collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scapegoats  (Read 7270 times)

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: Scapegoats
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 04:55:46 PM »
Is Lerner our new scapegoat? He's put in £120million to bring in players and done countless other things but to believe some of the people on here he is the devil incarnate.

scapegoat
Prounounced skeɪpˌgoʊt
noun
a person or group made to bear the blame for others or to suffer in their place.

Sounds about right to me. He is to blame for his money being spent on those players who are letting us down and not trying.

What has he done that is so wrong? He might (emphasis on that last word) have employed the wrong man and made one mistake compared to hundreds of other things that were right and good.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 04:56:29 PM »
Ellis out

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 04:57:29 PM »
I would tend to agree with Linus here.

The senior players have not been as professional as they should be but i think we could do with a manager who will try to manage our best players as effectively as possible and GH has not done so.

Carew and Ireland need the old arm-around-the-shoulder treatment and i think if they got it they could be exceptional for us. How far you take this is up for debate, but it seems that GH hasnt bothered at all.

Dunne on the other hand does not need such molly coddling. The story about their bust up is quite incredible if true and is awful man mangement. Let's not forget this time last year Dunne was one of, if not the best Centre halves in the league last year.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 04:59:24 PM »
Is Lerner our new scapegoat? He's put in £120million to bring in players and done countless other things but to believe some of the people on here he is the devil incarnate.

scapegoat
Prounounced skeɪpˌgoʊt
noun
a person or group made to bear the blame for others or to suffer in their place.

Sounds about right to me. He is to blame for his money being spent on those players who are letting us down and not trying.

What has he done that is so wrong? He might (emphasis on that last word) have employed the wrong man and made one mistake compared to hundreds of other things that were right and good.

I wouldnt say Lerner is a scapegoat....I think everyone recognises what he has done for us.

But I do think that he has handled MON's departure and GH appointment badly...I just hope he addresses it before it is too late.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 05:03:31 PM »
Summed up my thoughts, Paulie.

Carew, Ireland and Dunne have been a disgrace this season for various reasons.  All these Carew-worshipping twats up the back of the Holte haven't got a clue.  Still, he loves his tits and his fanny so that makes it alright.  Ireland is a barking mad oxygen thief and Dunne makes my piss boil most of all, the fat fuck.
I am with you on this post.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 05:16:15 PM »
The whole problem can be traced back to Thursday 6th May 2010.

Just 5 league wins under Cameron.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 05:23:57 PM »
As far as I can remember it seems a big majority of fellow Villa fans always go for scape goats, rather than excepting the real problem itself. I believe one example of this is blaming MON's tactics, (which admittedly at times were rather lacklustre) over fan-favourites who weren't putting in a shift. I.e - John Carew; Ashley Young; Richard Dunne

Over time, of course, the blame is constantly shifting between the manager, the board, and the players, and I firmly believe at this present time almost every factor of our club is to blame and we need a serious remodelling or we may find ourselves condemned to the same fate as the likes of Coventry, Leicester, Derby etc.

One plus, (possibly) on our side is the fans. We have a rich history and reputation for having great fans, and attendance at any away game will support this, as we always come in noisy numbers. However, we need to use this to our advantage by giving the team and management our full support on the pitch, as well as off it. If things get too bad, sure it is our time to voice an opinion; but please do not blindly get on peoples backs at will, when there are much bigger, more important problems that need addressing.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 05:25:11 PM »
No need for scapegoats - it was MoN - he left before his past their sell-by-dated over-priced dullards were finally, completely found out en-masse.

Everybody acts as if this was somehow not inevitable given the squad* MoN put together? They are just doing what they have always done but are now unable to adapt to new ideas/manager

*I fully accept that the youngsters and one or two exceptions (eg Cuellar, Downing) are trying.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 05:26:27 PM »
As far as I can remember it seems a big majority of fellow Villa fans always go for scape goats, rather than excepting the real problem itself. I believe one example of this is blaming MON's tactics, (which admittedly at times were rather lacklustre) over fan-favourites who weren't putting in a shift. I.e - John Carew; Ashley Young; Richard Dunne

Over time, of course, the blame is constantly shifting between the manager, the board, and the players, and I firmly believe at this present time almost every factor of our club is to blame and we need a serious remodelling or we may find ourselves condemned to the same fate as the likes of Coventry, Leicester, Derby etc.

One plus, (possibly) on our side is the fans. We have a rich history and reputation for having great fans, and attendance at any away game will support this, as we always come in noisy numbers. However, we need to use this to our advantage by giving the team and management our full support on the pitch, as well as off it. If things get too bad, sure it is our time to voice an opinion; but please do not blindly get on peoples backs at will, when there are much bigger, more important problems that need addressing.

Can't disagree with much of that Chiptick me old mate!

Offline sfx412

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 06:41:44 PM »
Randy didn't handle the departure of Mon and Houlliers appointment well enough ?

Please explain, are you like Tsvet with insider knowledge on RL ?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 06:55:25 PM »
Lerner has given his previous manager shit loads of money and let him get on with the job with a fair amount of success, we are having a short term knockback but I really cant believe my eyes when I see him being panned. Be careful what you wish for, the billionaire spate of new ownership seems to have passed and I'm not sure I would like our club to be the plaything of an Indian chicken farmer or suchlike.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »

scapegoat
Prounounced skeɪpˌgoʊt
noun

I'd love to know where this £120 million horseshit comes from. To many Lerner is great because he's not Ellis. To others, he's decent and an Improvement on Ellis but not exactly the second coming.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 11:41:39 AM »
Lerner has given his previous manager shit loads of money and let him get on with the job with a fair amount of success, we are having a short term knockback but I really cant believe my eyes when I see him being panned. Be careful what you wish for, the billionaire spate of new ownership seems to have passed and I'm not sure I would like our club to be the plaything of an Indian chicken farmer or suchlike.

Well said.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 12:56:38 PM »

Well said.

Indeed .. I agree with what Paulie and Chris Smith have said above too

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal