collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The dreadful irony  (Read 11296 times)

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
Re: The dreadful irony
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 12:56:23 PM »
and you all know this
I thought it was quite common knowledge that Randy told MON he had as much money as he wanted to spend aslong as he got wages down. MON couldn't shift some of the high paid dross we had so couldn't buy
I thought MON going was more to do with Milner being sold against his desire, being told that he couldn't have any of the money and the only player he'd be getting in would be Ireland because that was Citeh's terms.

If Sidwell does end up going to Wet Spam this week, it'll be interesting to see how much the deal is worth, because I suspect it's an amount we could and would have got under MON in the summer.

Luke Young's cancelled move to Liverpool always struck me as strange. Couldn't see any reason for him wanting to stay unless he had an inkling of MON's imminent departure.

There was money available in the summer, the Milner deal was in place when MON was still here and he was happy with it, he wanted Ireland as part of the deal but got in an almighty huff after we wouldn't sanction an over inflated bid for McGeady on preposterous wages.

And Keane.

And you all know this how exactly? Because someone else wrote it on a fans forum? People should really stop pretending they know all about the goings on at Villa this preseason because noone actually has a clue on here.

Offline cdward

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 02:00:58 PM »
All we need is for MON to get a job somewhere (Liverpool), then he will swoop in for Carew, Sidwell, Petrov, et al, and take them all off our hands.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 05:04:47 PM »
and you all know this
I thought it was quite common knowledge that Randy told MON he had as much money as he wanted to spend aslong as he got wages down. MON couldn't shift some of the high paid dross we had so couldn't buy
I thought MON going was more to do with Milner being sold against his desire, being told that he couldn't have any of the money and the only player he'd be getting in would be Ireland because that was Citeh's terms.

If Sidwell does end up going to Wet Spam this week, it'll be interesting to see how much the deal is worth, because I suspect it's an amount we could and would have got under MON in the summer.

Luke Young's cancelled move to Liverpool always struck me as strange. Couldn't see any reason for him wanting to stay unless he had an inkling of MON's imminent departure.

There was money available in the summer, the Milner deal was in place when MON was still here and he was happy with it, he wanted Ireland as part of the deal but got in an almighty huff after we wouldn't sanction an over inflated bid for McGeady on preposterous wages.

And Keane.

And you all know this how exactly? Because someone else wrote it on a fans forum? People should really stop pretending they know all about the goings on at Villa this preseason because noone actually has a clue on here.

I know it because I happen to know it. And don't jump to a presumption that simply because you don't know what happened this summer that nobody else has a clue.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »
To be blaming MON now is a little naive, we had 4 very solid years under his tenure & came close to glory with an exciting team
Yes, he left the club in a bit of a mess (as he did Celtic) but, in this day and age, what options did he have
He kept the youth set up and foundations of the club in a tremendous place
We need to now, get a younger, more energetic manager and coaching team, with solid ideas on how we move the club forward
I've no idea what Houllier is about or the rationale behind his appointmemt, what is his ethos on the game ?, what personal motivation he has at this stage in his life, certainly having lunch at the canteen each day at Bodymoor with his wife doesnt' fit with my thoughts on a a manageer keen for success and progress.

Offline Gaztonniller

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 10:01:17 PM »
To be blaming MON now is a little naive, we had 4 very solid years under his tenure & came close to glory with an exciting team
Yes, he left the club in a bit of a mess (as he did Celtic) but, in this day and age, what options did he have
We need to now, get a younger, more energetic manager and coaching team, with solid ideas on how we move the club forward
I've no idea what Houllier is about or the rationale behind his appointmemt, what is his ethos on the game ?, what personal motivation he has at this stage in his life, certainly having lunch at the canteen each day at Bodymoor with his wife doesnt' fit with my thoughts on a a manageer keen for success and progress

-------------------------------------------

Yr then left with two options. Either you trust the current manager financially in this Jan transfer window to try and get the quality needed and see how things go for the remainder of the season. And from reading yr response, (i maybe be wrong) but it sounds as if you would also have misgivings about giving sufficient funds to him based on yr thoughts about the manager. Or if You did get in another "younger"  manager and hope he is able to improve what happening on the pitch with the current squad of players but with this option, its unlikely he'd have time to suss out the players needed (if any) to bolster/improve the squad for the remainder of the season. If there's a third option, i cant see it unless you have MON back but thats another debate on another thread.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 10:06:59 PM »
and you all know this

And Keane.

I know it because I happen to know it. And don't jump to a presumption that simply because you don't know what happened this summer that nobody else has a clue.

So you know exactly why MON left and who is transfer targets were. Yeah right. I remember all the ITKs saying that MON was definitely going to buy Upson, Bentley, Bent, etc the summer before just as some have convinced themselves that they 'know' he was going to sign Keane and McGready this year. Don't kid yourself

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 01:15:46 AM »
So you know exactly why MON left and who is transfer targets were. Yeah right. I remember all the ITKs saying that MON was definitely going to buy Upson, Bentley, Bent, etc the summer before just as some have convinced themselves that they 'know' he was going to sign Keane and McGready this year. Don't kid yourself

Just because we don't sign a player doesn't mean we weren't in for them. We don't operate in a vacuum.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 06:21:19 AM »
Five months on and I'm still waiting to find out exactly why MON left.

Many on here appear to know, and in addition are convinced that he timed his departure to cause maximum damage to our club.

I think I know why he left, but thats based on suposition, nothing more.

If someone could enlighten me I would be most grateful.

Offline Gaztonniller

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 07:48:47 AM »
I've no idea what Houllier is about or the rationale behind his appointmemt, what is his ethos on the game ?, what personal motivation he has at this stage in his life, certainly having lunch at the canteen each day at Bodymoor with his wife doesnt' fit with my thoughts on a a manageer keen for success and progress

-------------------------------------------

Yr then left with two options. Either you trust the current manager financially in this Jan transfer window to try and get the quality needed and see how things go for the remainder of the season. And from reading yr response, (i maybe be wrong) but it sounds as if you would also have misgivings about giving sufficient funds to him based on yr thoughts about the manager. Or if You did get in another "younger"  manager and hope he is able to improve what happening on the pitch with the current squad of players but with this option, its unlikely he'd have time to suss out the players needed (if any) to bolster/improve the squad for the remainder of the season. If there's a third option, i cant see it unless you have MON back but thats another debate on another thread.

Oops!!  :-[, third option, you stick with the manager, give him little or no money this transfer window, and pray for an upturn in form and results with the remaining current squad.

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 09:28:01 AM »

I just love the incontrovertible logic in this statement.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 09:40:44 AM »

He's cleverer than many give him credit for and knowing that the writing was on the wall for him he took a whole summers pay for being on holiday and got out just in the nick of time to keep his cv impressive for one more job at the top.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »
The Keane and McGeady story is true, I was informed of it by a journaalist who is very close to the club, a journalist who I used to work with.
Couldn't give two hoots if you believe it or not, although i'd suggest that you're dismissing it on the basis of it making your God look rather tainted.

Bottom line is that he walked over the clubs refusal to let us be crippled by a wage bill that was already on 85% of the turnover.
He got a reputation at Celtic for threatening to walk when not given the funds he wanted, interviews with Archie McPherson who wrote 'Flower of Scotland' bear this out, if you need evidence.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:44:34 AM by Rip van Fletcher »

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 10:39:34 AM »

He's cleverer than many give him credit for and knowing that the writing was on the wall for him he took a whole summers pay for being on holiday and got out just in the nick of time to keep his cv impressive for one more job at the top.

Thats just supposition once again.

Offline MalcolmP

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 12:27:03 PM »
The Keane and McGeady story is true, I was informed of it by a journaalist who is very close to the club, a journalist who I used to work with.
Couldn't give two hoots if you believe it or not, although i'd suggest that you're dismissing it on the basis of it making your God look rather tainted.

Bottom line is that he walked over the clubs refusal to let us be crippled by a wage bill that was already on 85% of the turnover.
He got a reputation at Celtic for threatening to walk when not given the funds he wanted, interviews with Archie McPherson who wrote 'Flower of Scotland' bear this out, if you need evidence.

So we should all believe what journalists say?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 12:30:17 PM by MalcolmP »

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 12:31:49 PM »

I know he's a ****** Mark, I'm not disputing that, but isn't it kind of the managers job to push the chairmen into spending money on the team? Isn't that what we as fans hope they would do?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal