collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Collins: Dramatic draw can be catalyst for fab second half of season  (Read 2549 times)

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
James Collins upbeat after classy finish against Chelsea.

From Pravda:

James Collins believes Villa's dramatic draw with Chelsea could provide the catalyst to help kick-start their season - particularly given the courage shown to stage the unbelievable comeback.

Collins said defeat would have been an "injustice" after the way Gerard Houllier's men battled at Stamford Bridge.

The defensive rock thinks the positive point, earned at the death, will now spur the team on to greater heights in the Barclays Premier League.

He told AVTV: "I have played in quieter games than that - a lot quieter. It was a great game to play in and it would have been a real disappointment to not get anything out of it because I think we played well. That's especially true because we were leading for so long.

"But the boys showed great spirit. To come to Stamford Bridge and get a point was brilliant.

"It would have been an injustice if we hadn't got anything from it.

"It felt like we'd won the game at the end. When a team scores against you in the last minute it is usually a killer blow so for us to nick one again was brilliant.

"It gives everyone a boost, particularly after the defeat to Manchester City. We knew we were so under-par, it was unbelievable really. So to come to Chelsea and get a point to kick us on is fantastic.

"We said before the game if we got something from the game, it could be a catalyst and hopefully that's what it will do for us."

Collins thinks experience was vital in the pressure-cooker of Stamford Bridge - with defensive partner Richard Dunne coming in for praise.

Villa's Welsh warrior believes the presence of seasoned pros like Stan Petrov, Nigel Reo-Coker and Emile Heskey was vital as they staged an tremendous late flourish.

He continued: "Experience was important. A lot of the boys who played in this game have probably played in matches like that before. That obviously helps.

"It is always great playing with Dunny too. He's such a good defender. He's so professional on the pitch - it's inspiring to everyone. It was good to have him back."

Collins also hailed Ciaran Clark for his late heroics.

He added: "It was some finish from Ciaran. He's slotted into left-back there. He's never played there before but you'd never guess it. He's such a good player.

"To come here and get the equaliser and help us get the point was great for him."

Watch Collins battle with Sundeland's star strikers on Wednesday - get your tickets now with great deals to be had - click here.

Offline villa1

Re: Collins: Dramatic draw can be catalyst for fab second half of season
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 10:41:56 AM »
I thought Cuellar played well too m

It was a game where both sides probably felt they deserved to win, but for different reasons. Us for our battling qualities and team spirit, them for possession and chances in the second half.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 11:09:49 AM »
I just hope we can take that sort of performance into the Sunderland game.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 11:13:40 AM »
I just hope we can take that sort of performance into the Sunderland game.
So do I.

I worry it will be more like the Blackburn performances that we put in after Man Yoo.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 11:31:45 AM »
These players need to stop with all the talking......

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 04:10:17 PM »
These players need to stop with all the talking......

It's what they do, Its what they are paid to do.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 04:21:02 PM »
Another one!! Sometimes things lose their value when they are over produced!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal