collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Do you Think Randy Underestimated the Premier League?  (Read 12324 times)

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
Do you Think Randy Underestimated the Premier League?
« on: December 28, 2010, 11:49:49 PM »
This is certainly not a thread for criticising Randy it's more of a question did he realise how much of a task he had on his hands when he took over as owner of Villa.

In no way am I trying to be patronising but as Randy is American do you think he took the view of "you can go from one of the worst teams to one of the best teams in a few years"? I'm sure he's observed that in American sports where we've seen the Boston Celtics go from one of the worst teams in the NBA in the 06/07 season to winning the NBA Championship the following season. I won't bore you with the details in how they did this, but basicially they brought in two veterans and aquired a good pick in the '06 draft. That's just one of many examples though... do you think Randy was naive in thinking it could be done as easy in the Premier League? Americans sports do operate differently compared to over here but I wonder if that any impact on Randy's "5 year plan" because he's witnessed what can be done with some clever management?

p.s. this isn't an angry backlash after what's gone on recently, I was wondering about this topic for some time now.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Do you Think Randy Underestimated the Premier League?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 11:52:29 PM »
I don't think he underestimated it. He knew exactly what he was getting into at that time. He, and everyone else, probably underestimated how much money would be thrown at it since 2006. 

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:54:52 PM »
I remember someone posting on here - maybe IanB - that they'd met Randy briefly after a match, and chatted to him. This was shortly after Ellis Short took over Sunderland. When said person asked him about the way he thought things were going, he said he was worried about Sunderland.

If he was worried about what Sunderland would do with extra money, I bet he hasn't slept a wink since Mansour took over.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 12:03:18 AM »
Obviously  draft helps in US  in levelling the playing field.  PL  and other major European leagues are big money biased and will remain so unless changes are made.
I think Randy gave up once  he saw the Abu Dhabi money move in at Eastlands. No one can compete with that.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 12:04:17 AM »
Speaking of IanB where has the bugger gone lately?

Edit: 8888 posts - get in! Just like subtitles (with an extra fat lady)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:31:10 AM by eamonn »

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 12:05:31 AM »

Don't ask, don't tell.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 12:25:43 AM »
Merson put forward a similar theory on Sky recently, but for me didn't take into account Randy's UK experience at Uni and in business times when he saw and watched plenty of football.
I don't think any one single factor is at fault, be there any fault as most of what I see now quoted as fact like Tsvets comment RL wILL not spend in Jan is just negative media speculation.
For me he's spent plenty and now wants it spent more wisely and by someone he can trust not to run away at the first sign of trouble.
His ideas on timscales are far away from the average fans.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 02:07:27 AM »
The problem is the NFL are franchise with no relegation, where you make a profit even if you lose every game, maybe he thought the PL was similar?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 02:12:03 AM »
The problem is the NFL are franchise with no relegation, where you make a profit even if you lose every game, maybe he thought the PL was similar?

Do you really think he would buy a football club without knowing how the most famous league in the world's biggest sport works?

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 03:23:20 AM »

Don't ask, don't tell.

He joined the US military?

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 07:09:24 AM »

Do you really think he would buy a football club without knowing how the most famous league in the world's biggest sport works?

Listening to the fucking idiots on WM yesterday you would be fooled into thinking exactly that

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 08:35:01 AM »
It is more than possible that Mr Lerner underestimated the difficulty of breaking into the top 4 and winning Champions League football.  It is something we have grown to accept, but if you think about it the idea of the biggest clubs recieving all the benefits to keep the playing field skewed, it is clearly ludicrous.  The Americans like to maintain their idea of fair play, hence wage caps and the draft system.  This means that you can take a small outfit and in a few seasons take them to the superbowl, or whatever.  The only way that is possible in the Prem is by the spending of vast amounts of cash, and we all know that cash is becoming a much more precious commodity.  My fear is that another 2 or 3 years without any tangible reward for his investment might make Mr Lerner see us as an unsustainable commodity, and where will we find an owner with the sympathetic and understanding outlook of the current regime?  We might well end up being bought by the likes of the new Blackburn owners, and frankly I couldn't countenance giving my hard earned money to somebody who clearly has no idea what the beautiful game is about, or indeed the importance of our club within that history...
  I fear for the future.  I hope I am wrong.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 08:50:07 AM »
My single line of contact with Randy Lerner is second hand but very reliable.   My younger son met him in a London restaurant where they were both dining and they chatted.   The two things which my son came away with were that Randy is very aware of the magnitude of the commitment he must make in the Premiership and oddly that he thought Brad Friedel would make an excellent captain.   My son rates him very highly and that is good enough for me.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 09:54:06 AM »
I don't think he underestimated the PL, but the Man City takeover has moved the goalposts a fair bit.  I do think he overestimated O'Neill's ability to spend his money wisely.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 09:56:22 AM »
I don't think he underestimated the PL, but the Man City takeover has moved the goalposts a fair bit.  I do think he overestimated O'Neill's ability to spend his money wisely.

Agreed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal