collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Jacob Ramsey by London Villan
[Today at 06:35:55 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Rigadon
[Today at 06:26:28 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:15:07 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby and Ash.........Frauds?  (Read 13032 times)

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
Re: Gabby and Ash.........Frauds?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 04:23:38 PM »
everyday of the week ash is a more important player for us than gabby in my opinion, gabby has nothing to his game apart from pace, his footballing brain is very poor, no awareness of whats around him, if hes got time to think when heading in on goal you know more often than not hes gonna cock it up, even simple passing seems to be an issue for him, although that could be said for a few players at the moment! On the plus side he is villa through and through.

Ash for me works hard every game, always looks like he cares, and i wouldnt blame him if he was to move on, but i would want to see him sold, as for gabby i think he needs to move, life is too comfortable here for him, he will never provide the goals we need to move on unfortunately.

I've never read a post so wrong.

Its my opinion, and i can assure you i am not alone with it, but thanks for the reply

Well that's what a message board is for, opinions. I happen to think yours is wrong, very wrong.

Goals

2009/10 - 16
2008/09 - 12
2007/08 - 11
2006/07 - 10

Pretty good for someone with "just pace". Getting better and better it seems.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 04:30:38 PM »

Goals this year?.........when we need them?

He has everything, after watching Villa for the last 40 yrs, i've seen all the potentially great local players coming through...LMoore, SMoore, Vassell, and all the others........Gabby was the only one i thought could be top class.

I hope you are right olney, only i see things in Gabby this year that make me question that.

Offline Olneythelonely

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 04:35:21 PM »

Goals this year?.........when we need them?

He has everything, after watching Villa for the last 40 yrs, i've seen all the potentially great local players coming through...LMoore, SMoore, Vassell, and all the others........Gabby was the only one i thought could be top class.

I hope you are right olney, only i see things in Gabby this year that make me question that.

He's been injured for most of this season and played on the left wing for the last two games. If fit and given a run of games he'll score goals. He's proven it time and time again.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 04:59:31 PM »
Gabby will come good again.  He'll never be absolute top drawer though.  He has more to his game than just pace but it wouldn't be enough to keep him in our team if he lost a yard.  That extra split second his pace gives him definitely helps  him to pick some nice crosses and passes at times.  He's also instinctive in front of goal - ask him to think and he'll miss 4 out of 5 but first time on the turn and he'll often find the net.

Young is playing in the wrong position. Along with Albrighton he is still our most watchable player but I don't see him being played in the hole anywhere other than at VIlla.  Do you think Spurs would?  Man Utd?  No chance.  He's a really really good winger on his day and is being wasted in the middle. 

Offline Blackcountry Villa

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 05:02:03 PM »
They didn't fool me, i've always said Young is one of the most overrated players i've seen and Agbonlahor has the technical ability of a baby elephant and no football brain.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 05:03:24 PM »
Gabby and Ash frauds?  Not in my opinion.  Gabby plays his heart out and wants to succeed.  A bad injury has really held him back.  Poor game last night, but its more of a one of for him, and hes getting back to form.  Birmingham fear him which is worth something.  Ash... frustrating at times, but more because he wants to be involved in everything.  He wants to succeed.  Super player, and an attitude that wants to score and be on the winning side. 

Offline Olneythelonely

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 05:05:12 PM »
They didn't fool me, i've always said Young is one of the most overrated players i've seen and Agbonlahor has the technical ability of a baby elephant and no football brain.

Do you have ADHD?

Offline Fuse

• GM : 28.08.2015
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 05:07:11 PM »
Gabby is the last person we should be pointing fingers at. What's he supposed to do when being played on the left wing?

The title of this thread is also a blatant attempt at attention seeking.

I tell you what he is supposed to do, he is supposed to try, to put 100% effort into it rather than sulking because he isn't playing where he thinks he should. Irresepctive of whether he is right or wrong, the elast that we should expect of him is to put some effort in.

For a so-called Villa fan and home-grown player, he was a fucking disgrace last night as he sulked and didn;t give  a fuck. Only bothered his arse for the last 10 mins. He's hardly bothered his arse all season.

And I am one of his biggest fans but I won;t excuse players who because they disagree with the manager decide to sulk. Him adn half a dozen others were a disgrace last night.

Offline KrisHacking

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 05:09:03 PM »
Gabby has always been useless in my opinion. Being fast isnt enough.  Be good if he could run fast with the ball under control and provide some sort of end product instead of falling over his own feet anywhere near the 18 yard box...

As for Young very frustrating, and I would take 18-20 Million for him 2moro..

Offline Olneythelonely

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 05:09:23 PM »
He was poor last night, but it had nothing to do with a lack of effort, it was to do with him playing on the left wing and  him not having a clue how to play on the left wing.

Offline Olneythelonely

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »
Gabby has always been useless in my opinion. Being fast isnt enough.  Be good if he could run fast with the ball under control and provide some sort of end product instead of falling over his own feet anywhere near the 18 yard box...

As for Young very frustrating, and I would take 18-20 Million for him 2moro..

Goals

2009/10 - 16
2008/09 - 12
2007/08 - 11
2006/07 - 10

Pretty good for someone with "just pace". Getting better and better it seems.

Offline Blackcountry Villa

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 05:13:01 PM »
But for someone who was leading our line and playing pretty much every minute of every game those stats aren't all that, i'd expect a good midfielder to score that many per season.

Offline Fuse

• GM : 28.08.2015
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 05:15:46 PM »
He was poor last night, but it had nothing to do with a lack of effort, it was to do with him playing on the left wing and  him not having a clue how to play on the left wing.

Rubbish. I saw him play there a number of times under DOL and one thing he did was run. I will excuse most things but don't make excuses for the fact he didn;t put himself about. He made Bardsley look like Cafu!

Why did he play so much better at Stamford Bridge on SUnday where he was dangerous all game until injured yet couldn;t play the same position last night? DId he forget how to play in the 3 days between?

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »
As I thought they would both turn out to be decent, good Premier League players and they have, they are therefore not 'frauds' in my book. The problem as ever is that we, as seems to be fashion everywhere these days, start describing these players as 'awesome', 'amazing' and 'fantastic' after just a few games where they played well...

Offline jembob

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 05:25:10 PM »
Gabby will never be a prolific goalscorer and his finishing needs to improve hugely- as for ash , much better on the wing but we have had the best out of him 2 yrs ago- I would not begrudge him the move he seems to want!

Albrighton may turn out to be the best of the lot - hopefully!

Strange that Gabby has led our goalscoring charts for most of the seasons he's been in the first team, then

Agreed. I think he's lost his way this season through injury illness and poor management.

I couldn't understand what he was supposed to be doing last night against Sunderland and he clearly didn't either. In that formation against Chelsea he worked hard to help out the defence and did very well. Playing him as a left winger/midfielder is so clearly wrong and I feel that much of this criticism is misplaced. We all know that our most successful spells in recent years have come when we played 4-5-1 with Gabby up front and that's what he's good at.

The clear lack of confidence in the team is clear for all to see and Gabby's performance last night just shows what happens when players don't believe or understand in what they should be doing.

Ash on the other hand seems to think that it's his responsibility to make up for everybody else's shortcoming by running around like a fool. I admire his efforts but it must be massively frustrating for him and I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in this transfer window. Much as I like both of them, neither are the sorts of players to develop a team around while Albrighton seems a much better bet to be at the centre of our future plans.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal