collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby  (Read 6320 times)

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
Gabby
« on: January 05, 2011, 12:55:37 AM »
Where do we see him under Ged?

It would seem Houllier's preferred formation is 4-2-3-1.

Some of Gabby's best football under MON came when he was utilised as a loan front man in the 4-5-1, and was used as the outlet for our counter attacking.

Since then he's put lot of muscle on and has arguably reinventined himself as more of a Heskey type. But Ged has said previously he intends to sign a forward...

At Chelsea he played on the left, and did pretty well there. He's got a decent left foot on him and using his pace to get inbetween the full-back and centre half to create space for others might suit him...

So is that where we see him? Battling with Downing and Albrighton long term for one of the wide positions or is it as the front man?

Either way, and unfortunately in my opinion 'cos I love the little fucker, it would seem his days as a guarenteed first choice might be nearing the end.

Offline Greg N'Ash

Re: Gabby
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 01:07:56 AM »
he's not a striker as in yer tap in from 1yard mode or a forward as carew when he can be arsed. Doesn't work with Heskey who's similarly somewhere between a forward and a striker. i'd like to see  him paired with a pure striker or a pure forward. Don't like the bulky Gabby and hope he heeds houllier's advice. Pace is more important than being able to go toe to toe with a defender - he hasn't got the body strength of a drogba or rooney- you're either born with it or not. like you i love him and hopefully GH will play 2 up front when he gets the striker he wants

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 01:14:50 AM »
I think he is better with a bit of muscle. He still has plenty of pace but is a lot more difficult to push off the ball. I think he is ok on his own but prefer two up front.

Hopefully we will get another forward who can play with Gabby but also rotate with him allowing us to rest him and not burn him out. He does seem to pick up quite a few knocks, and tires in the second half of the season. I would hope rotating him more would make him more effective for a full season and less injury-prone too.

I don't particularly think he is suited to playing with Delfouneso though unless one or both of their games radically changes.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:15:42 AM »
The first thing GHou did was to make sure he was offered a new long-term deal. He will be an important player as long as Houllier is here.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 02:58:13 AM »
One of few i would be very sad to see leave.  He does still have a place, and although he is not a 'conventional goalscorer' he can chip in with a few and causes defenders a nightmare, particularly the sky 4 as his record shows.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 04:14:04 AM »
While he did alright against Chelsea, I really dont believe he has the guile to play out wide. Thought he was excellent at times last season up front by himself and believe that is his best position.

Offline boboonthecorner

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 08:07:34 AM »
Although he does play well as a lone forward, I thought he looked good when MON first started playing him as part of a front 3. I thought he had a similar position against Chelsea and certainly caused them a fair few problems. If we're injury free I'd keep the same team tonight and hope that Petrov has gained a little more sharpness as he gets caught in possession far to often for my liking.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 10:07:40 AM »
I think he plays better in a front two pairing so when GH get's the striker we need then he will have to used as he is until then.

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 10:36:35 AM »
While he did alright against Chelsea, I really dont believe he has the guile to play out wide. Thought he was excellent at times last season up front by himself and believe that is his best position.

Yeah exactly he did do well against Chelsea but he doesn't have the technical ability to be an out and out winger.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 10:44:25 AM »
Gabby as a lone striker worked under MON as we were primarily playing on the break and his suited this and also stretched defences.  Under Gezza it's more a 4-2-3-1, with a more patient build up, so the technical skills of the striker become more important to get those in the 3 into the game in the final third.  Although it's the same basic position, there are differing qualities needed in each system.

I like Gabby, but he's not the most gifted technically and as such is less suited to this type of lone frontman role than Heskey, who at least has the experience of playing that way and bringing others into the game. 

He'll undoubtedly stay, but unless we switch to 4-4-2 I think his days as an automatic first choice are over.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »
Gabby IMO is turning into the Heskey of old.

He spends a lot of time playing deep, playing with his back to goal & bringing in wide players.

His movement is poor for a player with good pace.

He should be playing on the shoulders of defenders, running at them or running across defenders. He never seems to do that anymore.

I worry his finishing when one on one isn't good enough.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 11:09:16 AM »
Well the best we have played this season was against Man U, Gabby was the talisman in that performance and in my opinion it was him going off that let Man U back in the game, but he was knackered.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 11:15:21 AM »
He's our most important player. Probably our best too.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 11:19:20 AM »
Well the best we have played this season was against Man U, Gabby was the talisman in that performance and in my opinion it was him going off that let Man U back in the game, but he was knackered.

I agree, he made Vidic look an average player in that game. Not many players do that.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
I hope he listens to Houllier and he lightens up. His strength is brilliant to have but his raw pace is what scared defenders and made them fear him. I think he's got a lot more to show for the Villa

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal