collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0.1% Villa: Randy Sacks Coach  (Read 15424 times)

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
Re: 0.1% Villa: Randy Sacks Coach
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »
I understand it perfectly well, I even used to follow it when it first made an impression over here.  But, three hours or the best part off to complete a game, half time entertainment consisting of something akin to an Olympic opening ceremony.....load of bollocks.

99% of half times are as plain as those at any of Villa's games.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2011, 01:31:20 PM »
I've been a Green Bay Packers fan since 1983. I love American football. It's also a blast to play.
I understand why people dont like it. It's not very free flowing and open but its very tactical and if you can accept it for what it is, very enjoyable.
Who d'ya play for Maz? I was nose tackle & center for the Tamworth Trojans 1987 - 91

Christ, I might have played you!
Birmingham Bulls, Sutton Coldfield Royals (very briefly) and Birmingham University Lions (early days).
I was a running back (half back) mostly but also an occasional quarterback when required and an outside linebacker on defence.

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2011, 01:54:07 PM »
I've been a Green Bay Packers fan since 1983. I love American football. It's also a blast to play.
I understand why people dont like it. It's not very free flowing and open but its very tactical and if you can accept it for what it is, very enjoyable.
Who d'ya play for Maz? I was nose tackle & center for the Tamworth Trojans 1987 - 91

Christ, I might have played you!
Birmingham Bulls, Sutton Coldfield Royals (very briefly) and Birmingham University Lions (early days).
I was a running back (half back) mostly but also an occasional quarterback when required and an outside linebacker on defence.
lol if you played RB for the Royals then there is every chance we have bumped heads in the past. When it all went tits-up at Tamworth in 1990 most of our players went to the Royals.  Shame that the coaching staff there couldn't hande a sudden influx of players all better than their current playing staff though. It wasn't pretty.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2011, 03:04:53 PM »
I never had the available time that I wanted to play. It was just a case of getting a game whenever I was available and the better the teams got, the harder that became and the harder it was to get in. But I was a decent RB and that helped.

I had a decent run for the Bulls in the early 90s but that was it really.
The Royals was one or two games and a few training sessions and the Lions came about because I was working at the Uni and got involved in helping set the team up properly. Not a coach as such but a senior player who helped out occasionally. Playing against spindly clueless students was a bit too easy.
It lasted a season at best. Good to see them so strong now though. They have big crowds too.

Offline ExclDawg

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2011, 06:37:04 PM »
As a fair weather NFL fan,why are the Browns consistantly terrible? Poor management appointments? Should we be worried over here?

Wish I knew ... but they've only been consistantly terrible since they returned as an "expanision franchise", after the original team was taken.  Part of it, was the way they were set up.  They were hastily put together, threw out a make-shift front office, and sort of got a raw deal when it came to draft picks and expansion picks.  They had maybe a few months to scrap together a scouting department, and after they assembled the original expansion team (1999) ... they were behind the eight-ball from the get-go.

After that, it's sort of been a comedy of errors.  Much of it has to do with fan patience, bad football advice, and zero continuity.  I think Randy took a lot of advice from former players, such as Jim Brown, and it hasn't been the best move.  As far as playing ... Jim Brown is a legend, but that doesn't mean he knows how to run a franchise or pick front office staff.  Then the fans are constantly clamouring for changes.  They seem to call for a new quarterback or head coach every other year, so there's a constant turn-over, and nobody ever gets settled.

Part of it is Randy's fault a bit ... he's fired some iffy head-coaches/front office guys, and replaced them with people that are completely the opposite.  Which means, a complete roster turn-over and new philosophy installed.  By the time the new system takes root, fans are calling for a whole new head-coach again.  Outside of that, Randy hasn't really done anything wrong.  He's hired people who he thought (or was advised) would get the job done, signed the cheques, and got out of the way.  He hasn't really meddled with anything, and hasn't been a cheapskate in the least.

Offline ExclDawg

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2011, 06:41:22 PM »

It's quite funny actually ... American's don't like "soccer" because it's low scoring and "boring".  Europeans don't like "american football" because it's not free-flowing and "boring". =D

I think it's an aquired taste for both.  People just tend to like what they've grown up with.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
The Browns are nothing like us... they're an awful American Football team and they're just a failure; not to mention this is the SECOND Cleveland Browns franchise.

The mistake on the lake, that's the city of Cleveland - they'll always suck at sports. The Browns choked against Denver twice in AFC Championship games then their owner took away their team and relocated to Baltimore (although they act like they were never relocated lol). The Cleveland Cavaliers lost the best basketball player in the world in the Summer as he joined the glamourous Miami Heat and the Cleveland Indians, well they're just useless too losing a World Series when they should of won.

I'm slightly surprised the Browns ended up with a 5-11 record (same record as last season lol) because their record really doesn't suggest how well they've actually played. They beat the Patriots and Saints... they just lost their heads towards the end of the season losing a few games. They should of really ended up at 7-9... they're not as bad as their record suggests, they brought in a really good quarter-back and made some good trades.

they're a lot like us. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Randy saw a little bit of the Browns in us when he was looking to buy a PL team. Football didn't start in 1992 with the PL. Neither did American football start with the NFL. Look back at Browns history pre-NFL and you'll find they were very successful. They've been poor of late, but then we've not really been shining light in English football for a while either.
We are absoloutely NOTHING like the Cleveland Browns... we're nowhere near as bad as them, if we were an NFL team we'd have gone either 10-6 or 11-5 in the last 3 seasons and we'd have atleast 1 Superbowl. The Cleveland Browns have never won a Superbowl, have only ever made the playoffs once and have only had 2 winning seasons in 11 years (note I'm talking about the 'new' Browns franchise... the old one plays in Baltimore now so there previous records count diddly squat despite how the Browns like to portray as if the Browns never got taken away then were given a new franchise).

Taking all things into account and looking at it broadly, we're more like the Chicago Bears, Denver Broncos or Miami Dolphins.

Once again, you're looking at things as if the Browns have always been as bad as they are today. That's like saying an American looking at the PL and dismissing any club outside of that division as being irrelevant. Or ignoring Villa and Everton as being crap because of our record of winning major honours in recent years. The Browns have been awful since they were reinvented and brought back, but their original team went to Baltimore and won a Championship. Additionally, as I said before, pre-NFL they were succesful. Almost all of our honours pre-date the PL, so are you saying those honours don't count?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2011, 07:54:21 PM »
I think NFL is like cricket in that people are quick to dismiss it as dull, long-winded and stop-start if they haven't given it a fair chance. Too many people watch ten minutes and dismiss it.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2011, 08:00:51 PM »
I think NFL is like cricket in that people are quick to dismiss it as dull, long-winded and stop-start if they haven't given it a fair chance. Too many people watch ten minutes and dismiss it.

American Football is cool, definately the best American invented sport.
Cricket is utter shit.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2011, 09:41:37 PM »

American Football is cool, definately the best American invented sport.
Cricket is utter shit.

You're so right in the first instance and yet criminally incorrect in the second.

Offline CBAV06

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2011, 04:36:57 AM »
We are absoloutely NOTHING like the Cleveland Browns... we're nowhere near as bad as them, if we were an NFL team we'd have gone either 10-6 or 11-5 in the last 3 seasons and we'd have atleast 1 Superbowl. The Cleveland Browns have never won a Superbowl, have only ever made the playoffs once and have only had 2 winning seasons in 11 years (note I'm talking about the 'new' Browns franchise... the old one plays in Baltimore now so there previous records count diddly squat despite how the Browns like to portray as if the Browns never got taken away then were given a new franchise).

Taking all things into account and looking at it broadly, we're more like the Chicago Bears, Denver Broncos or Miami Dolphins.

While opinions are free for everyone to have, if you check the NFL records you will see you are wrong. Baltimore did not inherit all of the Browns championships. They did not inherit any of the Browns history. They inherited a terrible owner and the current players...that was it. They could have never moved the team to Baltimore otherwise, since the owner was contractually bound to play in Cleveland still. In order to move he had to leave the history right where it was made.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2011, 07:46:04 PM »
Browns hire Pat Shurmur as Head Coach.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/113464069.html

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal