collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chelsea v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 96202 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Chelsea v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #375 on: January 03, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
Anyway, let's move on, I am very glad a pen was given obviously!

I did think all the Villa bookings were deserved, much as it pains me to say it

I disagree, apart from the Petrov one which was a terrible challenge, and another which escapes me at the moment, he could have easily used common sense and just given free kicks. Instead he got his cards out almost every time. NRC's booking for example was ridiculous. Drogba tripped himself up and he was only past the half way line. Sorry Richard, it was possibly the most over the top refereeing perfomance i've seen for a long time.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #376 on: January 03, 2011, 01:07:02 PM »
Richard - I agree with you in terms of Reo Cokers reaction. It was one of the funniest moments in a game I have seen in a long while, and is clearly after the whistle, thinks another poor decision has gone against him and starts having a benny, realisation hits, and he meekly high fives the nearest player while exiting the scene as quietly as he can!

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #377 on: January 03, 2011, 01:10:07 PM »
Our penalty was as blatant a penalty I can remember. Reo-Coker's reaction was due to the ref's performance during the previous 40 minutes.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #378 on: January 03, 2011, 01:15:57 PM »
Anyway, let's move on, I am very glad a pen was given obviously!

I did think all the Villa bookings were deserved, much as it pains me to say it

I disagree, apart from the Petrov one which was a terrible challenge, and another which escapes me at the moment
Gabby's definitely was.

You could argue that all of them warranted a booking. As long as the equivalent fouls by Chelsea players received the same punishment. Which they didn't.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #379 on: January 03, 2011, 01:45:30 PM »
I think centre-midfield is a bit of a thorny one for us to deal with in some ways, although I suppose the easy answer is 'buy someone better'!
I had originally thought that Delph would be a replacement for NRC, but on reflection I think he's more a candidate to replace Petrov. He is hard-working and can keep posession well, like Petrov, but he has a lot more energy and, I think, a more creative element to his passing. Alongside NRC (or a possible upgrade, although I still think Reo-Coker can be a very good player in the right role), I think Delph might just add something to our midfield in the same way as Milner did.
I agree with that. Whilst accepting Stan brings a lot of experience with him, he appears to be the weaker of the two central midfielders. For those that still think NRC can't pass, yesterday's game was yet another demonstration of just how much he's improved that side of his game. I counted one misplaced pass all game but what was impressive was what he actually did with the ball when he had it. I really hope he signs a new contract as the alternative is somebody getting a bloody good player for nothing.

As for Delph, he's still what, 19 years old, he needs time and games under his belt to get to a level whereby he's first choice. He'll get there but let's not throw him in the deep end just yet, he's going to be a great player if brought through correctly.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #380 on: January 03, 2011, 02:01:27 PM »
Delph is the long term solution for Stan. Let's hope he keeps improving.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #381 on: January 03, 2011, 02:12:15 PM »
I think centre-midfield is a bit of a thorny one for us to deal with in some ways, although I suppose the easy answer is 'buy someone better'!
I had originally thought that Delph would be a replacement for NRC, but on reflection I think he's more a candidate to replace Petrov. He is hard-working and can keep posession well, like Petrov, but he has a lot more energy and, I think, a more creative element to his passing. Alongside NRC (or a possible upgrade, although I still think Reo-Coker can be a very good player in the right role), I think Delph might just add something to our midfield in the same way as Milner did.
I agree with that. Whilst accepting Stan brings a lot of experience with him, he appears to be the weaker of the two central midfielders. For those that still think NRC can't pass, yesterday's game was yet another demonstration of just how much he's improved that side of his game. I counted one misplaced pass all game but what was impressive was what he actually did with the ball when he had it. I really hope he signs a new contract as the alternative is somebody getting a bloody good player for nothing.

As for Delph, he's still what, 19 years old, he needs time and games under his belt to get to a level whereby he's first choice. He'll get there but let's not throw him in the deep end just yet, he's going to be a great player if brought through correctly.

Reo Coker had a good first half but virtually disappeared in the second so didn't have the chance to give the ball away. I want us to get back to the stage where he's the player we bring on for 20 minutes to help kill the game.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #382 on: January 03, 2011, 02:19:55 PM »
Richard - I agree with you in terms of Reo Cokers reaction. It was one of the funniest moments in a game I have seen in a long while, and is clearly after the whistle, thinks another poor decision has gone against him and starts having a benny, realisation hits, and he meekly high fives the nearest player while exiting the scene as quietly as he can!

Kinda sums Reo-Coker up really! His brain always seems to be one step behind his actions to me, odd as he appears very coherent and with it off the pitch...

Offline El Hurricane

« Reply #383 on: January 03, 2011, 02:42:10 PM »
I would like to see more of Delph as I don't see Petrov as 90 minute player.There was an instance when Reo Coker won the ball and pushed it forward,Petrov couldn't get to the ball quicker than the Chelsea player and they were back in possession.Teams have kept saying we tire after 70 minutes,this being the case we need to use the subs more.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #384 on: January 03, 2011, 02:58:44 PM »
Teams have kept saying we tire after 70 minutes,this being the case we need to use the subs more.

No, we need to have a team that does not tire after 70 minutes and use substitutions for injuries and tactical to change games.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #385 on: January 03, 2011, 09:56:56 PM »

Reo Coker had a good first half but virtually disappeared in the second so didn't have the chance to give the ball away. I want us to get back to the stage where he's the player we bring on for 20 minutes to help kill the game.
I know you don't rate him Chris but second half it was obvious he'd been given a job to do, specifically stopping Anelka and Lampard making runs from deep. So successful was he, Chelsea were forced to push everything to the flanks, eventually replacing the frustrated Anelka. Lampard had one chance second half but that was from a very advanced position. Even the lunatic that is David Pleat, managed to note that neither Essien or Lampard had been able to get in the game, such was the way we strangled them.

As Mac mentioned earlier, with six players on a yellow card, including NRC, it was very difficult for us to commit to the type of challenges we had first half. It would be wonderful to bring NRC on for the last 20 minutes to close up the game, at the same time it would be great to bring on Gabby or Ashley with 20 minutes to go to win the game. Problem is, they're the best we have at the moment and deserve on this season's performances to be in the starting XI.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #386 on: January 03, 2011, 09:59:06 PM »
We definately could have done with some fresh legs in midfield for the last 20minutes Gabby  NRC and Stan had run themselves out,  but not surprising when you consider that they are probably not match fit

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #387 on: January 04, 2011, 03:22:31 PM »
That was a MON team performance if ever I saw one, but comes as no surprise given that only Ciaran Clark was the only difference in the team (though maybe NRC as well).

We play like that, we'll be fine, but that much was clear from the last three seasons.

I suggest GH keeps this style up until we're clear of any relegation worries, then he must try and get the team playing how he wants them to, ready for next season.

Lest I am mistaken, "Team MON" got beaten 7-1 in the corresponding fixture last season.

More seriously, I thought the "graphic" presented by Lee Dixon on MOTD, and also a tactical analysis that has been floating about on the internet, provided interecting viewing/reading. They illustrated how Houlliers team held a much wider formation throughout the team, and pushed up further, thereby preventing Chelsea attacking down the wings.

Certainly my recollection when at Stamford Bridge last season is Chelsae looking like they were going to score every time the ball went out to the wings, and Luke Young being taken to the cleaners.

Whilst Houlliers tactics were probably somewhat elementary, I think he has already demonstrated himself to be tactically more astute than MON. If he can win over, and motivate, the players, I think we will do better than if MON had stayed.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #388 on: January 04, 2011, 09:33:32 PM »
That was a MON team performance if ever I saw one, but comes as no surprise given that only Ciaran Clark was the only difference in the team (though maybe NRC as well).

We play like that, we'll be fine, but that much was clear from the last three seasons.

I suggest GH keeps this style up until we're clear of any relegation worries, then he must try and get the team playing how he wants them to, ready for next season.

Lest I am mistaken, "Team MON" got beaten 7-1 in the corresponding fixture last season.

More seriously, I thought the "graphic" presented by Lee Dixon on MOTD, and also a tactical analysis that has been floating about on the internet, provided interecting viewing/reading. They illustrated how Houlliers team held a much wider formation throughout the team, and pushed up further, thereby preventing Chelsea attacking down the wings.

Certainly my recollection when at Stamford Bridge last season is Chelsae looking like they were going to score every time the ball went out to the wings, and Luke Young being taken to the cleaners.

Whilst Houlliers tactics were probably somewhat elementary, I think he has already demonstrated himself to be tactically more astute than MON. If he can win over, and motivate, the players, I think we will do better than if MON had stayed.

What about the game at Villa Park? Or Man Utd? Or Liverpool? Do you just judge MON on one game? What about all the others?

Already demonstrated himself to be tactically more astute than MON?!?!?!? How on earth you can say that after we've tried passing the ball around in previous matches (or just not bothered playing at all (Blackburn/Spurs/Man City) and then we converted to a more direct style against Chelsea and pressed them hard (just how MON played) and we got a good result.

I'm not against GH, I think he can take MON's team and improve it, but to say that in the short period he's been there that he's demonstrated himself to be tactically more astute than MON is just plain wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal