assists. He's massively overrated, his crossing is shit, he's a whinger, he's a cheat. He only seems good because our squad is so piss poor, same with Gabby, if we had a good striker he wouldn't get a look in.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2011, 08:38:10 PM »
i dont think Young is creative where he is playing, busy yes. He wants to get involved, demands the ball and because of that we miss him when he dosent play but he is not a number10

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2011, 08:40:40 PM »
I believe playing to their strengths would be a start. Gabby needs space to run into to take advantage of his pace. Playing him left wing means he is normally marked, often by two players, and therefore has little room to exploit. As for Young, he's best in the last third. Unfortunately, he is dropping deeper with each game to try and influence games. I don't think he's selfish, I believe he is trying too hard to take responsibility and make something positive happen. However, with things not coming off I feel it's being misinterpreted by some fans.

Anyway, that's my take and this could be easily solved if GH would tinker and put things back to how they were. It's proven to work and we need to go back to basics at the moment and regain some confidence. Young can find space on the wing and cross and Gabby has proved he will get a dozen or so goal, often in gluts and we need a glut now. How different things would be if he could bag 5 or 6 goals in the next 8 games.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2011, 10:03:02 PM »
It showed against Spurs and Citeh that we miss Young's creativity when he isn't there. 
So what about all the other games he has played in? We've only won 5 games in the league so where has his creativity been in all the other games? Lets face it he attempts 30 crosses a game and takes every corner and every free kick, anyone doing that would get a fair few assists. He's massively overrated, his crossing is shit, he's a whinger, he's a cheat. He only seems good because our squad is so piss poor, same with Gabby, if we had a good striker he wouldn't get a look in.

I never said he was world class, just that as far as our current squad goes, he's as good as we can get and potentially better.  There aren't that many footballers about these days who are prepared to take people on or attempt a killer pass, and without him we would be deep in the brown stuff.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2011, 10:12:46 PM »
Gabby is a good instinctive finisher, works hard and looks like he cares.  On the downside he struggles when he has time to think, and his movement off the ball is very poor for a top class striker.  How often do you see him make a run along the defensive the line, building up speed and inviting the through ball? I can't think of many occasions, he's far too static.  Delfounso has way more intelligent movement than Gabby will ever have but I wonder if he wants it enough.

I've never really bought into the Ashley Young thing.  He has his games where he is devastating but for me they are all too rare.   His delivery is inconsistent at best and his decision making is appalling - passing when he should shoot, shooting when some one else is wide open, and more often than not opting to draw the foul (or dive) when there are much better options on.  He wastes so much good possession  it's infuriating.  Both Albrighton and Downing are better and more consistent crossers, and they can and do both go past defenders, rather than opting to fall over.  Young would be fantastic if someone could persuade him to try and stay on his feet and teach him when to cross, shoot or pass.

Somewhat peversely I do think we miss them when they are out because the opposition seem a bit scared of them, probably based more on reputation than substance, and because alternatives like Delfouneso and Albrighton are still raw and lacking experience.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2011, 10:27:18 PM »
I think you've all missed the point. When did they both play well at the same time? it was when we played the opposition on the break, plenty of room for them both to move around in and gabby to run on to the ball.
AY is a good player on the wing if he wasn't teams wouldn't bother to double up on him but i think at times he tries to make up for the deficiances of his teammates and runs into trouble. They both suffer for us not having a decent midfield, no creativity to feed them and they have to work overtime to track back. Gabby we might not miss Ash Young we certainly would he is still the best player Villa have got.

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2011, 10:36:40 PM »
i think Young has been given enough chances to show that he can play in a central role, it isnt working. So stop it.
We have 3 wingers and they should be competing for 2 positions. So why play Gabby there? Only one of them is comfortable on the Right Albrighton. Part of the reason we are in this mess is because GH seems incapable of setting the team up.

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2011, 10:43:36 PM »
look at it from the opositions point of view, if you have Young on the left who is capable of beating a man, Albrighton on the right that can do the same and Gabbys pace through the middle, you have some thing to fear.
as opposed to Downing on the right, Young through the middle and Gabby isolated out on the left, so now you have your attack playing out of position. I know which set up i would want to play.
This stuff is not fkin ricket science

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2011, 11:13:11 PM »
look at it from the opositions point of view, if you have Young on the left who is capable of beating a man, Albrighton on the right that can do the same and Gabbys pace through the middle, you have some thing to fear.
as opposed to Downing on the right, Young through the middle and Gabby isolated out on the left, so now you have your attack playing out of position. I know which set up i would want to play.

Spot on.

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2011, 12:07:57 AM »

Spot on.

In a nutshell!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal