collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby and Young: Why?  (Read 9009 times)

Offline koreanmeatballs

Re: Gabby and Young: Why?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 10:43:15 AM »
Was Geddy the manager who first started to put Heskey on the wings in his Liverpool days?

Offline eastie

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 10:43:52 AM »
Petrov has not been good enough for many years- we have problema all over the field and last night night was the lowest point in years - utterly shambolic!

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 10:45:29 AM »
Because of the performance against Chelsea, if GH changed things around last night & we lost, he'd equally be getting shit for doing so.

When things are going bad, you try something different. When things are going well, you try to make as few changes as possible: as the players did well against Chelsea, it seemed sensible to play a similar side against Sunderland -- trying to build on that performance. Had Heskey managed managed to convert one of his massive chances in the first half, the opinion of GH's tactical nous could have been completely different. Instead of dishing out abuse, posters would have been claiming that Gabby is really most effective on the wing.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 10:52:23 AM »
Still think having 2 out and out wingers is a folly, especially if the two men in the middle are not of a decent quality.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 10:53:35 AM »
Because of the performance against Chelsea, if GH changed things around last night & we lost, he'd equally be getting shit for doing so.

When things are going bad, you try something different. When things are going well, you try to make as few changes as possible: as the players did well against Chelsea, it seemed sensible to play a similar side against Sunderland -- trying to build on that performance. Had Heskey managed managed to convert one of his massive chances in the first half, the opinion of GH's tactical nous could have been completely different. Instead of dishing out abuse, posters would have been claiming that Gabby is really most effective on the wing.

No they wouldn't.  I don't remember him doing anything of note in attack.  Gabby had a shocker, not his fault as he was out of position and totally ineffective in the role he was given.  Even if we had won I would have said the same.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 10:56:38 AM »
I would prefer Ashley on the wing and Gabby up front it worked before so why don't GH put him there he causes chaos when he runs at people on the wing plus they double up on him which leaves space behind to be exploited and Gabby seems to play better with Ash out wide let's try it we have nothing to lose.

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 10:56:52 AM »

That is utter balls. Anyone with half a brain could see it wasnt working.

When we played Chelsea we needed to absorb a lot of pressure and Gabby was a good outlet with his pace. Against Sunderland he was completely lost and ineffective. Heskey scoring from a Zenden cock up wouldn't have changed anything.

Online mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 11:10:37 AM »
not only is playing gabby and young out of position a joke the whole setup is a shambles what a joke playing Bannan and Young as center backs!

I have a formation that will work for you Houllier - P-4-5!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:14:26 AM by mrfuse »

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 11:15:36 AM »
Heskey scoring from a Zenden cock up wouldn't have changed anything.

Losing at home to Sunderland is frustrating, but claiming that taking the lead "wouldn't have changed anything" is strange. Taking the lead would have increased the likelihood of winning the match, and if we had won, I think the perception of the match and of Houllier's tactics would have been different.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 12:43:06 PM »
Still think having 2 out and out wingers is a folly, especially if the two men in the middle are not of a decent quality.

Spot on

Offline sfx412

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 12:46:35 PM »
Why? Because GH is a rubbish manager.

Yet the same team and tactics nearly won us the game at Chelsea, who was managing then, Mon.

Oh no I forgot last time he managed a Villa side at Chelsea they lost 7-1.

Houllier didn't get it right as we lost, as we have too often already, but the same set of players did both games.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 12:50:34 PM »
Heskey scoring from a Zenden cock up wouldn't have changed anything.

Losing at home to Sunderland is frustrating, but claiming that taking the lead "wouldn't have changed anything" is strange. Taking the lead would have increased the likelihood of winning the match, and if we had won, I think the perception of the match and of Houllier's tactics would have been different.

If my Auntie had bollocks ashe would have been my Uncle.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 12:55:57 PM »
I am really torn on the world of how much more time to give Houllier but he had better stop this stupid experiment quickly.

In fact, can we stop with the whole business of Young playing off a striker.

We don't score enough and a Young/Heskey combo up front is never going to remedy that.

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 12:56:10 PM »
I have a theory....

Imagine you are an foreign,under-fire manager.

One of your top paid players is stalling on a new contract-decreasing his value and adding to the pressure of your job.
He wants to play inside-behind the Striker,as he is sick of having his ankles kicked by full backs and wants to fulfil his dreams of being a scoring creative midfielder -not just a wonder winger...

if you indulge him he may want to re-sign for your club,thus securing a vital asset and also strengthening your position

The striker you have to shunt to the sidelines(literally) is a commited local lad who hasn't scored this season,but is fast and is contractually sewn up and unlikely to moan too loud to the media

thoughts gentlemen?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 02:05:39 PM »
After yet another manager makes a baffling team selection, I'm more convinced than ever they do it deliberately just to make them look like some kind of tactical oracle.

Houllier used to be a trophy winning manager and he produced those tactics last night?!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal