collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier hails Villa's "character" and "bravery" in Chelsea thriller  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Manager reacts to 3-3 draw at Stamford Bridge.

From Pravda:

Gerard Houllier reckons Villa's gutsy display against Chelsea can serve as a springboard after his team snatched a sensational draw against the double winners.

The manager witnessed a passionate response from his troops following back to back defeats against Tottenham and Manchester City.

Houllier praised the "character" and "bravery" displayed by his players after Ciaran Clark's last-gasp header earned a 3-3 draw at Stamford Bridge.

Asked if the performance could be a turning point in Villa's season, the Frenchman replied: "Yes I think so. In so many games we lost or dropped points in giving away goals at the end.

"This time we made the goal that brought us one point. There were a couple of games where we could have kept the result - I think we dropped 12 points from leading positions.

"It is a game of character. I would say we showed character, we showed bravery and we didn't bottle out."

Houllier pinpointed Villa's never-say-die attitude as a crucial factor after recovering from the double blow of late goals from Didier Drogba and John Terry.

"Obviously at 2-1 we knew Chelsea would throw everything at us to equalise and in fairness they did," he said.

"At 2-1, then 2-2, then 3-2 you have got to praise the players for their character and their reaction.

"I would have been extremely disappointed if we didn't get anything from this game, particularly for the players because I thought they had done enough to at least get a draw."

Emile Heskey and Richard Dunne were both singled out for praise after marking returns to the starting line-up with exceptional performances.

Heskey led the line impressively and headed home Villa's second goal, while Houllier hailed a return to form for defensive ace Dunne.

"When Emile is on form there are not many defenders who can cope with him," added the manager.

"I watched all the training sessions Richard was involved in. His commitment and his fitness were better."

Offline tsvet

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Houllier hails Villa's "character" and "bravery" in Chelsea thriller
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 06:33:02 PM »
Asked if the performance could be a turning point in Villa's season, the Frenchman replied: "Yes I think so. In so many games we lost or dropped points in giving away goals at the end.

"This time we made the goal that brought us one point. There were a couple of games where we could have kept the result - I think we dropped 12 points from leading positions.

"It is a game of character. I would say we showed character, we showed bravery and we didn't bottle out."

I guess the manager has forgotten that by the 82nd minute we were still leading 2-1...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal