collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier: Defensive improvement is our number one priority  (Read 8809 times)

Offline Bosco81

Re: Houllier: Defensive improvement is our number one priority
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 09:33:26 PM »
These are MON's defenders. There job was to stand tall, block everything and whack the ball as far as possible to the fast lads up front. Now they are being asked to retain possession, play the ball out, or be a bit more intelligent in how they play the game. They can't do it.
no offence but that's a load of shite.
If they remembered how to defend first and foremost we wouldn't be in this mess.

Offline myf

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 09:57:25 PM »
These are MON's defenders. There job was to stand tall, block everything and whack the ball as far as possible to the fast lads up front. Now they are being asked to retain possession, play the ball out, or be a bit more intelligent in how they play the game. They can't do it.
no offence but that's a load of shite.
If they remembered how to defend first and foremost we wouldn't be in this mess.

Maybe if they are being asked to defend in zones rather than by player it could explain why it has been such a shambles this year.  The third goal against City was the worst for me - we had about 5 men behind the ball with Silva on the edge of the box and still got ripped apart.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 09:57:45 PM »
I think some of the defensive problems are due to a change from man-marking to zonal-marking. Also, less energy (we sold Milner) and experience in midfield making the back four more exposed. Finally, an inexperienced right back (Lichaj) and out-of-form left back (Warnock) also adds to the equation.

I also dare say, Dunne was possible our second best player last season. This season he is completely unfit and also, it seems, out of favour. There are several reasons why we cannot maintain last season's defensive record. Not all of them are Houllier's fault.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »
The point that GH makes is that we have to defend better as a team.  We have conceeded too many goals where opposition players have lost their markers 30m from goal, whether it be wide or through the centre, because players have not tracked back.  Defending starts from the front.

I must say though, our defending from set-pieces has been absolute garbage.  The number of times when the wrong player has been marking the danger player or the space he is going to run in to.  I am not one for zonal marking as I believe when you mark the player you put him off just as much by moving with him as actually winning the header.  There are many times when we look as though we haven't a clue where our players should be for set-pieces.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 10:26:32 PM »
Dunne not performing is the biggest loss, last season with Carlos at right back Dunne ,Collins in the centre gave us a solid defence, better at defending sst pieces too with three big bodies in there. I was one who hated Carlos playing there but maybe O'Neill had a point. As i've said in a previous post we have virtually every player except Milner availeable maybe in the short term we should go back to what worked last season and get some cohesion back into the side.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 10:45:46 PM »
A new keeper is a priority.  Friedel looks shot to bits.

Offline jembob

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 10:46:46 PM »
Warnock is our biggest defensive problem at the moment but we don't have anybody to replace him. That really starts to hamper any sort of improvement.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 11:22:36 PM »
Perhaps a more agricultural style of play is what's needed now. As I said a few days ago, I don't feel comfortable when Cueller/Collins/Dunne are passing the ball around at the back. It's a disaster waiting to happen and they don't look comfortable either.

We were very effective as we were and I feel Gh tried to change things too fast. It'd be better to gradually revert to a new style.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 11:28:29 PM »
Why don't we get back to the trusted formulae of playing a CB at RB, and a RB at LB ? Job done

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 11:28:38 PM »
Dunne not performing is the biggest loss, last season with Carlos at right back Dunne ,Collins in the centre gave us a solid defence, better at defending sst pieces too with three big bodies in there. I was one who hated Carlos playing there but maybe O'Neill had a point. As i've said in a previous post we have virtually every player except Milner availeable maybe in the short term we should go back to what worked last season and get some cohesion back into the side.

It was quite an admission of failure(?), having bought two central defenders to replace two weaker ones, to then have to play another one at fullback to form a solid defence.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 11:31:59 PM »
the defence is an absoloute shambles and i dont think any of them are playing well. defences are built around a goalkeeper and one member of the back 4, usually a centre half, one has to be the decision taker and organise the others including the central midfield, with Dunne out of form and fitness and Friedel having a bad season we are stuffed. Collins is a last ditch defender and cuellar dosent comunicate. promote clarke

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 09:47:10 AM »
Last season our defence were playing really well i would love to know how we can go from being good one season to being shite the next with the same defenders i know about confidence but all of them it's unreal.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 09:53:22 AM »
the defence is an absoloute shambles and i dont think any of them are playing well. defences are built around a goalkeeper and one member of the back 4, usually a centre half, one has to be the decision taker and organise the others including the central midfield, with Dunne out of form and fitness and Friedel having a bad season we are stuffed. Collins is a last ditch defender and cuellar dosent comunicate. promote clarke

I like Clarke but he was involved in our worst defensive performance of the season, that alone isn't the answer.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Lets do a Blackpool then score more than we concede...... oh I see the problem there... oh well

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2010, 10:26:15 AM »
It is a real mystery. We have the same players at the back that were so effective last season. Solid on paper too - proper full backs, battle hardened centre backs, decent cover. Maddening really.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal