collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:32:30 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young-another gareth barry saga?  (Read 15930 times)

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Ashley Young-another gareth barry saga?
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2010, 10:21:05 AM »
Two years ago ash was one of the best players in the league and priceless to us but he has not progressed and I think we have seen the best of him- maybe he marked out of games and teams nullify him but there is no doubt he has not been as good as he used to be.

If playing ash he must be used as a winger because he simply is not a good enough finisher to play in the middle- in albrighton we have a huge star in the making and ash leaving would not be the end of the world - we have lost better than him and moved onwards.

Don't agree at all.

Our best performances this season have generally been when Ash has played as a second striker, the problem has been that due to the injury situation we've not been able to play a settled side and develop any consistency.

Our best performance under Houllier was against Manu with Downing and Albrighton wide and Ash in the middle (he won the penalty, scored it and also put the ball through to Downing for the second) but until the Baggies team we were unable to play those three again. When they are reunited we have another decent performance and win our first game in ages.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2010, 10:29:29 AM »
Two years ago ash was one of the best players in the league and priceless to us but he has not progressed and I think we have seen the best of him- maybe he marked out of games and teams nullify him but there is no doubt he has not been as good as he used to be.

If playing ash he must be used as a winger because he simply is not a good enough finisher to play in the middle- in albrighton we have a huge star in the making and ash leaving would not be the end of the world - we have lost better than him and moved onwards.

Don't agree at all.

Our best performances this season have generally been when Ash has played as a second striker, the problem has been that due to the injury situation we've not been able to play a settled side and develop any consistency.

Our best performance under Houllier was against Manu with Downing and Albrighton wide and Ash in the middle (he won the penalty, scored it and also put the ball through to Downing for the second) but until the Baggies team we were unable to play those three again. When they are reunited we have another decent performance and win our first game in ages.

I'd agree with all that, and with Heskey back as well, we'll be even stronger. Him and Ash ran Spurs ragged in the first 20 mins at WHL until Emile had to go off. I'd still like to see another striker come in though

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2010, 10:42:42 AM »
I'm agreeing too, Ashley Young is one of our best creative players and I don't think he has regressed. If he does leave us then he will be missed immensely.

Offline eastie

« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »
I take your point chris but I don't feel ash is a natural finisher and alongside heskey or gabby there is not that clinical finisher that we are crying out for, by all means vary things and chase the game when we need to but we really need someone who is going to put chances away.

We have been crying out for years for a natural goalscorer and that's what I'd like to see playing off gabby or heskey- one thing about ash is his workrate is a credit to him and the likes of carew should be ashamed in comparison.

I agree that most of our best performances have been when albrighton and downing have been the wide men and that bodes well for the future if we do lose ash, but the chances created by some of our excellent wing play are not being converted into enough goals and it is for that reason I do not think ash is the man to play off the main striker.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 10:59:02 AM by east19 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal