collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Will Houllier Ever Win The Fans Over  (Read 27811 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Will Houllier Ever Win The Fans Over
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »
the man city poll was up soon after the game when passions were running high - i think in the cold light of day a few people have calmed down and maybe had voted in haste.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2011, 12:25:32 PM »
Don't worry it will all kick off again tomorrow no doubt

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2011, 12:32:38 PM »
I think he will win over the fans when he get some exciting quality players and get on a good run of form and hopefully a trophy or nine.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2011, 12:59:48 PM »
I've never seen a new manager's words so critically debated and misconstrued.

This was my reason for asking the question.

I can understand people being critical of performance and comments made but it has gone further than that.  We have people openly fabricating stories to use against the manager, why?  We have people twisting comments to suit their arguement against the manager, why?

The age of the internet has meant news travels very fast and rumours spread like wildfire.  People pick up on comments, treate them as gospel and comment on them, sometimes without thinking about why it was said and whether it is true.  Take the comment the other night when it was said GH was not travelling back with the team and was attending a Liverpool function, which somebody later said was totally untrue.  Why would somebody want to make up something like that, which would show the manager in a bad light and ultimately show up the club and the supporters.  It is the last bit that I am struggling to accept as a long time Villa supporter.  Everybody has a right to give their opinion but I have always believed that we should get behind the club and give the people that run the club the time to put plans into action.  It is very easy to stand on the sidelines and criticise.  It is not so easy these days to show some restraint and understanding of the problems before criticising.

My opinion, GH will never get the full support of the fans, too much has been said.  If results do improve and we finish the season on a high, there will still be some supporters waiting for the next setback.  Things will not happen quick enough for some (in this day and age probably many).  How many people these days accept they are wrong and change their views, easy to say but difficult to action.

Randy Lerner selected Houllier (in my opinion) for the long term to slowly rebuild the team to challenge and sustain the challenge year after year.  This was never going to be a short term taking of last seasons team and adding a couple of players.  Many people recognised the limitations of the team, the most obvious being not being able to take a game to the opposition and dominate (an absolute requirement if you want to be a top team).  As supporters we always believe the team is better than it actually is and that some players are better than they actually are, that is what being a fan is all about.

I think Randy is here for the long term but he knows that he cannot keep pumping in money like before as there will always be another owner that will come along similar to Man City.  That way has to be on a sustainable development of the team that goes on year after year. 

Until GH is able to field a settled side, injury free and add a couple of players to cover the loss of Milner and the deficiencies I will give him the time to show whether he still has it in him.  The tipping point for me will probably be the end of February.  I will either see the light at the end of the tunnel or will accept that my faith was misplaced and suggest we look for another manager, providing that it follows the same blueprint that I believe Randy is trying to follow and build for the future.  I have seen too many periods of short term succes followed by periods of nothing or, even worse, failure.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2011, 01:06:36 PM »
I think the phrase the young people use is "What he said."

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2011, 01:13:50 PM »
or "this"

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2011, 01:17:43 PM »
~I agree he said some silly things. But its fairly standard practice for a new manager to talk down recent performances, for fairly obvious reasons. He was wrong to say we were a 7th-12 placed team; but it wasn't a million miles out. I feel that's where our 'natural' position would be if everyone performed to their potential across the division. ie top 6 'should' be: Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Spurs. 

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2011, 01:24:10 PM »
~I agree he said some silly things. But its fairly standard practice for a new manager to talk down recent performances, for fairly obvious reasons. He was wrong to say we were a 7th-12 placed team; but it wasn't a million miles out. I feel that's where our 'natural' position would be if everyone performed to their potential across the division. ie top 6 'should' be: Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Spurs. 

How often have Tottenham and Man City finished above us over the years? They maybe be better than us right now, but there's nothing traditional or 'natural' about those two teams being top six clubs.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2011, 01:28:44 PM »

I can understand people being critical of performance and comments made but it has gone further than that.  We have people openly fabricating stories to use against the manager, why?  We have people twisting comments to suit their arguement against the manager, why?

The age of the internet has meant news travels very fast and rumours spread like wildfire.  People pick up on comments, treate them as gospel and comment on them, sometimes without thinking about why it was said and whether it is true.  Take the comment the other night when it was said GH was not travelling back with the team and was attending a Liverpool function, which somebody later said was totally untrue.  Why would somebody want to make up something like that, which would show the manager in a bad light and ultimately show up the club and the supporters.  It is the last bit that I am struggling to accept as a long time Villa supporter.  Everybody has a right to give their opinion but I have always believed that we should get behind the club and give the people that run the club the time to put plans into action.  It is very easy to stand on the sidelines and criticise.  It is not so easy these days to show some restraint and understanding of the problems before criticising.

My opinion, GH will never get the full support of the fans, too much has been said.  If results do improve and we finish the season on a high, there will still be some supporters waiting for the next setback.  Things will not happen quick enough for some (in this day and age probably many).  How many people these days accept they are wrong and change their views, easy to say but difficult to action.

Randy Lerner selected Houllier (in my opinion) for the long term to slowly rebuild the team to challenge and sustain the challenge year after year.  This was never going to be a short term taking of last seasons team and adding a couple of players.  Many people recognised the limitations of the team, the most obvious being not being able to take a game to the opposition and dominate (an absolute requirement if you want to be a top team).  As supporters we always believe the team is better than it actually is and that some players are better than they actually are, that is what being a fan is all about.

I think Randy is here for the long term but he knows that he cannot keep pumping in money like before as there will always be another owner that will come along similar to Man City.  That way has to be on a sustainable development of the team that goes on year after year. 

Until GH is able to field a settled side, injury free and add a couple of players to cover the loss of Milner and the deficiencies I will give him the time to show whether he still has it in him.  The tipping point for me will probably be the end of February.  I will either see the light at the end of the tunnel or will accept that my faith was misplaced and suggest we look for another manager, providing that it follows the same blueprint that I believe Randy is trying to follow and build for the future.  I have seen too many periods of short term succes followed by periods of nothing or, even worse, failure.

Top post.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2011, 01:37:42 PM »
I'm not so sure Randy's here 'for the long term' myself.

I think he's accepting that it takes very serious money to really compete these days, and he is not a bottomless pit of said commodity.

I for one would not be surprised to see a dilution at the very least in the next year or two.

Re. Houllier, he's not a 'Villa Manager', don't know how else to explain it.

Offline Simba

« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2011, 01:57:48 PM »
As an (almost) bus pass supporter myself I agreed with all that OMVF said. Give it a chance and those of us of a certain age usually do. I supported the Houllier appointment as "the next step" appointment. Long or medium term.

But now it is different. It smells of a mistake. Of relegation. Of division in players ranks, lack of discipline, passion, common cause, man management errors. Training debates. And yes somehow not a devotion to Aston Villa.

Half watching Baggies Man U. Baggies down within three minutes but have fought, hassled and even played some nice footy. Equalised, should have had a definite pen and the stats are in their favour.

Even if they eventually get tonked second half I would cheer them off. Not Villa against City, Liverpool etc etc. No fight.

Ok OMVF you want to give it end Feb. What do we do then? At the moment 20 points - half season gone. And we are not fighting like the W's or any one else around us.

Not this time. Get rid of McAllister at least. Now. Mistake made. GH has lost fans, players, and I suspect the Board.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2011, 02:19:33 PM »
Let's give our manager the benefit of the doubt on all the negative things he's done since he took over, and let's concentrate on the positives. Anybody want to start us off....?

Given the current mess we are in, that should'nt have made me laugh as much as it did.

Offline Simba

« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2011, 03:47:53 PM »
I think Houllier is a Dr. Venglos appointment. Very different and brave at the time but he did just not fit.

Given the English football mentality of our squad, and the football they were used to (for better or worse) this is a bridge too far. We don't have the luxury anymore of this experiment.

He has a great CV and it made some sense to take him on as an upward, sensible Euro minded Manager to guide us to the top four. And beyond. Good for Randy et al.

However, he and his sidekick have failed. Already. We can debate whether it is him or the players rejecting his style - and who is to know who is right- but we will be relegated playing like this. That will destroy us for many years. We cannot afford this experiment and in August I said we could. I was wrong.

Am I alone in this? Get rid of this mistake. The cost in severence is nothing in comparison.

BTW I guess we will hammer Chelsea now after that rant. :)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2011, 04:18:06 PM »

I don't give a shiny shite about internet gossip or PR gaffes. What I see on the pitch every other week looks like relegation fodder, if he turns it round he'll win me over. Sadly, I think there's more chance he won't.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 04:20:02 PM by Percy »

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2011, 04:23:44 PM »
Agreed Perc.

All that other bobbins would barely register if we were getting results on the pitch, or even delivering a level of performance that might indicate good times were ahead.

We're down on both of those, so it's a concern.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal