collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Please Randy sack Houllier  (Read 31896 times)

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
Re: Please Randy sack Houllier
« Reply #120 on: January 01, 2011, 10:31:34 AM »
Especially as Houllier was part of the famous France team set up that won the world cup

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2011, 11:40:24 AM »
A week is a very long time in football

Offline Simba

« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2011, 11:47:54 AM »
True. Wonder what we will be saying in seven days?

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2011, 11:58:45 AM »
I'm still sticking by my prediction that our injury problems will come to benefit us in the latter part of the season. Didn't do us much good at city but petrov and NRC were rusty. I'm not sure it will be GED in charge though. I'd have thought mclaren and jol were the most likely candidates.

We'll still get tonked tomorrow though

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2011, 02:37:58 PM »
I think we're all missing the obvious. We have dozens of experts on this forum who try to show us every week what a piece of piss managing a football club is, we just hold a raffle and let one of them do the job.

Agreed, please close down the internet post haste.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #125 on: January 01, 2011, 03:40:07 PM »
I forgot the legend which is Tony Hateley from my list of opiate strikers given to the fans.   He was useless at everything except being bought and sold.   We bought him from Chelsea I think (don't forget i work without a safety net) for £100K and sold him having done nothing for us for the same sum to Liverpool.

The most memorable thing about Tony Hately was his ugliness.   I was with a bunch of Villa fans roaming around London prior to a Chelsea or Fulham game.   Anyroadup we were all walking across one of the bridges over he Thames when this really ugly bird with billiard table legs, jet black flattened hair and a face like a half cooked nan bread walked past on the other side of the bridge.   As one our lads burst into "One Tony Hateley".

Sorry Brian, but I must stick up for Tony Hateley. You are right that he wasn't the most handsome player we ever had, but boy, could he head a ball. This was partly due to having a completely flat forehead reminiscent of Karloff's Frankenstien's monster.

We bought him from Notts County and in the 3 years he was at Villa Park, (I see from Wiki) he scored 68 goals in 127 games. Not exactly "done nothing" at least by today's standards. Most were scored with his head as his feet were pretty much just for standing on, or tripping over when in front of goal. Those he did score with his feet were usually put on a plate by Phil Woosnam.

His career nosedived after we sold him to Chelsea, and he was shunted around half a dozen clubs, finishing up at Oldham Athletic.

I remember seeing him play for Small Heath at the Sty, where he was jeered off the pitch by his own fans after being sent off for throwing a handfull of mud at the referee. It was a sad end to for one of my boyhood heroes. Still the best header of the ball I've ever seen.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2011, 03:59:42 PM »
I think Houllier will get us relegated, so compared to that some of the options are more attractive than might otherwise be the case.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2011, 04:19:38 PM »
Everyone was baying for blood after the Ci££eh debacle, the mood has softened during the week
Let's see what tomorrow brings, If the players battle hard for one another and the club that will be a big plus regardless of the result

Offline Simba

« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2011, 05:03:59 PM »
Saddest for Tony Hately was when we went to Notts County when he was playing for them. Those of us old enough to have been there will remember that we 'took' seventy percent of the ground.

Right in front of us his feet got caught up in some bog roll/streamer thrown by the Villa.

Not a heart beat: "SHIT -SHIT -SHIT!

He looked up and I could have cried for him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal