collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Would relegation be that bad?  (Read 33761 times)

Offline TimTheVillain

Re: Would relegation be that bad?
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »
I don't think the "strong chairman" thing is true any more.  I think he's weak, and has effectively given up on turning us into a Premier League club that can challenge domestically and in Europe.  5 years on and we're in a worse position than when he arrived.  At least Doug went out having given it one last shot.

I think Houllier would be dealing with HR at the moment if Ellis was still in charge.

And yes, relegation would be that bad.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 02:12:06 PM »
It would be a disaster for us we would be miles away from the top 6 if we went down so no i don't even wan't to contemplate it, it doesn't bear thinking about let's get out of this mess and then start again in the premiership not the championship.

Offline Merv

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 02:12:25 PM »
I'm not concerned about dropping out of the glittering Premier League for a season or two but the financial implications could be disastrous. That would be my main concern. Could ruin us. But if we keep our heads, cut the fat from the squad, we could bounce back leaner and meaner.

You could kiss goodbye to this lot for starters though: Friedel, Cuellar, Dunne, Warnock, Ash Young, NRC, Downing, Luke Young, Petrov, Carew, Heskey.

I've got a funny feeling Gabby would stay.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »
Well I am concerned about relegation...all of our players would be off and Houllier would only attract French players and lower league nobodies, I fear we would struggle in that division also.
I remember signing players like David Hunt, that is the sort of crap we will be watching at VP next season !

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 02:40:39 PM »
It will be bad enough not getting a European place. Our "closest challengers" are even further ahead as it is.

Bollocks to Europe.  I don't want Rapid Vienna ruining another bank holiday weekend, thanks very much.

Who's to say that all these young players we're going to build our Championship-winning team around will want to stick around?  Would Albrighton, Clark and Bannan stay if other clubs came sniffing?

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 02:52:58 PM »
Yes, it would be bad

Yes, it would be interesting

Yes, it would have the potential to be an entertaining season

Let's hope that we never find out for sure

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 02:59:39 PM »
Does anyone know if there are "relegation clauses" in the players contracts or will we be like Newcastle and lumbered with players on £40k per week in the Championship?

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 03:05:23 PM »
No offence but you are taking the piss aren't you?

Offline levico

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 03:19:17 PM »
Given that the BBC are now reporting that GH's position is not threatened then relegation is a virtual certainty. Yes it would be very bad and yes it might take a long long time to get back up - remember what happened after 1967?

No, most of you don't do you - a lot of you don't really believe that this is going to happen do you?

Another reason why we are doomed - denial within the club, owner, management and fan base.

What more proof do you need? I'm sure of one thing - you're are going to see it. You think things have been bad so far - well f*cking watch this space!!

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 03:52:02 PM »
Given that the BBC are now reporting that GH's position is not threatened then relegation is a virtual certainty. Yes it would be very bad and yes it might take a long long time to get back up - remember what happened after 1967?

No, most of you don't do you - a lot of you don't really believe that this is going to happen do you?

Another reason why we are doomed - denial within the club, owner, management and fan base.

What more proof do you need? I'm sure of one thing - you're are going to see it. You think things have been bad so far - well f*cking watch this space!!

Villa were 4/1 to go down, so if its a 'virtual certainty as you say, you could make yourself a very rich man,

thats if you've got the balls ?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 04:01:02 PM »
I've put a few quid on.  Mainly out of the hope that I've never made a single penny out of betting on the Villa so hope that run continues.  We're definitely ill equipped for a relegation scrap though.  We've got an insipid, uninspiring fool of a manager, and a team who are used to wilting in the league after February.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 04:02:27 PM »
I know we've got a French manager (and Robert Pires and Robert Duverne), but I doubt even they are surrendering at this point in time.

Have you heard Houllier's post-match interviews? He gave up a long time ago. I'm surprised the Samaritans aren't campaigning to have him banned, I'm hard pressed to stop myself jumping off a bridge after listening to him for 45 seconds.
I can't stand listening to anything he says so I try to avoid his post-match interviews. I was attempting (probably too surrealistically) to temper Hookey's Great British defeatism.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 04:02:52 PM »
All this talk as if we're down already. With a half a season to go.
Get a fucking grip will you.

Offline peter w

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 04:06:09 PM »
All this talk as if we're down already. With a half a season to go.
Get a fucking grip will you.

Have you seen the league table recently?

Online Rico

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2011, 04:08:27 PM »
Anyone who thinks relagation would not be that bad wants their head looking at, and has obviously not been through it before! The Championshipis sh1t. You try to convince everyone that you're still a big club, but you know deep down that your not. Don't even contemplate it! We must do whatever it takes to avoid relagation!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal