collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[April 26, 2024, 10:36:44 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 26, 2024, 11:05:00 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The dreadful irony  (Read 11313 times)

Offline Gaztonniller

The dreadful irony
« on: January 05, 2011, 10:40:08 PM »
If R.L didnt want to spend the cash last summer, and if he didnt want to give MON the monies required to maintain the clubs challenge at the top end of the league, then he may have to spend it now.
With the club now slipping into the drop zone, the dreadful irony of the situation is even if sizeable financial backing is now given,  G.H may find it even harder to attract the quality players needed, or may have to pay even more over the odds to get such players in to lift the club up out of it present plight.

The way things are looking at the mo, it maybe a case of hoping that there are three even worse teams in the prem that go down this season for R.L to hopefully learn a not too very expensive, costly lesson.

Offline Cuz

Re: The dreadful irony
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:42:54 PM »
If R.L didnt want to spend the cash last summer, and if he didnt want to give MON the monies required to maintain the clubs challenge at the top end of the league, then he may have to spend it now.
With the club now slipping into the drop zone, the dreadful irony of the situation is even if sizeable financial backing is now given,  G.H may find it even harder to attract the quality players needed, or may have to pay even more over the odds to get such players in to lift the club up out of it present plight.

The way things are looking at the mo, it maybe a case of hoping that there are three even worse teams in the prem that go down this season for R.L to hopefully learn a not too very expensive, costly lesson.

I'm now even more depressed, we need a new manager to give us some of the bounce and will to win back
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:44:39 PM by Risso »

Offline Arsey

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:43:05 PM »
or more worringly what if he decides not to invest anymore money and we go down.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 10:43:33 PM »
Less than 33K for a home match as well.  Bottom three, and a stadium only three quarters full.  Randy will be struggling to recoup his outlay at this rate.

Offline FiveKenMcNaughts

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 10:50:17 PM »
I thought it was quite common knowledge that Randy told MON he had as much money as he wanted to spend aslong as he got wages down. MON couldn't shift some of the high paid dross we had so couldn't buy

Randy is trying to secure the future of this club so if anything happens to him we aren't stuck paying more on wages than we bring into the club, as he has continually said he will back managers with transfer funds (from his own pocket) but wages need to come down if only for the future of the club

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 11:07:17 PM »
I thought it was quite common knowledge that Randy told MON he had as much money as he wanted to spend aslong as he got wages down. MON couldn't shift some of the high paid dross we had so couldn't buy
I thought MON going was more to do with Milner being sold against his desire, being told that he couldn't have any of the money and the only player he'd be getting in would be Ireland because that was Citeh's terms.

If Sidwell does end up going to Wet Spam this week, it'll be interesting to see how much the deal is worth, because I suspect it's an amount we could and would have got under MON in the summer.

Luke Young's cancelled move to Liverpool always struck me as strange. Couldn't see any reason for him wanting to stay unless he had an inkling of MON's imminent departure.

Offline FiveKenMcNaughts

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 11:13:06 PM »
I thought MON going was more to do with Milner being sold against his desire, being told that he couldn't have any of the money and the only player he'd be getting in would be Ireland because that was Citeh's terms.

If Sidwell does end up going to Wet Spam this week, it'll be interesting to see how much the deal is worth, because I suspect it's an amount we could and would have got under MON in the summer.

Luke Young's cancelled move to Liverpool always struck me as strange. Couldn't see any reason for him wanting to stay unless he had an inkling of MON's imminent departure.

I think is on very very generous wages at Villa, and I think Liverpool wanted him to make a huge pay cut, he is 31 and going to Liverpool would have been as back up to Glen Johnson,  he wasn't getting in at Villa but he wouldn't have done at liverpool either. I woud like to think if anyone knew MON was on his way someone would have done something about it long before the new season

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 11:15:10 PM »
Ditto NRC.

Was offered a move to Blackburn around the weekend of the Valencia game and turned it down as he said he felt something might happen.

If I was cynical I'd say it was two players who he'd ostracised making it as difficult as possible for him. They (like us) knew that any new business depended on players departing to bring down the wage bill.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 11:35:25 PM »
Ditto NRC.

Was offered a move to Blackburn around the weekend of the Valencia game and turned it down as he said he felt something might happen.

I recall going to that game and coming away utterly depressed for no apparent reason. The whole vibe around the club seemed like a wake. It hasn't improved I'm sorry to say.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 06:07:10 AM »
The club has painted itself into a corner over the last six months and only have themselves to blame.

For an unconfirmed reason (despite opinion on here), the manager who had achieved relative success, in terms of stability at least, saw fit to resign. The appointment of his replacement, who had to be asked twice to take the job, was an utter mess. His reign has reflected that and we find ourselves in the bottom three with little sign of any improvement.

Offline adam#1

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 07:19:59 AM »
The biggest irony is that this season is the end of the so called 5 year plan, and we're about to get relegated. Couldn't go more tits up really, and there can only be one person to blame for that failure - RAL.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 08:03:24 AM »
The heartbreaking thing is imagining what we could do with the money we had 5 years ago if we'd just appointed someone good in the transfer market.

Offline mal

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 11:41:21 AM »
If only NRC had gone to Blackburn.  Why has he got the armband? The only surprise with him is why MON bought him in the first place, not why he never gets a game. He's the worst player since Leonhardsen at VP.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 12:27:38 PM »

There was money available in the summer, the Milner deal was in place when MON was still here and he was happy with it, he wanted Ireland as part of the deal but got in an almighty huff after we wouldn't sanction an over inflated bid for McGeady on preposterous wages.

Luke Young knocked back Liverpool as he is on a good wage with us and doesn't want to uproot his family. Sidwell was going to Fulham until Woy left and Hughes blocked the move when he got the job.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 12:47:33 PM »

There was money available in the summer, the Milner deal was in place when MON was still here and he was happy with it, he wanted Ireland as part of the deal but got in an almighty huff after we wouldn't sanction an over inflated bid for McGeady on preposterous wages.

And Keane.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal