collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 08:49:35 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:47:56 AM]

Re: Fog stopped play by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:47:50 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rigadon
[Today at 08:45:22 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 08:41:55 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[Today at 08:41:45 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:40:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: If it does happen, we will be the best team it has ever happened to?  (Read 6663 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: If it does happen, we will be the best team it has ever happened to?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 10:28:38 AM »
I can't think of many "big" teams who have seen a nosedive in fortunes as bad as ours.  There have been teams like Ipswich that came up and punched above their weights for a while, before heading back down from whence they came, and of course the likes of Leeds with their finance induced chaos, but not many in a similar situation to us.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 10:31:02 AM »
Our keeper is past it- our defence concede goals galore , the midfield create fuck all and the strikers don't score goals- best team to go down, -NO!

You didnt mention what you thought of the manager there.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 10:31:20 AM »
Our keeper is past it- our defence concede goals galore , the midfield create fuck all and the strikers don't score goals- best team to go down, -NO!

Apart from that, it's like watching Brazil !!

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 10:40:30 AM »
I dont think relegation would be a disaster. But that's because I dont buy into all this hype about the Premiership being the land of milk and honey. In fact, I despise everything the 'EPL' stands for.

What I do love is watching my team play exciting, attacking football and winning games. I'd take a season winning the Championship and breaking goal-scoring records over a drab season of lower to mid table boredom any year.

The fact is, we are never going to win the premier league unless the money dries up and Sky piss off and kill a different sport. We're just making up the numbers and it is getting very very tedious.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »
When we do go down, there's no automatic rule saying we will win every week and play fantastic attacking football

It may not be like last time under Sir Graham, it could get a lot lot worse

Offline villa for life

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 10:52:06 AM »
1)if we did go down, do you think Houllier would voluntarily resign?

2) Would Ash really see out his contract and stay for his last season??!! It'd be interesting to see him in the championship - I can't imagine it! Maybe we could do some deal whereby he had to sign a year or two contract extension for us to then let him go, thereby enabling us to get a higher transfer fee or force him to stay for the season. I wonder if he could handle it or would he give in and eventually sign on!!

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 11:08:15 AM »
I dont know about Ashley's personal motivations, but history tells us that the best players ALWAYS leave when a club gets relegated. I wouldnt expect Gabby to hang around either.

And there'd be lots of others on high wages who would have to be shifted just to balance the books.

Its something every fan has to go witness at some point. My grandad (God rest his soul) followed Villa for 70 years and the one era he always talked most fondly of was the 60s/70s when we were really struggling. He probably hated it at the time, but wisdom and hindsight showed him that it was just part of the cycle of football. He got to travel to new grounds and see a different side of the game.

The basic pleasures were still the same. Watching us win, seeing us score goals, getting excited about a promising youngster coming through. Its still the same game, just against different opposition, in different surroundings.

What it certainly isnt is a disaster.

Offline eastie

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 11:22:15 AM »
Must admit I have some really good memories of our promotion in 88 - those minutes waiting gor the result after Swindon game- and who s ores the goal for Leicester at boro that saw us promoted? It was Gary macallister!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal