collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The problem with the Dunne & Collins pair  (Read 17924 times)

Offline Archie

The problem with the Dunne & Collins pair
« on: January 02, 2011, 09:01:13 PM »
All in all, I'm quite satisfied today, as we risked to lose a game that we'd deserve to win, and that at seven minutes from the treble whistle we were winning.

But in the same time I'm pretty disappointed (ok, I'm pi*sed off) for another  win thrown away  due to the  lack of consistency of our defenders. >:(
It goes without saying, (GH would say: ça va sans dire  ;)) that I refer to Collins & Dunne.

I can concede that Dunne  has been less disastrous than usual, but he didn't challenge Drogba in the air in the occasion of their second goal. Even when he plays quite well he makes the crucial mistake that costs us the game.
And Collins provoked a ridicolous penalty.

The TV commentator said that Dunne & Collins look "pub players", and actually I don't remember a worst pair of central defenders,  I think none of them would play in the starting XI of my local team that play in the Italian Serie B.

Apart of their defensive blunders, what I can't stand   is that every time they intercept the ball, the only thing they can do is belt it clear, absolutely unable to start and create from the back, a kind of play that was out-of-date in the 60's.
We can't hold the ball back, it's  for this that we are always under pressure and that we have the worst defence of the Premier League.

Obviously it's I that I blame MON for signign  two average (but overpaid  >:() players like the pair Dunne & Collins, but what I can't understand is how can a continental manager like GH, that like a certain refined style of play,  play them instead of the pair Clark - Cuellar.
It's  a mistery to me.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:44:14 AM by Archie »

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: The worst pair of central defenders ever?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 09:10:33 PM »
I thought they were both fine today.

Not perfect at all, but both had to put in a very decent shift.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:11:38 PM »
All in all, I'm quite satisfied today, as we risked to lose a game that we'd deserve to win, and that at seven minutes from the treble whistle we were winning.

But in the same time I'm pretty disappointed (ok, I'm pi*sed off) for another  win thrown away  due to the  lack of consistency of our defenders. >:(
It goes without saying, (GH would say: ça va sans dire  ;)) that I refer to Collins & Dunne.

I can concede that Dunne  has been less disastrous than usual, but he didn't challenge Drogba in the air in the occasion of their second goal. Even when he plays quite well he makes the crucial mistake that costs us the game.

The TV commentator said that Dunne & Collins look "pub players", and actually I don't remember a worst pair of central defenders,  I think none of them would play in the starting XI of my local team that play in the Italian Serie B.

Apart of their defensive blunders, what I can't stand   is that every time they intercept the ball, the only thing they can do is belt it clear, absolutely unable to start and create from the back, a kind of play that was out-of-date in the 60's.
We can't hold the ball back, it's  for this that we are always under pressure and that we have the worst defence of the Premier League.

Obviously it's I that I blame MON for signign  two average (but overpaid  >:() players like the pair Dunne & Collins, but what I can't understand is how can a continental manager like GH, that like a certain refined style of play,  play them instead of the pair Clark - Cuellar.
It's  a mistery to me.

Dunne was good enough today, Collins was not. As an overall this season, they could be the worst i've seen. Last season they were pretty good overall. Not sure what has happened.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 09:14:37 PM »
harsh words Archie IMO

Offline villa1

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 09:15:54 PM »
Thought they were good today.

Dunne was much improved.

Apart from a silly challenge for the penalty, Collins was ok.

Their distribution isn't great but I don't think it ever has been and MON didn't buy them for that.

Offline enigma

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 09:20:29 PM »
The thing is. Collins is well capable of passing the ball well and bringing it out of defence, we just don't see it any more. He was well known for it before and we saw it when he first joined. We seem to have drilled that side of his game out of him though.

Offline villa1

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 09:22:46 PM »
True. He seems to go for longer balls at times and often passes to the opposition.

Offline dl9

• It all began vs Eintracht Frankfurt......
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 09:24:59 PM »

Well I think to a man they performed admirably today. Worst defenders ever? I think you're just creating a subject header to attract posts. Steve Sims & Derek Mountfield or Collins & Dunne...I know which ones I'd have......

It's  a mistery to me.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 09:25:43 PM »
Very harsh words...a point at the bridge is a point at the bridge especially given our form of late.

I'm not excusing defensive performances of late (and I'm no fan of James Collins) but I thought we did well and can be happy with the way the defence performed overall.

Offline dl9

• It all began vs Eintracht Frankfurt......
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 09:26:06 PM »
Well I think to a man they performed admirably today. Worst defenders ever? I think you're just creating a subject header to attract posts. Steve Sims & Derek Mountfield or Collins & Dunne...I know which ones I'd have......

Offline stevenavfc

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 09:38:32 PM »
Pretty sound today, both made crucial tackles and Collins was quite unlucky to give the pen away, if one player doesn't attempt to jump for the ball but just stands his ground  the defender doesn't have much option but to collide with him on the way down, the ball was there to be won and only one player was trying to and indeed did win it.

Offline mal

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 09:40:03 PM »
Very harsh words...a point at the bridge is a point at the bridge especially given our form of late.

I'm not excusing defensive performances of late (and I'm no fan of James Collins) but I thought we did well and can be happy with the way the defence performed overall.

With all due respect, praise for the defence has been widespread on this thread and the match thread and yet we conceded three goals and YET AGAIN could not hold a lead til time from the 80th minute. I'm sure the whole nation knew from that point on the one bankable fact was that Villa would concede at least one and would not win.
Praise if it's due must go to the forward  line who managed three goals in a league game for the 3rd time this season and more than 1 for only the 5th time, and thereby bailed a leaky defence out of another dodgy situation.
Great draw and hopefully we'll kick on but if we don't plug the holes we won't.

Offline stevenavfc

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 09:47:11 PM »
Considering half the side were on a yellow for most of the match and with a referee in that mood they had to be careful and did really well.

Offline stevenavfc

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 09:51:44 PM »
Go and watch it again on motd2 and turn off the commentary so you can make your own mind up

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »
I think we sat too deep at 2-1 if anything, we put pressure on our defence
We should arguably have gone for the jugular then but our lads seemed to run out of steam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal