collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa I hope... Dear Randy, The General, and Mr Scudamore.  (Read 4595 times)

Offline DeKuip

0% Villa I hope... Dear Randy, The General, and Mr Scudamore.
« on: January 05, 2011, 02:33:03 PM »
On the off chance you're having a quiet day and are keeping tabs on some supporter opinion may I wish a happy new year to you all.

I'm sure as fellow football lovers you are all as equally disgusted as I am by today's announcement from the egg chasers that the Wasps will play their London derby with Harlequins at the end of the month in Abu Dhabi – a place I don't recall ever seeing on a London Underground map.

http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/wasps32064.ink

I just thought I'd give advance notice that should anyone involved in running our club, or our game, ever become party to something similar in proper football it would signal end of my lifelong love affair with Aston Villa and the English game. Furthermore I'd expect an instant refund on all unused games on my season ticket, Sky could come have their box of tricks back, and b&q might see more of me.

I realise the loss of my support alone may not hurt the Villa too much, and the people at Sky and Brand Premier League probably won't lose too much sleep over losing me either.

But just maybe I'm not the only one who would say enough is enough.

Anyone else feel the same?

PS
Whoever it was at Wasps who came up this insulting statement (below) deserves to be sacked. In think the very least that club should do is send someone round to each and every season ticket ticket holder in person to apologise and hand them their cash back.

"Season Ticket Holders who do not travel can apply for a refund for this game. A pro-rated refund can be claimed against the renewal of your 2011/12 Season Ticket or a cheque will be sent to the registered owner at the end of the season. Should you not wish to use this credit against the renewal of your 2011/12 Season Ticket please send your Season Ticket card along, a stamped addressed envelope and a covering letter whom you would like the cheque to be payable, to London Wasps Ticket Office, Adams Park, Hillbottom Road, High Wycombe, Bucks, HP12 4HJ before Friday 27th May. For further details contact the ticket office on 0844 225 2990."

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
Re: 0% Villa I hope... Dear Randy, The General, and Mr Scudamore.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 03:05:35 PM »
I like to think it wouldn't happen but if it did, it would probably be the final nail in most peoples football loving coffin.

I dont think I could take football seriously again if it happened.

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 03:12:41 PM »
An utter disgrace, but not without proponents in football. Step forward Man City chief executive Garry Cook, among other dickheads without a clue about football.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »
Lets face it if they keep pushing it enough it will come - i would expect the money mercenaries at Man U / Chelski / City will drop their drawers the first chance they get for some middle eastern wonga and lets face it they will not give a shit about the good of the game  -  only fuelling their own needs

Tis the begining of the end i tells ya

Offline Archie

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 03:53:39 PM »
I wouldn't mind Villa to play in my homecity in Italy, but i realize that for you that solution could appear a bit unconfortable. . . :-)

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »
They'd lose my support that's for sure.

Online The Man With A Stick

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 04:14:54 PM »
Step forward Man City chief executive Garry Cook, among other dickheads without a clue about football.

You can't say that, he's a Blueno... ah.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »
On the off chance you're having a quiet day and are keeping tabs on some supporter opinion may I wish a happy new year to you all.

I'm sure as fellow football lovers you are all as equally disgusted as I am by today's announcement from the egg chasers that the Wasps will play their London derby with Harlequins at the end of the month in Abu Dhabi – a place I don't recall ever seeing on a London Underground map.

Why is this called a "London Derby" when Wasps play their home games in High Wycombe ?

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 04:45:32 PM »
Why is this called a "London Derby" when Wasps play their home games in High Wycombe ?
Point taken, but they are called London Wasps and the club does come from North London... and my mate who's a fan and emailed the link called it a derby, but then he's old enough to remember when the played round the corner from him!
Maybe they'll soon change their name to Abu Dhabi Wycombe Wasps of London to embrace all their roots.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 04:50:05 PM »
I would be opposed to it as would many others.

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 04:55:32 PM »
I think it would probably mean the end for me. It's so bloody insulting, especially that bit from the idiot who wrote the refund saga.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 06:33:26 PM »
I don't want it to happen and if push came to shove and it happened, it'd be goodbye for me too. It'd be the hardest thing in the world though, Villa's in the blood. Even the temptation to look at weekend scores in the paper might be too much for me.

Surely the threat of everyone against it starting again and rewriting the rules to make sure it never happens would be enough to make them listen though.

If things ever got that out of hand, could you ever give up on Villa and start the club again?

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 07:12:03 PM »
I would never give up on the Villa but it would push me further away from premier league football, it would also have an impact on how the club and league is seen and valued in the global market.

I wonder what the Wasps and Harlequins fans are saying, the last sentence would make my piss boil if it were my team. I guess they have seen it as a potential jolly for all the rich fans from the london rugby clubs???

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 07:53:42 PM »
You need to see this in context. Wasps are like most London clubs, small fans base, don't own their own ground, nomadic existance and supported by people who see it as a "jolly day out watching rugger" ie the middle classes from the affluent home counties. They aren't passionate about the game nor do they care much if their side wins, its as much a day out for them like going to the theatre. They do have go marketing departments and are able to stage wembley double headers etc but deep down they don't care. Therefore the club can get away with moving the fixture and either the rich fans can have a day trip or they misss a game and go and shoot grouse instead.

If you want real dyed in the wool fans you need to go to rugby towns like Gloucester, Northampton or Bath. Be shocked if they move these games around as marketing gimmicks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal