collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:54:17 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:51:38 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur Post-Match Thread  (Read 48070 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur Post-Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 07:35:22 PM »
Lichaj was good too. Fonz was lively without being a goal threat really. We are in a relegation battle no ifs or buts about it. An utter shambles late on, Collins up front and just hoofing. Zero imagination or guile. To many good solid EPL performers are playing terribly at the moment for it to be a coincidence. I really believe that a majority of the players have no faith in the manager and it is reflecting in their performances. A huge transformation of the playing staff next month is a massive risk, but that risk is too much to take with a manager who cant get anywhere close to the best out of the players at his disposal at present. Houllier must go. Awful team selection today. The side has zero gameplan from what I can see and if we dont get rid any player with a semblance of ambition will leave. Blaming MON, injuries or anything else is excuses really. We made an awful appointment and it is time to face reality before its too late.

Friedel 6
Lichaj 7
Cuellar 4
Collins 4
Warnock 4
Albrighton 6
Delph 7
Hogg 4
Downing 5
Gabby 5
heskey 5
Fonz 6
Pires 6
Petrov 6

Offline Macho Man Randy Savage

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 07:36:14 PM »
I didn't really think we played that badly, but we are simply not creative enough in the final third and Spurs soaked up most the pressure we put on them in the second half. Heskey certainly makes a difference to our team and it was a shame to see him go off.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 07:36:30 PM »
I think there's too much emotion now but with Lihij albrighton Hogg Delph Delfouneso Clark and Bannan we have a bright future.

Thats 7 players if 4 come good were in a good position.

Unless Man City come after them.  Or any top half team for that matter.

Offline Lobsterboy

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2010, 07:36:44 PM »
The central midfield selection was naive at best, the team performance utterly predictable and  the next two games can be written off on that performance (and pretty much every other performance under Houllier this season)

Lichaj and Albrighton were the only bright spots for me along with the return of a fit again Delph but we look relegation material at the moment...

Merry Christmas One and All!

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2010, 07:36:53 PM »
Our first half cost us, second half we was good, looked a lot better and looked a team, futures bright and judge houllier in june when he's had time to buy and sell and he's had a season
Keep the faith, were Villa, anything can happen!

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2010, 07:37:45 PM »
Spurs defence are crap on the floor so we pump countless crosses in at head height.

All very predictable.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2010, 07:38:23 PM »
So poor. If not for the young players, we'd be beyond hopeless. I think we're seeing the marked difference O Neill made. He got a lot out of some very limited players. Seems to me that Houllier isn't particular well regarded in the dressing room by certain sections.

The kids will always give it their all and relish game time, but some of the players, like Warnock and Collins look well off their best. Gabby looks a shadow of last season. In fact I'd go as far as to say that O Neill got the very best, and then some, out of a pretty limited player.

The squad aint right, the manager aint right. We need a change.

Hold on he spent a fortune on what you call limited players, you can't have it both ways. I just don't get this lets blame Houllier business, we were beaten by a technically supererior side last season we were getting beaten by skill. Oneill bought hoof players this guy is trying to turn us into a footballing side, yes we were beaten but all the players were Oneills.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 07:39:40 PM »

Have to say very disappointed with that performance.

Basic defending let us down for both goals tbh, Collins for the 1st, and either he or Cuellar should have bought a booking for the 2nd.

Lack of organization in the 2nd half, not enough width, did'nt keep the ball well enough, and did'nt look like creating anything.

Only positives, Licajh, had a reasonable game, as did Fonz when he come on.Delph was ok.

Disappointed in Gabby and Downing  today.Albrighton, again our most dangerous player.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2010, 07:39:56 PM »
Move Houllier upstairs maybe. I don't think he's a relegation scrap manager.....

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2010, 07:40:31 PM »
A gulf in class? Are Sperms that good or are we that bad? It was a good, frenetic game but ultimately the better side won.

I thought the team selection was poor. I'm not 100% against 4-4-2 but against better teams it NEVER works. That said, it wasn't anything like as bad as expected. We needed another man in midfield in both halves for me.

And those of you who complain about 4-5-1 and it's derivatives being negative think about this. What could we have lost by not playing the totally abysmal Agbonlahor? Another man in midfield would have stopped Spurs almost playing at will as they did. Hogg and Delph did their jobs BUT they lacked the assistance that they desperately needed.

Lichaj and Delfouneso were the two standout players for us. Lichaj had an excellent match and dealt well with Bale. Delfouneso was great, always harrying and punishing Sperms defenders. Pires was decent when he came on for me and Delph got better as the game wore on.

We desperately need to get points on the board and I don't really see where the number we need are coming from in the next few weeks. We are lucky that there are a number of really poor teams around.

As for the manager I'm starting to lose patience. I think he deserves until the end of the season but if we don't see green shoots by then once he has brought in his own players and got rid of the deadwood then he should be told thank you and good luck. He should not have carte blanche and an endless timetable but anything too soon is an overreaction. 

I need a lie down. Fuck me I hate losing to Spurs.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2010, 07:40:36 PM »
Sacking GH is risky but so is keeping him.   So far I have seen very little input from him that he can turn it around

Offline Irreverent ad

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2010, 07:41:39 PM »
I am usually an optimist. But I cannot help thinking we are similar to how Newcastle were 2 years ago...

Offline TonyD

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2010, 07:42:25 PM »
I see shades of Forest

Offline ez

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 07:42:34 PM »
I can't believe how much spurs have overtaken us. In fact they are doing everything i hoped we would be doing since Randy took over.

Offline cdward

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 07:43:12 PM »
We gave them the advantage by playing an inexperienced central midfield, why play Delph and Hogg when NRC and Petrov are fit and available. Is Houllier just trying to be the antithesis of MON by playing as many players as possible.
Embarassing to watch us chasing the ball against a team down to 10 men.
Judging by Houlliers comments about Delph being like a new January signing, has the manager been told to play the kids. We were terrible and our goal was just a fluke, we got exactly what we deserved from that game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal