collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Championship Memories by Gareth
[Today at 07:44:19 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:42:29 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by N'ZMAV
[Today at 07:40:24 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:40:06 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:39:12 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:37:03 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:36:16 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:34:48 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: James Collins, Villa captain.  (Read 6519 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: James Collins, Villa captain.
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 10:22:07 AM »
It has nothing to do with tossing the coin and having a photograph with the referee.

It is about leadership on the pitch.   It is about bollocking lazy players, calming down nervous ones, restraining angry players' it is about showing fight when we go goals down and not letting heads drop.   It is about sorting out set pieces and not letting inexperienced players get carried away (a good example being Marc Albrighton taking a quick sloppy short throw in injury time when it should have been bombed into the box) it is about expressing  fair views to the referee when clearly wrong calls have been made.   It is about making sure the players acknowledge the travelling fans and do not just slink off down the tunnel.  It is about showing bravery and commitment when all those about him are not up for the fight.   It is about telling Downing the basic truth that he is much more likely to get hurt bottling tackles than making them,

Those are just a few reasons we need a captain and we would be a better side for having somebody who could do those things.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 10:38:55 AM »
It has nothing to do with tossing the coin and having a photograph with the referee.

It is about leadership on the pitch.   It is about bollocking lazy players, calming down nervous ones, restraining angry players' it is about showing fight when we go goals down and not letting heads drop.   It is about sorting out set pieces and not letting inexperienced players get carried away (a good example being Marc Albrighton taking a quick sloppy short throw in injury time when it should have been bombed into the box) it is about expressing  fair views to the referee when clearly wrong calls have been made.   It is about making sure the players acknowledge the travelling fans and do not just slink off down the tunnel.  It is about showing bravery and commitment when all those about him are not up for the fight.   It is about telling Downing the basic truth that he is much more likely to get hurt bottling tackles than making them,

Those are just a few reasons we need a captain and we would be a better side for having somebody who could do those things.

exactly, thats why I cant think of one player...   theres no bollocks in this team...     maybe NRC If he starts...

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 10:45:49 AM »
He's shite.

Offline glasses

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 10:54:46 AM »
He is our best centre midfielder.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 11:05:59 AM »
So many knowledgeable viewpoints.

I thought so too.
We do so consider carefully and with measured words.

Offline rutski

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 11:13:25 AM »
Wrong decision Collins is rubbish
so far matt, most of your comments have been less than constructive, 3 posts, all negative, i smell something!

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 11:21:02 AM »

Well said, Brian. I am in complete agreement with that. We lack a real 'leader' on the pitch and have done for quite a long time.

Offline villa1

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 11:55:38 AM »
Absolutely correct Brian.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 12:14:47 PM »
There is only NRC in our squad that would tick the list of Brian's requirements.

We have not had a proper captain in my eyes since Southgate or even possibly before him, Townsend.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 12:20:06 PM »
He is our best centre midfielder.

You should probably add "...and guide dog" to your username.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 12:39:08 PM »
I would have made Friedel captain.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 12:48:54 PM »
Not even sure if Collins deserves to be in the team on recent performances. If Petrov plays today,surely it'll go back to him.

Offline glasses

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 01:00:40 PM »
Ok LeeB, care to tell who you think our best Centre Midfielder is then? There are people all around your 'witty' post, stating that NRC is possibly the player most suited to being captain, because of his leadership qualities. He is the best tackler in the midfield, he is quick across the pitch, strong, and can run all day long. Ok he perhaps isn't going to play the defence splitting pass, he can play simple passes though, but as an all round midfielder, he ticks more boxes than anyone else for me.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 01:20:29 PM »
He has been the captain of his country a few times and he seems (quite rightly) to take great pride in that.  I'm sure he'll relish the challenge of captaining us. He might even be permanently awarded the captaincy for Wales (he must be in the running) as I read the other day that Bellamy has asked for the captaincy to be handed over to someone else (without knee trouble).

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 02:37:51 PM »
I'm a big fan of Collins in truth. He has made fewer and less shocking mistakes than Dunne who was deservedly dropped. In that team who played Sperms he was just about the best choice. We've lacked most of our leaders this season. For me Petrov, NRC, Dunne (though he doesn't deserve to be in the team on form) and to an extent despite his petulance Ashley Young have the characteristics as leaders.

A lot of crap... Sorry considered viewpoints were on here about Stan, poor player, not a good captain, so on, so forth but we've missed him. He is the type to lead by example, speak to the ref and calm our players down. He doesn't need to be a loud abrasive character to do that. Same with NRC really. NRC is according to those who know him a shy and retiring guy not that abrasive character but he organises and speaks to his team mates.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal