collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Something I don't understand  (Read 20289 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Something I don't understand
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:57:04 PM »
It's not exclusively about Villa, or Houllier, but it's something I honestly don't get.

Players such as most of ours have been playing football seriously almost since they could walk. At every stage they've been the best of their contemporaries, but also the keenest, the hardest-working and the most dedicated. If they hadn't been, they wouldn't have got this far.

They'll have played for dozens of managers and coaches, not got on with some, and a few will have been nowhere near the level their ability required. Yet they would have had to play their hearts out for every one, otherwise they'd never have got to the next level.

So why is it that having got this far, they quite clearly decide they don't want to perform to anywhere near their best, whether that's because they don't get on with the manager, or for some other reason? Not just at Villa, but so often elsewhere as well.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
Re: Something I don't understand
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:58:16 PM »
Easy one this Dave money=power.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:01:28 PM »
I personally feel they have (at the Villa now) forgotten how to win. They have no belief. This negativity in their mind rubs through to their body language and to us it just looks like they don't give a shit.
I really believe the management can and should be doing their utmost to change this, sadly I don't thing GH and co can.
MON was very good at this, I know he had his faults but he always (well nearly) got 100% out of the players.

Online Ian.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:02:38 PM »
The more I think about this, I don't think its to do with money. If you like playing football, its in your blood, you love it.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 11:03:44 PM »
The more I think about this, I don't think its to do with money. If you like playing football, its in your blood, you love it.

Get paid 20K a week it might change your mind.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
Problems is when players are in nice juicy contract they will not give it up.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 11:04:45 PM »
In our case, I don't think they have decided that they don't want to perform or are not trying. They're not performing because they are coming up against teams with better formations, tactics, teamwork and coaching.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 11:04:55 PM »
MON was very good at this, I know he had his faults but he always (well nearly) got 100% out of the players.

Yeah, apart from Luke Young, Nicky Shorey, Habib Beye, Steve Sidwell, Curtis Davies, Marlon Harewood, Shaun Maloney, and Nigel Reo-Coker.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 11:05:30 PM »
In our case, I don't think they have decided that they don't want to perform or are not trying. They're not performing because they are coming up against teams with better formations, tactics, teamwork and coaching.

I'd have been more likely to agree with that before today.

Thank god there's no MOTD

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 11:05:39 PM »
As I just posted on another thread, they forget who they play for.  They don't play for the manager or the chairman, they forget that they play for us the supporters.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 11:08:37 PM »
I think it's a combination of unmotivated players AND poor coaching.  A perfect storm that's going to end in relegation if Houllier isn't sacked.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 11:08:46 PM »
When I was a lad I was on the books of Birmingham City. It was an opportunity for me to try and get on in the game and I gave everything to do so. I was fortunate to get that far if truth be told as my game relied very much on my willingness to work, my fitness, my desire and my passion. For all of that time I was at Birmingham City I hated it wearing their shitty badge, but I gave everything for them in the hope that one day I might better myself. I'll always be appreciative of being given that chance. 
I know the players (Gabby, Fonz and Albrighton aside) aren't fans and have no loyalty to the club, but as a 16 year old I gave everything for Birmingham to try and get on in the game - without luck. I guess the answer is the fact these players 'earn' fucking obscene money and clearly don't give a shit.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 11:09:22 PM »
What I don't understand is how well Warnock played in his first six months for us, got injured and how poorly he's played for the last six months?

It can't just be because he was rushed back from injury for the cup final, he's one very cupable player who just seems to have given up and wants to go evidently.

Online Ian.

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 11:09:39 PM »

Yeah, apart from Luke Young, Nicky Shorey, Habib Beye, Steve Sidwell, Curtis Davies, Marlon Harewood, Shaun Maloney, and Nigel Reo-Coker.

Ok you can not give or improve a players quality if it is not there but most on that list under MON (esp Marlon, Young and Reo) they always gave it their best shot and the body language never looked as if they didnt give a toss.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 11:10:44 PM »
Too many similar types in the squad.  No motivators and leaders on the pitch (not had one since Martin Laursen).  The reason we reached 6th and could go no higher.

We have a team that play well when they all play well together.  When 2 or 3 play below the best, the rest do not seem able to cover for them or have the desire to want to try and lift them.

Never thought I would ever think it, let alone say it, but I think we need a couple of nasty b******s in the side.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal