collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 436950 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 10:24:54 PM »
I am sorry I never wanted him in the first place.  But, if anyone seriously thinks he is going to get the sack after 3 months with all the trails of how much he bought into the ethos of the club is deluded.  He is here until at least the end of this season as people can blame the destabilisation of the club squarely at MO'N's departure and the timing of it.  I don't think Houllier will move us forward.  But what annoys me as much as anything are the players - tosspots who get paid upwards of £40k per week and pretend they need someone to tell them how to pass a ball or put the thing into the net.  I fear for us now.  Earlier in the season I said we would not be in a relegation battle when our regulars got back, however, when you consider that there 7 first team regulars that finished the game tonight and we looked clueless and had the piss took out of us against 10 men, it is indeed worrying.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2010, 10:29:04 PM »
I would have to agree and sums up what I feel.

Offline avfc_1874

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2010, 10:34:20 PM »
I find the talk of Allardyce even more depressing than today's result.

Offline levico

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2010, 10:37:12 PM »

So do I but I think we have to come to terms with that's all this Club can afford under Learner. Hopefully that would mean we stay in the Premier League - I don't honestly believe that we will do under GH although we'll have to give him January.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2010, 10:40:40 PM »
 yep. a little bit of me would die if big sam took over.

Offline ronshirt

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2010, 10:45:09 PM »
yep. a little bit of me would die if big sam took over.

Talk dirty to me, Gnasher.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2010, 10:48:20 PM »
I say burn him as sacking isn't enough, and bring in Allardyce, Hughton, Holloway or Warnock.
It would certainly surprise him - I've been told the French were shocked we burnt Joan of Arc considering we boiled most things we ate.

I say give him until the end of the season, on the basis that there's nobody better available and he deserves at least one transfer window to bring his own men in - and ship out the crap.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2010, 10:52:43 PM »

So do I but I think we have to come to terms with that's all this Club can afford under Learner. Hopefully that would mean we stay in the Premier League - I don't honestly believe that we will do under GH although we'll have to give him January.

£120 million. Think about that figure numbnuts.

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2010, 10:53:41 PM »
Give Houllier time I think, the problems we see (which I think are being exaggerated to be honest) are not his sole fault. Yes we were beaten tonight, which I fully expected, but Spurs are a better team than us nowadays and have really classy players, which we simpy don't - a definite result of the MON era.

Houllier is trying to change a lot in a very short space of time, and has been battling with a ridiculous run of injuries, really poor senior players on megawages with attitudes, and an inexperienced squad of young players. Its going to take time, but I really think it will be worth it. We're not going to get relegated, and this is a season of transition.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2010, 11:07:06 PM »
I would never want the mind numbing dross of O'Neill back and Allardyce would be more of the same.

I don't know what to make of GH though.  I love the fact he wants to try and play proper football, and I can see what he is trying to do, but ultimately playing good football and losing is no good to anyone.  He has inherited a squad who were good at playing a certain (limited) way, many of whom either can't or won't adapt or are injured.  So he has turned to the kids and at the moment it isn't working.  Perhaps he would have been better retaining some of the "O'neill" tactics until he'd had a chance to bring in some experienced players more in his image. Evolution not revolution as someone else put it. 

It's also a concern that having started with a squad of only 22 he has apparently fallen out with Dunne, Beye, Ireland and possibly Carew, and sent Davies out on loan.   Okay they've all been less than effective but it doesn't say much for his man management skills. 

The main concern is that he just doesn't really come across as being bothered enough.  But we need to give him a window at least to see what he can do.  Anything less would be harsh indeed.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 11:08:43 PM by ktvillan »

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2010, 11:39:38 PM »
Give Houllier time I think, the problems we see (which I think are being exaggerated to be honest) are not his sole fault. Yes we were beaten tonight, which I fully expected, but Spurs are a better team than us nowadays and have really classy players, which we simpy don't - a definite result of the MON era.

Houllier is trying to change a lot in a very short space of time, and has been battling with a ridiculous run of injuries, really poor senior players on megawages with attitudes, and an inexperienced squad of young players. Its going to take time, but I really think it will be worth it. We're not going to get relegated, and this is a season of transition.

Whilst hearing what you say, let me make a very stark statement.  A year ago, we were running neck and neck with Spurs in the race of r 4th place, in fact, some pundits made us favourite.  Tonight, against the same side, we looked like nothing more than a 'plucky' Championship side who had drawn them in the FA Cup third round - ie gave it our all but really never looked like winning in the slightest.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2010, 11:49:47 PM »
I would sack GH tomorrow, get in a manager who will spend wisely and drive us up to 6th or 7th this season then take us into the top four next season.  Any idea who that manager is?  Nor me....

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2010, 11:51:38 PM »
I wouldn't sack him and especially not for Allardyce, I could not face him managing Villa.

Nor me.  I'd rather do an Accrington Stanley than be managed by him.

Offline Gazinks

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2010, 11:51:45 PM »
I know this should be about Houllier but would we be in this position if Randy had spent some Pounds when it mattered on getting or retaining certain players re:Milner. I voted to give GH a transfer window at least but after watching the loss to Spurs, I'm really worried. Who is in the market now that might fix our problems and at the very best, stay in the EPL?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2010, 11:53:28 PM »
On Sky Soccer Saturday today (well Sunday) they said that Lerner had not spent a penny (on players) during the whole of 2010.  ~Is that correct.  Because if it is, he is culpable in part as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal