collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:15:07 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by aj2k77
[Today at 02:00:12 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Pete3206
[Today at 01:38:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scapegoats  (Read 7271 times)

Offline Linus

Scapegoats
« on: December 29, 2010, 02:02:49 PM »
Genuinely interested - can anyone explain to me how it's Richard Dunne's fault we're in the shit? I mean, other than him being out of form? Some on here talk of him as a "problem". Ditto Carew. Ireland I can kind of understand, but he's also been treated a little shabbily by M. Houllier. Interested to hear why these players are to blame...

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Scapegoats
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 02:12:13 PM »
If Dunne, Carew and Ireland had performed to the standard that all have shown themselves capable of in the past then we'd be a better side.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 02:17:54 PM »
Plus the senior players being disruptive sets the tone for the younger players and reduces the experience we are able to field.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 02:20:11 PM »
I thought this was going to be a Stephen Warnock thread, I've no idea why Richard Dunne is not playing as well as he did last year, but I don't think the reason is because Houllier has treated him badly, he was lucky to stay in the team as long as he did.

The fall out only seems to have occurred after he got dropped, which suggests Dunne thinks he was worth his place in the team, which based on his performances is laughable, Carew is slightly different as he hasn't seemed bothered either way for some time.

I don't mind Houllier upsetting players, he just needs to get them performing to the level we know they are capable of, which is something he doesn't look like he knows how to.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 02:33:03 PM »
Carew has just been totally unreliable.  Going off to Norway, coming back and declaring himself unfit because he was caught in the snow...These three senior pros - in an ideal world - should be leading, firing up the team and giving their best for the club and the fans.  All season Dunne has been carrying too much weight...The lack of professionalism has been astonishing and was there before GH arrived.

Any player who does not want to give their all and play for professional pride at least, needs bombing out.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 02:35:39 PM »
It's Lichaj today.

Anybody but GH, that's always been his method.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 02:45:41 PM »
Towards the end of last season you could sense that Carew had shot his bolt and had had enough. You can see why he's had so many clubs and has a 2 to 3 year turn over at each one.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 02:47:23 PM »
It's Lichaj today.

Has anyone found these supposed quotes yet?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 02:55:17 PM »
It's Lichaj today.

I've heard this as well, it's supposedly something he said on Radio WM, although being at the game myself i did'nt hear it.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 03:00:25 PM »
I was too busy faking the moon landings, sorry

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 03:40:37 PM »
It's Lichaj today.

I've heard this as well, it's supposedly something he said on Radio WM, although being at the game myself i did'nt hear it.

It was something along the lines of.."he's had a shocker" he also said we were "low on confidence" At that point I switched off, I was worried all the sharp knives were going to connect with my wrists

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 03:41:03 PM »
Some of the senior players have really let us down.

Amongst others, Carew with his pathetic excuses not to have to play, Friedel with his narcolepsy, Warnock with his pathetic lack of defensive nous, which he occasionally combines with Collins to produce a horrific double act.

As for Dunne with his blatant lack of fitness and form which looks self inflicted, having returned to training, and remained (at which point you have to ask questions of the coaching staff) overweight, he's been one of the worst offenders.

Some of those players (Friedel, Collins, for example) you can put down to being out of form, others - such as Carew and Dunne - it is to a greater degree self inflicted.

As for any of these being "scapegoats", scapegoats are people who are blamed for the faults of others. I can't really see how any of those underperforming players are copping stick for the faults of others, unless someone else is at fault for Carew randomly declaring himself "unfit" after helping himself to an extended holiday, or Dunne clearly eating a sofa every night to maintain a calorie intake which allows him to carry out the training of a professional footballer all week and STILL be overweight.

In all this current horrible period, what has shone through is the application and rising to the task of the young players, they have been largely magnificent. It is a shame that some older players who should really know better haven't managed to set a better example.

EDIT - sorry, I also forgot Ireland, another one who needs to hang his head in shame.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 03:43:24 PM by pauliewalnuts »

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 04:27:19 PM »
It was his post match conf on BBC WM last night.  Lichaj is 'inexperienced', but argueably kept better players quiet vs Spurs.  I think he's a great prospect, so let's hope he doesn't hear this to screw his confidence.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 04:29:27 PM »
Summed up my thoughts, Paulie.

Carew, Ireland and Dunne have been a disgrace this season for various reasons.  All these Carew-worshipping twats up the back of the Holte haven't got a clue.  Still, he loves his tits and his fanny so that makes it alright.  Ireland is a barking mad oxygen thief and Dunne makes my piss boil most of all, the fat fuck.

Offline Linus

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 04:51:03 PM »
See, to me, it's been Lerner and Houllier who've been a disgrace. Still, makes for good debate, different opinions and that!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal